Reload this Page >

Pregnant without health insurance

Pregnant without health insurance

Old Jan 13th 2020, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

millkeabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pregnant without health insurance

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
With the greatest of respect, if things are so obvious to you why are you asking a general forum for 'tips on last minute insurance'

Getting medical insurance appears to have been something you did not take into account when moving to the US.
I do not have to justify myself to you or explain my situation. If you could kindly refrain from commenting that would be great.
Old Jan 13th 2020, 7:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by millkeabe
I do not have to justify myself to you or explain my situation. If you could kindly refrain from commenting that would be great.

OK .....
Old Jan 13th 2020, 7:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

You don't get that luxury on a public forum. And although I agree with you on the nature of those posts, remember that threads are read by others than the OP, i.e. than you. Presumably because of the availability of the NHS, we see many posts on here from people who have given little or no thought to healthcare before moving. So if this thread helps folks about to move to think more about healthcare access in advance of moving, then that's all good.

Anyway, good luck with your situation. I do think VA is your priority to follow up on, depending on what your husband's access to it is.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jan 13th 2020 at 7:40 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2020, 7:54 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

There are many, 10 I believe levels of VA care. To get the top care you have to have retired after a full service or have some sort of service connected disability.
VA care covers veterans, not their immediate family. There is Tri care, but that's typically for families of serving personnel.
I'm guessing that the VA will not be an avenue that will be of any help.
But on the bright side, there are millions of Americans with absolutely no health insurance and they still seem to manage to pop out babies.

As for the cost, here in N Fl. An Egyptian friend recently had a child, he was not a resident, just here on a 3 month vacation. His out of pocket costs were about $13K.
He did not have access to medicare or any other socialized medical support. He wanted to pay out of pocket with decent hospital care.
The birth was uncomplicated and straightforwards.
On a plus, his daughter now has an American passport.
Old Jan 13th 2020, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by excpomea
There are many, 10 I believe levels of VA care. To get the top care you have to have retired after a full service or have some sort of service connected disability.
VA care covers veterans, not their immediate family. There is Tri care, but that's typically for families of serving personnel.
I'm guessing that the VA will not be an avenue that will be of any help.
But on the bright side, there are millions of Americans with absolutely no health insurance and they still seem to manage to pop out babies.

As for the cost, here in N Fl. An Egyptian friend recently had a child, he was not a resident, just here on a 3 month vacation. His out of pocket costs were about $13K.
He did not have access to medicare or any other socialized medical support. He wanted to pay out of pocket with decent hospital care.
The birth was uncomplicated and straightforwards.
On a plus, his daughter now has an American passport.
The only way she could get coverage thru military would be like you stated would be if husband was retired and she would be eligible for his Tricare. If he is just a veteran with less than retired status the VA will cover only him and not dependants.
Old Jan 13th 2020, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, then Medicaid, assuming the OP's husband's income is low enough for her to qualify:

https://yourtexasbenefits.hhsc.texas...women/pregnant

If not, then an ACA policy
Old Jan 13th 2020, 9:21 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

go to healthcare.gov and see if you qualify for a special enrollment period. Since you've been here for less than 60 days you should qualify.- so tick that button.
I went through the questionnaire using my own texas zipcode so the same results should be relevant to you
Old Jan 13th 2020, 11:42 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I moved to the US a month ago and I have to admit I’ve been a bit lax getting settled in. 90% of my belongings are still in the UK let alone getting any health insurance. Well I’ve just found out I’m pregnant - and now I’m definitely in a pickle!

any tips on how to get some last minute insurance?

- The new requirement that immigrants need to have health insurance is definitely supported by me!! Wouldn’t wish this on anyone! -
If push comes to shove (sorry about the birth pun!) and you can't get insurance, you may want to consider moving back to the UK until after the birth. It's probably the last thing you want to do, but as a last resort it would be better than starting a family with a huge debt hanging over your heads. Good luck with your pregnancy and the birth of your little one.
Old Jan 13th 2020, 11:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Emergency Medicaid is the fall back, assuming they qualify.
Old Jan 14th 2020, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Many hospitals will offer discounts / aid if income is a % of poverty level. They won't advertise this, but you can ask.
Old Jan 14th 2020, 2:10 am
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

https://apple.news/A5ovMV6ShRC-Uhj9mxxuBqA

Old Jan 14th 2020, 2:37 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

The OP doesn’t say that it is financial difficulty that has precluded her getting insurance, but lack of organization. Therefore her options are to be added to whatever coverage her OH has or to apply to the state ACA entity and she should investigate both immediately. Good luck and congratulations on the pending happy event!
Old Jan 14th 2020, 4:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Ok, then Medicaid, assuming the OP's husband's income is low enough for her to qualify:

https://yourtexasbenefits.hhsc.texas...women/pregnant

If not, then an ACA policy
Originally Posted by Boiler
Emergency Medicaid is the fall back, assuming they qualify.

I think Medicaid rules have changed for visa holders haven't they? I don't think they qualify anymore.
Old Jan 14th 2020, 6:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I think Medicaid rules have changed for visa holders haven't they? I don't think they qualify anymore.
NY and CA give it from day 1, full Medicaid, anybody can get Emergency Medicaid. Used by tourists for example.
Old Jan 14th 2020, 6:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat096 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by excpomea

So she actually paid #3000 dollars despite the article listing a several conflating costs. And had a very complicated birth...

​​​​ Basically just get insurance with a sensible deductible.....

​​​​​

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.