Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pres Bush Donates $10,000 to Tsunami Fund

Pres Bush Donates $10,000 to Tsunami Fund

Old Jan 5th 2005, 8:53 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Pres Bush Donates $10,000 to Tsunami Fund

....yet his inaugaration party this month is going to cost approx $40 million?

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...278327,00.html

I usually switch on the BBC news in the morning when I get up (BBC America in the living room and BBC World Service radio in the kitchen. At 7am Eastern time (12 noon UK) today I was surprised to see/hear the chimes of Big Ben.

The cameras went to different locations in the UK showing people (including commuters at the railway stations, Heathrow - planes stopped from departing and landing - Foreign Office staff, schools, survivors in York, Stock Exchange etc.) observing a three minute silence for the Tsunami victims. Not a word of commentary from TV or radio whilst the silence was being observed. I understand that this was taking place throughout Europe.

Are they going to do that in the USA - I'm not aware of any announcements?
Old Jan 6th 2005, 1:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pres Bush Donates $10,000 to Tsunami Fund

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I assume tax payers will be paying for his party? Makes me sick.
Old Jan 6th 2005, 1:26 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Muswell Hill
I assume tax payers will be paying for his party? Makes me sick.
Old Jan 6th 2005, 1:44 am
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Pres Bush Donates $10,000 to Tsunami Fund

this is a pretty small 'token' gesture!!! - he probably only did it for the good publicity!!!

Ant
Old Jan 6th 2005, 1:57 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Moral values, eh?
Old Jan 6th 2005, 2:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute

.... $40 million?
Fiscal conservatism.....HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :scared:
Old Jan 6th 2005, 2:20 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

would buy an awful lot of armour for Humvee's wouldn't it?
Old Jan 6th 2005, 6:59 pm
Franklin

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...278327,00.html

I usually switch on the BBC news in the morning when I get up (BBC America in the living room and BBC World Service radio in the kitchen. At 7am Eastern time (12 noon UK) today I was surprised to see/hear the chimes of Big Ben.

The cameras went to different locations in the UK showing people (including commuters at the railway stations, Heathrow - planes stopped from departing and landing - Foreign Office staff, schools, survivors in York, Stock Exchange etc.) observing a three minute silence for the Tsunami victims. Not a word of commentary from TV or radio whilst the silence was being observed. I understand that this was taking place throughout Europe.

Are they going to do that in the USA - I'm not aware of any announcements?
I'm sorry, but so what. So Bush has personally given $10k while the GOP (Republican Party) are spending several tens of millions on the inauguration. Hello - knock knock ... the Democratic Party would have spent about the same, both the GOP and the Democratic Party spent about the same during the election. I don't get the connection - sorry.

Right now billions are heading out to the devastated area, the Bush family has Bush senior along with former President Clinton working on raising even more money. Sorry, but I sort of think the Bush family are doing quite a lot actually. This kind of mud slinging will not get the Democratic Party elected - politicizing money raising will likely backfire and further peeve off the red states. Wake up people. This is not going to help get a Democratic President in power at the next election - and more importantly, the Democrats will not have control of Congress. I should think by now the red states are pretty much peeved at the mud slinging that is going on against America. Pretty soon the GOP will benefit from it. Wake up people.

Old Jan 6th 2005, 7:10 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patent Attorney
Sorry, but I sort of think the Bush family are doing quite a lot actually.
PA is quite right! Maybe we should also count all donations from corporate America as Bush family as well since he has done so much to increase their obscene profits. Not forgetting, of course, the trust fund twins' contribution to the alcoholic beverage industry...
Old Jan 6th 2005, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

According to USA today, the US has donated $ 1.19 per capita to the tsunami appeal fund. Compared with the Aussies who have made $ 40 per person contribution.

I read that Micheal Schumacher has alone donated $ 10 million, one of his personal bodyguards was killed in the disaster.
Old Jan 6th 2005, 8:06 pm
Franklin

Originally Posted by fatbrit
PA is quite right! Maybe we should also count all donations from corporate America as Bush family as well since he has done so much to increase their obscene profits. Not forgetting, of course, the trust fund twins' contribution to the alcoholic beverage industry...
Ha ha! Trust you to find that angle! I just look at the politics and wonder if it helps the Democrats or will just take more votes away ... sort of like a weighing balance ... the whole thing is now gone politic and has become irrational. One thing for sure, the Demcratic Party needs to go back to its roots and find out what ordinary Americans want; and they don't want to hear unhealthy or unnatural or irrational criticism of the USA by system-politic seen in their eyes as linked to the Democratic Party c/o, for example, Bill O'Reilly's "Talking Points" memo etc blah blah.

Old Jan 6th 2005, 8:08 pm
Franklin

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
According to USA today, the US has donated $ 1.19 per capita to the tsunami appeal fund. Compared with the Aussies who have made $ 40 per person contribution.

I read that Micheal Schumacher has alone donated $ 10 million, one of his personal bodyguards was killed in the disaster.
So Michael has equaled the Saudi Government! Last time I looked at the list of contributers the Saudi government's contribution was one very sad $ 10 million, a super-oil rich government like that.

Old Jan 6th 2005, 8:15 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

So Michael has equaled the Saudi Government! Last time I looked at the list of contributers the Saudi government's contribution was one very sad $ 10 million, a super-oil rich government like that. [/SIZE]
considering, that no-one was asked to donate anything, anyone who has donated anything from $1 to $350 million can be proud of themselves.
Old Jan 6th 2005, 8:18 pm
Franklin

Originally Posted by Manc
considering, that no-one was asked to donate anything, anyone who has donated anything from $1 to $350 million can be proud of themselves.
... and even Hitler was proud of himself - well, for a while. The Saudi government should be replaced with a democratically elected government. That it can be proud of itself is neither here nor there.

Old Jan 6th 2005, 8:23 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Pres Bush Donates $10,000 to Tsunami Fund

I'm sorry, but so what. So Bush has personally given $10k while the GOP (Republican Party) are spending several tens of millions on the inauguration. Hello - knock knock ... the Democratic Party would have spent about the same, both the GOP and the Democratic Party spent about the same during the election. I don't get the connection - sorry.

Right now billions are heading out to the devastated area, the Bush family has Bush senior along with former President Clinton working on raising even more money. Sorry, but I sort of think the Bush family are doing quite a lot actually. This kind of mud slinging will not get the Democratic Party elected - politicizing money raising will likely backfire and further peeve off the red states. Wake up people. This is not going to help get a Democratic President in power at the next election - and more importantly, the Democrats will not have control of Congress. I should think by now the red states are pretty much peeved at the mud slinging that is going on against America. Pretty soon the GOP will benefit from it. Wake up people.

Now where in my post did I mention anything about the Democrats? I don't give a toss about either the Republicans or the Democrats - as I don't get a vote.

I just think that $40 million for a party to celebrate the President getting in for another 4 years is totally obscene, no matter who is paying for it or which political party is in power (especially when 40 million Americans don't even have health insurance).

Don't you think that a $10k donation is a tad stingy from the guy whom is looked up to as the 'leader' of the free world? I bet his suits or Laura's dresses cost $10k apiece....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.