Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pres Bush Donates $10,000 to Tsunami Fund

Pres Bush Donates $10,000 to Tsunami Fund

Old Jan 6th 2005, 8:28 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pres Bush Donates $10,000 to Tsunami Fund

Originally Posted by Patent Attorney
... and even Hitler was proud of himself - well, for a while. The Saudi government should be replaced with a democratically elected government. That it can be proud of itself is neither here nor there.
I don't understand this point?

governments in spending aid, are spending their peoples money. They have a duty of care to be fiscally responsible with it. If the Saudi's felt that their $10 million was right for them and their people, I am not going to bash them for it.
Private citizens can also privately donate if they so wish. whether the donation comes out of treasury coffers or private individuals then it is still the peoples money at the end of the day.
Why is no-one bashing the Indonesian/Thai governments for being able to afford to massacre millions (East Timor), human rights abuses all round, buying weapons left right and center. Yet found it wanting when it came to natural sea defences.
Old Jan 6th 2005, 8:42 pm
Franklin

Originally Posted by Manc
I don't understand this point?

governments in spending aid, are spending their peoples money. They have a duty of care to be fiscally responsible with it. If the Saudi's felt that their $10 million was right for them and their people, I am not going to bash them for it.
Private citizens can also privately donate if they so wish. whether the donation comes out of treasury coffers or private individuals then it is still the peoples money at the end of the day.
Why is no-one bashing the Indonesian/Thai governments for being able to afford to massacre millions (East Timor), human rights abuses all round, buying weapons left right and center. Yet found it wanting when it came to natural sea defences.
Isn't that the point ... what people or governments send is up to them. Yeah, I think you are right on that score; I withdraw my statement about the pathetic Saudi government's contribution!

Yeah, East Timor is a big issue. Indonesia has spent a countless fortune killing their own citizens. Much of their equipment obtained from the same countries that are now giving them aid! It's a funny old world sometimes. I am just waiting for the big-yin ... that yellow flavored supervolcano ... a ticking time bomb which will likely turn our prophesized global warming into a nuclear like winter of doom and gloom with around 100,000 Americans wiped and maybe a billion or so world wide. I was going to write a book on it, but never got a "roundtuit".

It's a dog's life sometimes ... then you find ...

Old Jan 6th 2005, 8:43 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't that the point ... what people or governments send is up to them. Yeah, I think you are right on that score; I withdraw my statement about the pathetic Saudi government's contribution!

Yeah, East Timor is a big issue. Indonesia has spent a countless fortune killing their own citizens. Much of their equipment obtained from the same countries that are now giving them aid! It's a funny old world sometimes. I am just waiting for the big-yin ... that yellow flavored supervolcano ... a ticking time bomb which will likely turn our prophesized global warming into a nuclear like winter of doom and gloom with around 100,000 Americans wiped and maybe a billion or so world wide. I was going to write a book on it, but never got a "roundtuit".

It's a dog's life sometimes ... then you find ...
wait until half of Gran Canaria slips into the Sea, you'll wish you were still in Chicago instead of the Eastern Seaboard.
Old Jan 6th 2005, 8:53 pm
Franklin

wait until half of Gran Canaria slips into the Sea, you'll wish you were still in Chicago instead of the Eastern Seaboard.

Manc, I have thought long and hard about this. Many an hour, much rumination, lots of sparks and lightning ... then I read about that Nostra-dude who predicted that a great lake would be impacted by a great flying rock (meteorite?) and will cause a calamity so large that all around will die and be drenched (tidal wave?). So Manc, I would move if I was you ... out here ... you and your other 'alf and the kids plus the kitchen sink .. out here to DC land ... on the east coast ... you said you would like to live in any city ... here's your excuse ... catch that plane, flag down that boat, get the movers in, but get here. You hear.

Old Jan 6th 2005, 8:56 pm
@matthewb76

Manc, I have thought long and hard about this. Many an hour, much rumination, lots of sparks and lightning ... then I read about that Nostra-dude who predicted that a great lake would be impacted by a great flying rock (meteorite?) and will cause a calamity so large that all around will die and be drenched (tidal wave?). So Manc, I would move if I was you ... out here ... you and your other 'alf and the kids plus the kitchen sink .. out here to DC land ... on the east coast ... you said you would like to live in any city ... here's your excuse ... catch that plane, flag down that boat, get the movers in, but get here. You hear.
the great lake could also be the atlantic...........

but yes, I wouldn't be adversed to moving to a city, any city.
(even Liverpool)
Old Jan 6th 2005, 9:04 pm
Franklin

but yes, I wouldn't be adversed to moving to a city, any city.
(even Liverpool)

This might hurt. Take a seat ... but I much prefer Liverpool over Manchester. I lived for a while about half way between both cities ... and boy did I get to hate Manchester but fell in love with Liverpool. Liverpool has a great historic area downtown, and I can vouch for its YMCA - in fact I have a few funny stories about visiting that YMCA. Everything is so cheap in Liverpool. I had a friend who was doing part of his masters degree in biotechnology at Liverpool's School of Tropical Medicine. I tell ya like a Yak, "if I had my time again" I would do my undergrad at Liverpool University.

Last edited by Patent Attorney; Jan 6th 2005 at 9:10 pm.

Old Jan 6th 2005, 9:06 pm
Franklin

*snip*
"... and the great lake was in a great country" ... start packing dude ... you have heard it from a bro.

Old Jan 6th 2005, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

... The Saudi government should be replaced with a democratically elected government.
As opposed to the Bush regime from 2000-2004 then ?
Old Jan 6th 2005, 9:13 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

[SIZE=2]but fell in love with Liverpool.
Liverpool's great! my Aunty & family lives there so i went often as a child and then spent 2 yrs there at University....it's a really cool place ,everything within walking distance and you don't have the Uni set up so you only end up mingling with boring students
After being in the States so long the last time i went to Liverpool i could have just sat down on a bench in the city center and soaked up the atmosphere
Old Jan 6th 2005, 9:34 pm
Franklin

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
As opposed to the Bush regime from 2000-2004 then ?
Well let's see ... we just had another ballot; if the people thought Bush did not deserve getting to be President in 2000, the people sure didn't vote that way in 2004 did they? Bush is now a two term president who on information and belief got more votes in absolute terms in 2004 than any other US President in history ... even more than the "great communicator". The real issue has more to do with the Democratic Party - what does the Democratic Party have to change to get back in power?

Old Jan 6th 2005, 9:39 pm
Franklin

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
Liverpool's great! my Aunty & family lives there so i went often as a child and then spent 2 yrs there at University....it's a really cool place ,everything within walking distance and you don't have the Uni set up so you only end up mingling with boring students
After being in the States so long the last time i went to Liverpool i could have just sat down on a bench in the city center and soaked up the atmosphere
That's one of the main things I loved about Liverpool ... everything is so close by and so cheap. I could not get over how cheap one could live in Liverpool and it is a GREAT CITY! I loved visiting Liverpool. I loved its downtown buildings. It was like a smaller version of Glasgow, great atmosphere. You know you are in Glasgow like you know you are in Liverpool, both cities are full of atmosphere and character and much underrated, imho. I grew up in London, but marveled at Liverpool and Glasgow.

Old Jan 6th 2005, 9:50 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Now where in my post did I mention anything about the Democrats? I don't give a toss about either the Republicans or the Democrats - as I don't get a vote.
Don't worry! If you post anything that even hints GWB is a total wanker, PA assumes you are a Democrat. IMVHO, it just shows other posters that your brain is still working.
Old Jan 6th 2005, 10:35 pm
Franklin

Now where in my post did I mention anything about the Democrats? I don't give a toss about either the Republicans or the Democrats - as I don't get a vote.

I just think that $40 million for a party to celebrate the President getting in for another 4 years is totally obscene, no matter who is paying for it or which political party is in power (especially when 40 million Americans don't even have health insurance).

Don't you think that a $10k donation is a tad stingy from the guy whom is looked up to as the 'leader' of the free world? I bet his suits or Laura's dresses cost $10k apiece....
And you don't think the issue has been politicized? Yet you remouth the political angle like a good 'un. I think the figure is over 40 million Americans without health insurance and I agree this is a bigger issue than the recent disaster. One is natural, the other is man made. It is a HUGE issue and should be resolved. I think it is a scandal that it has not been resolved and I fully support health care for all, but I also recognize that it has to be paid for and so I support doubling the cost of gas to help pay for it, taxing cigarettes to the hilt, adding tariffs to imported luxury goods, cutting back on unnecessary expenditures, pulling out of the WTO so we can set tariffs on luxury goods, returning to full employment (will help if we quit the WTO), collecting more taxes in lieu of full employment, giving tax breaks to companies that do their R&D in the USA to give the USA a greater edge (under WTO rules we can't do that), removing all drugs costs to retirees, moving all non-national security federal assets out of the DC/MD/VA metro area including the NSF (decamp to Iowa), NIH (to Utah), USPTO to SD etc.

Last edited by Patent Attorney; Jan 6th 2005 at 10:39 pm.

Old Jan 6th 2005, 11:01 pm
Franklin

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Don't worry! If you post anything that even hints GWB is a total wanker, PA assumes you are a Democrat. IMVHO, it just shows other posters that your brain is still working.

Oh Fatbrit, me thinks you do me too much honor!

Old Jan 6th 2005, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

Jess5377 is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't you think that a $10k donation is a tad stingy from the guy whom is looked up to as the 'leader' of the free world? I bet his suits or Laura's dresses cost $10k apiece....

His clothes are in all likelihood free. And as President he is only earning $200k p/yr before taxes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.