Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Prescriptions

Prescriptions

Old Nov 12th 2004, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Prescriptions

I read Yossers comment on Vioxx and Ibuprophen. I went to the doctors with my osteoarthritis and was prescribed Mobic. This cost me $147 for 30 pills for 30 days. Having compared Mobic and Ibuprophen I asked what the difference between the two was on my next visit. Well Mobic is good for people who have stomach ulcers etc which I do not and consequently took the Ibuprophen with his agreement.
I had to pay a visit to the Cardiologist as well for clearance for the said operation. He prescribed Zocor for my cholesterol (110/32). On my next visit I told him I was going to try an alernative tablet which I purchased over the internet. After he picked himself up off the floor he asked what it was and not ever hearing of it checked it out on the internet and phoned me next day to say he had no problem with doing this. These pills cost $10 for one months supply which is somewhat different to $111. As I am having another check in 3 months time we will both learn something. It is not as though I mind paying my whack but I object to being ripped off. I also intend to purchase them from Canada.

Last edited by tony126; Nov 12th 2004 at 9:53 pm. Reason: grammar
Old Nov 13th 2004, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Prescriptions

Originally Posted by UKintheUSA
What's the name and website for the pills you found? I am very interested.
Go to GNC which is an established company and look for Policosanol, 10mg. Please note the decision to give it a try is entirely mine. Nothing ventured nothing gained and for $10 it is well worth a try. It is possible to buy them slightly cheaper but check it out for your self. I will know my result on Dec 29th.
Old Nov 13th 2004, 10:28 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prescriptions

Originally Posted by tony126
I read Yossers comment on Vioxx and Ibuprophen. I went to the doctors with my osteoarthritis and was prescribed Mobic. This cost me $147 for 30 pills for 30 days. Having compared Mobic and Ibuprophen I asked what the difference between the two was on my next visit. Well Mobic is good for people who have stomach ulcers etc which I do not and consequently took the Ibuprophen with his agreement.
I had to pay a visit to the Cardiologist as well for clearance for the said operation. He prescribed Zocor for my cholesterol (110/32). On my next visit I told him I was going to try an alernative tablet which I purchased over the internet. After he picked himself up off the floor he asked what it was and not ever hearing of it checked it out on the internet and phoned me next day to say he had no problem with doing this. These pills cost $10 for one months supply which is somewhat different to $111. As I am having another check in 3 months time we will both learn something. It is not as though I mind paying my whack but I object to being ripped off. I also intend to purchase them from Canada.
Tony, a lot of doctors get kickbacks from the drug companies for prescribing certain brands of drugs over others, especially over generic brands.

The sectret is to find a doctor who is more concerned about your health and well-being than he is about his bank account.

Let me know if you find one
Old Nov 13th 2004, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Smile Re: Prescriptions

Originally Posted by ScousePete
Tony, a lot of doctors get kickbacks from the drug companies for prescribing certain brands of drugs over others, especially over generic brands.

The sectret is to find a doctor who is more concerned about your health and well-being than he is about his bank account.

Let me know if you find one
Thanks for that but my American wife has strong views on that topic also. The important thing is to be aware of this. I am also wary of statements which rubbish other forms of medicine even if it does come from the FDA. In my short time here the recalls and ensuing law suits give me cause for concern.