Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

prescription co-pay

Wikiposts

prescription co-pay

Old Feb 17th 2010, 6:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: prescription co-pay

Originally Posted by mellybrown
the retail price was $280. Im going to have to assume something to do with the deductable - going to go back and ask for a generic I think!!!
It could be many things but the deductible sounds unlikely based on what you said. Usually with the deductible you will have to meet it before anything is covered which wasn't the case. It looks like you are paying about 20% which isn't bad, that's my retail generic co-pay for instance. Other possibilities are the formulary changed and the drug is in a different pricing tier this year, it's a new prescription and the doctor noted not to substitute generic if available or unlikely but possible, the pharmacy messed up, the drug went up in price, if it's an employee plan the employer may have added some restrictions to get the plan price down or it's a different medication. The only way to find out for sure is to call the insurance company.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 2:37 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Is that even right????
yes

you live in America.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 12:15 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

the retail price was $280. Im going to have to assume something to do with the deductable - going to go back and ask for a generic I think!!!
Everybody bitches about the ins. companies, and not without cause. But can someone tell me why 12 pills are $280 in the first place? Solid gold would be cheaper.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
But can someone tell me why 12 pills are $280 in the first place?
Because everyone needs their cut in the greatest fraud scheme that was ever devised in the history of mankind.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 12:38 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Because everyone needs their cut in the greatest fraud scheme that was ever devised in the history of mankind.
Oh.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 1:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
can someone tell me why 12 pills are $280 in the first place? .
Possibly because the cost of developing and manufacturing the drug are a lot but the market for the drug is in is not large. One of those lifesaver drugs for the people who need it but there are not a lot of people that do. If drug companies cant make money off a drug while it's under patent then there is little motivation to develop the drug in the first place.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 1:36 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Possibly because the cost of developing and manufacturing the drug are a lot but the market for the drug is in is not large. One of those lifesaver drugs for the people who need it but there are not a lot of people that do. If drug companies cant make money off a drug while it's under patent then there is little motivation to develop the drug in the first place.
once a medication becomes OTC, rather than a prescription med, then I wonder what the profit margin is for the developer?
Old Feb 18th 2010, 1:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by cindyabs
once a medication becomes OTC, rather than a prescription med, then I wonder what the profit margin is for the developer?
There are still large costs for them, especially when it's generic, but they make a tidy amount and have a bigger target population.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 2:13 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Melly was referring to a migraine med!!

The reason it is so expensive is because the manufacturer needs to recoup the insane amounts they spend on marketing to doctors and on direct-to-consumer/patient advertising.

(btw, I hope the one Melly is taking isn't the one where they simply added generic naproxen to the now generic migraine med. Now that is pretty close to daylight robbery!)
Old Feb 18th 2010, 2:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Elvira

The reason it is so expensive is because the manufacturer needs to recoup the insane amounts they spend on marketing to doctors and on direct-to-consumer/patient advertising.

(btw, I hope the one Melly is taking isn't the one where they simply added generic naproxen to the now generic migraine med. Now that is pretty close to daylight robbery!)
The market for migraine is pretty small compared to other markets, the total spend in the US on all migraine treatments is well under (about half) the sales of lipitor for instance. That doesn't leave a lot of room for all the different companies to get their money when the costs to develop and market a migraine drug and liptor are not much different. Even though I have no idea I would assume that if you are suffering from a migraine or frequent migraines and a pill can help get rid of it, that would count as a lifesaver. Lifesaver means quality of life as well as life or death.

I'm not saying it's not a problem or the marketing isn't adding to the cost but when companies stop researching and developing treatments because there is no money in it we will all lose out long term.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 3:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Imitrex is now off patent and the only thing on my insurance's formulary at a reasonable price. You can get the generic in "pure" form.

This article suggests that mixing with an anti-inflammatory is actually more effective:

http://www.healthcentral.com/migraine/news-36000-5.html
Old Feb 18th 2010, 8:38 am
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Imitrex is now off patent and the only thing on my insurance's formulary at a reasonable price. You can get the generic in "pure" form.

This article suggests that mixing with an anti-inflammatory is actually more effective:

http://www.healthcentral.com/migraine/news-36000-5.html
I havent refilled my imitrex yet - I need another prescription so i guess we will see if that went up!!! The one i was trying to get is Maxalt - one of those nasty melt in the mouth thingys that work wonderful on migraines - but not that wonderful that Im willing to cough up so much money!!!! Im gonna go back and ask for a generic - dont much fancy calling the insurance people!
Old Feb 18th 2010, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I havent refilled my imitrex yet - I need another prescription so i guess we will see if that went up!!! The one i was trying to get is Maxalt - one of those nasty melt in the mouth thingys that work wonderful on migraines - but not that wonderful that Im willing to cough up so much money!!!! Im gonna go back and ask for a generic - dont much fancy calling the insurance people!
You'll probably need a new presecription - I don't think there's a generic for Maxalt yet; it's a newer drug than Imitrex. If I was you I would call your insurance and find out what they actually cover at what cost. That's one of the positive things about my insurance:- all this info is online which saves a lot of hassle.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Feb 18th 2010 at 8:47 am.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Did you change from the tablet to the melt tab? With my (limited) tools it looks like the price drops dramatically between for the 5mg tablet compared to the 10mg one or the melt tabs.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 9:04 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
You'll probably need a new presecription - I don't think there's a generic for Maxalt yet; it's a newer drug than Imitrex. If I was you I would call your insurance and find out what they actually cover at what cost. That's one of the positive things about my insurance:- all this info is online which saves a lot of hassle.
The first patents for Maxalt and Maxalt MLT currently expire in 2012

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.