Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pregnant without health insurance

Pregnant without health insurance

Old Jan 14th 2020, 7:52 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pregnant without health insurance

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
If push comes to shove (sorry about the birth pun!) and you can't get insurance, you may want to consider moving back to the UK until after the birth. It's probably the last thing you want to do, but as a last resort it would be better than starting a family with a huge debt hanging over your heads. Good luck with your pregnancy and the birth of your little one.
The problem with that is that she will still have to pay, she is not a UK resident, so can't access free healthcare, and in the current political climate they are checking on everyone.
Old Jan 14th 2020, 8:24 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
The problem with that is that she will still have to pay, she is not a UK resident, so can't access free healthcare, and in the current political climate they are checking on everyone.
I know what you mean Mike, but if the OP returned with the intention of living in the UK, even for 6 months, then she would be eligible to use the NHS immediately. She's only been gone a month.
Old Jan 14th 2020, 11:22 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

This makes me want to beat my head into a wall. As a healthcare finance worker, I can tell you that people in this situation cost thousands in reimbursed care every year. I don't agree with Trump and Republicans on much, but on this subject I do. What ever happened to personal responsibility? Why is it the job of TX tax payers to bail the OP out of this situation? You haven't even paid one dime into the system!

OP - Go get yourself some insurance. You should not have waited this long, pregnant or not. Assuming the VA won't cover you (and I find it very unlikely they will) you'll need to get insurance through the health exchanges. This pregnancy is going to cost you a lot of money - you should be aware of that from the get go. This is not a situation that you can wait to address, it must be addressed now.

Basically just get insurance with a sensible deductible.....
That last part does not jive well with insurance under the Affordable Care Act.

Last edited by civilservant; Jan 14th 2020 at 11:25 am. Reason: Added more
Old Jan 14th 2020, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard of people getting part time jobs at Starbucks to get their health insurance
Old Jan 14th 2020, 1:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
I've heard of people getting part time jobs at Starbucks to get their health insurance
That probably explains why a Starbucks coffee costs $4 and a cookie costs $2.50.
Old Jan 14th 2020, 6:24 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Why is it the job of TX tax payers to bail the OP out of this situation? You haven't even paid one dime into the system!
She may not have but she didn't get pregnant alone, her husband will have paid in throughout his life and I'm assuming they will both be paying in for many more. Plus in Texas they're making it harder to get an abortion so they'll no doubt have to get used to paying for pregnancies.
Old Jan 14th 2020, 6:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Medicaid, and in this case Emergency Medicaid is I think a Federal programme so not a TX issue.
Old Jan 14th 2020, 7:36 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Medicaid, and in this case Emergency Medicaid is I think a Federal programme so not a TX issue.
I'm not sure what people are referring too as 'Emergency Medicaid' - but usually that literally covers ER visits only.
Old Jan 14th 2020, 8:07 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
I'm not sure what people are referring too as 'Emergency Medicaid' - but usually that literally covers ER visits only.
Have never heard that expression before.
Old Jan 14th 2020, 8:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have any evidence that is actually happening?

There has been a lot of noise in recent years about what should happen and "what the rules say", but I don't think I have seen much evidence of access to healthcare in the UK being policed effectively, and anecdotally on BE, generally people seem to report that there is little or no actual checking being performed at the point of access.
Old Jan 14th 2020, 9:15 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Do you have any evidence that is actually happening?

There has been a lot of noise in recent years about what should happen and "what the rules say", but I don't think I have seen much evidence of access to healthcare in the UK being policed effectively, and anecdotally on BE, generally people seem to report that there is little or no actual checking being performed at the point of access.
Yes, there have been people posting pictures of letters asking them for proof of their UK residence and why they are claiming NHS treatment, this is recent, and one was someone who has been in the UK for 25 years. I suspect it will only get worse.
Old Jan 14th 2020, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, there have been people posting pictures of letters asking them for proof of their UK residence and why they are claiming NHS treatment, this is recent, and one was someone who has been in the UK for 25 years. I suspect it will only get worse.
Worse... Implying validating residency is a bad thing. I sure would support it if I was a UK resident.
Old Jan 14th 2020, 9:29 pm

By "worse", I think you meant "better", or should have done.

As you are a consumer of NHS services, I am mystified as to why you would object to the NHS trying to stop other people stealing NHS services (receiving "free" services) which they are not entitled to? This theft reduces resources available for legitimate consumers, including to you, and which ultimately could undermine the entire viability of the NHS.
Old Jan 15th 2020, 3:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

https://americanpregnancy.org/first-...regnant-women/

Just the top link for Emergency Medicaid, I have seen it most often for those who have children in the US when visiting and then have difficulties renewing their visa and get upset.

Seem to recollect it was quite common in CA and there were a few Court cases for those arranging such treatment.
Old Jan 18th 2020, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

millkeabe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
go to healthcare.gov and see if you qualify for a special enrollment period. Since you've been here for less than 60 days you should qualify.- so tick that button.
I went through the questionnaire using my own texas zipcode so the same results should be relevant to you
I did qualify thank you! I’m all insured now. Such a relief!!

Thank you everyone for all your advice and information.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.