British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Pregnant without health insurance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/pregnant-without-health-insurance-930354/)

millkeabe Jan 13th 2020 6:05 pm

Pregnant without health insurance

I moved to the US a month ago and I have to admit I’ve been a bit lax getting settled in. 90% of my belongings are still in the UK let alone getting any health insurance. Well I’ve just found out I’m pregnant - and now I’m definitely in a pickle!

any tips on how to get some last minute insurance?

- The new requirement that immigrants need to have health insurance is definitely supported by me!! Wouldn’t wish this on anyone! -

Pulaski Jan 13th 2020 6:20 pm

Re: Pregnant without health insurance

Hi Millkeabe, welcome to BE. :)

There are many possible answers to your question, but to help us direct our advice rather than provide a mountain of advice, please can you give us a little more info about your background? On what basis are you in the US, family or work visa, or something else? Are you in fact working? Do you have access to any preferred path to insurance, such as through work (yours or someone else's)? Or are you totally on your own? Also, which state are you living in, as that may affect your options?

The good news is that coverage for pregnancy is mandatory - in other words, you cannot be denied coverage for pregnancy even if you are already pregnant when you sign up for insurance coverage.

millkeabe Jan 13th 2020 6:34 pm

Well thank you, that's certainly reassuring.

I'm living in Texas on a CR1 visa. I'm currently not working but will be looking asap so healthcare through work could be my best bet. I'm a graphic designer and I haven't as yet seen healthcare offered on a any job ads. Is that normal not to advertise it?
My spouse is self employed and uses the free veteran healthcare I believe.

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 13th 2020 6:36 pm

Through work, yours or your spouses is probably the most common.

Speak to your spouse first about adding you.

petitefrancaise Jan 13th 2020 6:41 pm

have you checked to see if your husband's insurance covers you?
It is not normal to advertise it - your job will come with health insurance.

SanDiegogirl Jan 13th 2020 6:44 pm

If you don't get healthcare visa work or your husband, then hope you have a few thousand for pre-natal care and the delivery.

Giantaxe Jan 13th 2020 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by millkeabe (Post 12789222)
Well thank you, that's certainly reassuring.

I'm living in Texas on a CR1 visa. I'm currently not working but will be looking asap so healthcare through work could be my best bet. I'm a graphic designer and I haven't as yet seen healthcare offered on a any job ads. Is that normal not to advertise it?
My spouse is self employed and uses the free veteran healthcare I believe.

VA may cover you as well, depending on what your husband is getting from the VA:

https://www.va.gov/health-care/famil...explore.va.gov

petitefrancaise Jan 13th 2020 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12789226)
If you don't get healthcare visa work or your husband, then hope you have a few thousand for pre-natal care and the delivery.

helpful
at a push, you could investigate your local community college. Here in Austin, you could get reasonably priced student insurance if you signed up for a few credit hours of courses which you didn't even need to attend or finish - I think they've changed the last bit but worth looking into as a last resort.

Guindalf Jan 13th 2020 6:49 pm

VAs usually have coverage that will include a spouse. Check with your husband.

Pulaski Jan 13th 2020 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12789226)

No, if she doesn't, she'll get insurance through an exchange .... or are you talking about the deductible (excess)? .... but that will apply even if her husband has insurance through his work or otherwise.

@milkeabe I am a bit confused though. If your husband is already working and has health insurance, why haven't you been added to his policy?

Originally Posted by Guindalf (Post 12789230)
VAs usually have coverage that will include a spouse. Check with your husband.

:goodpost: Exactly! This is probably all the advice she needs.

SanDiegogirl Jan 13th 2020 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12789228)
helpful
at a push, you could investigate your local community college. Here in Austin, you could get reasonably priced student insurance if you signed up for a few credit hours of courses which you didn't even need to attend or finish - I think they've changed the last bit but worth looking into as a last resort.

It's practical advise. Being/getting pregnant when first arriving in the US and apparently being clueless about the insurance options, the OP needs to know that,unlike the UK, her pregnancy is going to cost lots of money; which she nor her husband might have. Suggesting she takes up some sort of student role/insurance is less than practical - IMHO

tom169 Jan 13th 2020 6:56 pm

Agreed. Check with VA. If there are complications this could easily run into tens thousands overnight. Hopefully your husband sees the urgency in this.

millkeabe Jan 13th 2020 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12789234)
It's practical advise. Being/getting pregnant when first arriving in the US and apparently being clueless about the insurance options, the OP needs to know that,unlike the UK, her pregnancy is going to cost lots of money; which she nor her husband might have. Suggesting she takes up some sort of student role/insurance is less than practical - IMHO

I'm fully aware of this and looking for my options. But thank you for stating the obvious

SanDiegogirl Jan 13th 2020 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by millkeabe (Post 12789236)
I'm fully aware of this and looking for my options. But thank you for stating the obvious

With the greatest of respect, if things are so obvious to you why are you asking a general forum for 'tips on last minute insurance'

Getting medical insurance appears to have been something you did not take into account when moving to the US.

scrubbedexpat096 Jan 13th 2020 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12789248)
With the greatest of respect, if things are so obvious to you why are you asking a general forum for 'tips on last minute insurance'

Getting medical insurance appears to have been something you did not take into account when moving to the US.

I recognize the irony of another curt and slightly rude post. Buy you've already made several points the OP is aware off but I believe she was actually asking for some advice.....