British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Prescriptions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/prescriptions-602275/)

lj2 Apr 7th 2009 1:40 pm

Prescriptions

I am sure this is a simple one to answer, but I had 12 months worth of Metformin prescribed, when I picked up the prescription they only gave me one month and kept the prescription - how do I get the next 11 months' tablets?

Jerseygirl Apr 7th 2009 1:42 pm

Re: Prescriptions

Originally Posted by lj2 (Post 7459186)
I am sure this is a simple one to answer, but I had 12 months worth of Metformin prescribed, when I picked up the prescription they only gave me one month and kept the prescription - how do I get the next 11 months' tablets?

Go back to the pharmacy each month and collect it.

Elvira Apr 7th 2009 1:44 pm

I expect there will be be 11 refills in the system.

Though you should be able to get 3 months at a time - only one co-pay.

Your pharmacy should be able to explain.

Bill_S Apr 7th 2009 2:26 pm

Do you have a prescription drug benefit plan from your employer/insurer? If so, they should have provided you with written details of how the plan works. The cheapest way to receive maintenance meds is usually 90 day supply by mail. Check to see if that option is available to you.

Otherwise, as stated before, the 11 refills should be in the pharmacy's system. You can probably order your refills online a day or two ahead to save waiting around in the dispensary.

Rete Apr 7th 2009 2:40 pm

A pharmacy will only issue on a month to month basis. Your prescription is kept on file and if you look at your container you will see that it says 11 refills.

I use Medco for my Metformin and get a 90 day supply, every 90 days, with my 12 month prescription from the doctor. I just have to recommend to go online before the 90 days are up to reorder the next 90 days supply.

Duncan Roberts Apr 7th 2009 3:03 pm

No, no, no, you're all wrong! Kind of.

If you are paying cash, which you should be for metformin because it's so cheap, you just have to ask for all the refills at once and they'll give them to you. If you are going through insurance then you will probably be limited to 30 days at a retail pharmacy or 90 days via their preferred mail order one. If you get a 90 day prescription for metformin you can get a 12 month supply in one go for $40, if you have the regular 30 day supply then you will pay $48 a year. Not a huge difference. You can ask for as many refills or as few as you want, the pharmacy will by default give you a 1 month supply but if you want a years worth, or whatever, just ask them for it.

Rete Apr 7th 2009 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 7459487)
No, no, no, you're all wrong! Kind of.

If you are paying cash, which you should be for metformin because it's so cheap, you just have to ask for all the refills at once and they'll give them to you. If you are going through insurance then you will probably be limited to 30 days at a retail pharmacy or 90 days via their preferred mail order one. If you get a 90 day prescription for metformin you can get a 12 month supply in one go for $40, if you have the regular 30 day supply then you will pay $48 a year. Not a huge difference. You can ask for as many refills or as few as you want, the pharmacy will by default give you a 1 month supply but if you want a years worth, or whatever, just ask them for it.

It makes no sense whatsoever to get all 12 months' supply at one time. With diabetes, the drug of choice can change from month to month depending on how your system is working with it. A waste of money to get it all at once.

Duncan Roberts Apr 7th 2009 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 7459586)
It makes no sense whatsoever to get all 12 months' supply at one time. With diabetes, the drug of choice can change from month to month depending on how your system is working with it. A waste of money to get it all at once.

I never said it was always a good idea, just possible. Metformin isn't just used for diabetes and there may be valid reasons to get a lot in one go, long term traveling or for a parent who doesn't live close and is not very willing to fill prescriptions for instance. I know I've "cashed out" 3-4 months at a time before the pharmacies started doing 90/$10 supplies just for convenience. Plus, since it is very cheap it isn't a huge investment.

Mallory Apr 7th 2009 8:23 pm

If you go to Target they will put you on a continuous prescription. You will receive a routine phone call once a month, or every 3 months, which ever your prefer, to pick up yr Rx.

Metformin is on their generic list. You don't need to use your insurance.

$4 a month, or $12 for 90-days supply.

W-M offers the same.