British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Premium (same day) passport renewal in the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/premium-same-day-passport-renewal-uk-629743/)

tonrob Sep 8th 2009 1:52 pm

Premium (same day) passport renewal in the UK

Has anyone renewed their passport this way (during a visit) while living overseas?

I just phoned the number from here and was told that I can't use this service as I need two forms of ID for my appointment that must show a UK address. I told them that as far as I could see from their website that all I needed was my current passport itself and two photos, but she said I needed this additional ID for my appointment so that they knew that I was who I said I was, and this needed to have a UK address on it.

She did sound a bit thick... :unsure:

Duncan Roberts Sep 8th 2009 2:13 pm

Re: Premium (same day) passport renewal in the UK

There's a number on their website to call specifically to set up same day processing for non UK residents. Don't know what it is but when I was looking the other day it wasn't hard to find.

Edit. It's the same number you called. Try again, you might get somebody with a brain!

lisag8070 Sep 8th 2009 3:12 pm

I know we did it 2 years ago with my DD's passport...we waited until we went home for vacation..went down to Liverpool passport office before 10am...paid them their disgustingly inflated fee and I did not have to show them any ID, I just handed them DD's old passport, they took it and told me to come back after 2:30 and voila by 3pm we had her new passport..

like I said it was 2 years ago but I don't think anythings really changed, as long as you pay for the premium process they'll do it...but they did go over the application form with a fine tooth comb..

Sharron_ Sep 8th 2009 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 7914022)
Has anyone renewed their passport this way (during a visit) while living overseas?

I just phoned the number from here and was told that I can't use this service as I need two forms of ID for my appointment that must show a UK address. I told them that as far as I could see from their website that all I needed was my current passport itself and two photos, but she said I needed this additional ID for my appointment so that they knew that I was who I said I was, and this needed to have a UK address on it.

She did sound a bit thick... :unsure:

LOL

I am assuming you mean that you are actually going to visit the passport office in the UK. I did mine in Dec 2007.

They told me the same thing when I called from the states and when I turned up at the passport office in Liverpool the lady laughed. She looked at my passport and said "I can see who you say you are"!!!

But just in case this is what I was told when I called the number in the Number in the UK.

Take a letter from the person you are staying with to say you are staying there and a utility bill in their name. (By the way the passport office in Liverpool didn't ask to see anything).

And when I went back to collect my passport 4 hours later their computers had broken down so I had to give them an address to send my passport to in the UK. I did and still they didn't want to see any evidence of a UK address.

Just make sure you make the appointment at the passport office two weeks in advance. They fill up pretty quickly.

Maggs Sep 8th 2009 3:43 pm

Hi

I went to renew my passport in Newport, Wales this year in July. My parents live in Newport so it was easy to go there. I called the number for same day issue of passports and had to make an appointment for the following week. The forms of ID I took with me were a gas bill from my parents address and I think either my US passport or my driving license plus they needed my old passport. The appointment was at 10 am and I think I had the passport back by 3pm. It was very easy.

Good luck. Maggie :)

tonrob Sep 8th 2009 3:51 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Did call again and asked for someone brain-equipped (they should charge for this as a value-added service).

Their computer accepted my US address and they did say that the UK address required on my application form could be my hotel. Annoyingly I was informed that the downloadable form wouldn't be accepted and that I had to visit a post office on my arrival to pick one up there. Bit of a pain as I'm booked for my appointment a few hours or so after I land, but hey ho.

meauxna Sep 8th 2009 4:45 pm

Tell them you're homeless and they're discriminating against you. I'll be you net a story in the tabloids.

mamasue Sep 8th 2009 9:06 pm

I did it in 2007 in London.... my passport had 3 months to run and I'd recently got married.
Although I was then living in the US, I gave my daughter's UK address... because that's where we stay when we're in London.
We handed the passport in in the morning, with marriage certificate.... went shopping at Harrods, then went back for it in the afternoon.

It was expensive.... over 100 GBP.... but worth every penny..... great service!!!