Reload this Page >

Pregnant Girlfriend

Pregnant Girlfriend

Old Aug 31st 2020, 9:20 am
Just Joined

JDavies17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pregnant Girlfriend

Hi everyone,

I am a UK citizen living in the UK and my girlfriend is a US citizen (living in the US). She came to stay with me for 4 months during COVID lockdown and went back to the US last month to go back to work, since returning she has found out she is pregnant. With the current circumstances surrounding travel with covid we are unsure when we will be able to see each other again and if I will legally be aloud to travel to the US for the birth. We have looked at getting married, however she is unable to travel to the UK at the moment due to the work commitments and not wanting to risk flying due to being pregnant, also we know that even if we did get married the processing time for a spouse visa would take over 12 months.

I believe I would be able to enter the US on an ESTA if I had been out of the UK for 14 days (such as Mexico), however this isn't really an option for me.

I guess I am wondering do I have any options to be able to enter the US without having to go somewhere for 14 days prior?

Thanks
Old Aug 31st 2020, 12:02 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pregnant Girlfriend

Congratulations though perhaps in terms of the outcome you are seeking it could not have happened at a worse time. The birth will be right in the middle of winter when both UK and USA will be in midst of major winter outbreaks and the list of countries with a 14 day quarantine to entry to USA is likely going to shrink. Any attempt to travel to the USA directly from UK triggers the cancellation of a current esta. I think the ESTA is cancelled by the execution of the check in process.

Do you have a current esta and will your esta be current when you wish to travel in x months time? Because my reading of the proclamation and the wording of some of the statements make me wonder if new ESTA's are being approved at the moment from persons based in the UK/Ireland. No one can seem to definitively answer that question for what it is worth.

I have heard of exceptions to the travel ban rules being made during this outbreak for various things you may be able to qualify for one? Others will be along to advise you.

Old Aug 31st 2020, 12:58 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I am wondering do I have any options to be able to enter the US without having to go somewhere for 14 days prior?
In a word, no. poor family planning is not going to get you an exception either. Women have babies without their partner present all the time.

You have already identified your only route to enter the US, but since you are looking at at least 7 months until she is actually due, I don't see why you are needing to panic right now anyway - who knows where we will be in February next year.
Old Aug 31st 2020, 1:25 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant View Post
In a word, no. poor family planning is not going to get you an exception either. Women have babies without their partner present all the time.

You have already identified your only route to enter the US, but since you are looking at at least 7 months until she is actually due, I don't see why you are needing to panic right now anyway - who knows where we will be in February next year.
Ok so if there no exception in this circumstance then the only option might be for the girlfriend to come here to UK?. Don't USC get a 6 month entry? So with a Feb birth date. An October entry assuming that is possible would give enough time during a 6 month admittance to have legal presence in the country. Though whether UK border agency grant the admission is a different question. In terms of flights they are apparently not that full sometimes only 10 or 12 people on a whole plane so the risk of getting the covid on those flights might not be that high?

Though of course any UK quarantine requirements might change between now and later on in the year.
Old Aug 31st 2020, 1:31 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I would not recommend that GF give birth in the UK, even if she can come to the UK.

She has no entitlement to the NHS as a non-resident and would incur a hefty bill. Of course the US may not be any better, but if she does not have insurance through work she can at least receive Medicaid to cover some of the costs.

Note also that getting married in the UK requires a specific visa to do so, unlike the US.
Old Aug 31st 2020, 1:32 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrebell View Post
Ok so if there no exception in this circumstance then the only option might be for the girlfriend to come here to UK?. Don't USC get a 6 month entry? So with a Feb birth date. An October entry assuming that is possible would give enough time during a 6 month admittance to have legal presence in the country. Though whether UK border agency grant the admission is a different question. In terms of flights they are apparently not that full sometimes only 10 or 12 people on a whole plane so the risk of getting the covid on those flights might not be that high?

Though of course any UK quarantine requirements might change between now and later on in the year.
The OP's girlfriend would have to pay the full cost of giving birth in the UK as a visitor.

Being eligible for no cost NHS treatment is dependent on being legally resident in the UK, having indefinite leave to remain, or being a British citizen. Arriving in the UK on a visitor visa, she would be none of those things.
Old Aug 31st 2020, 1:51 pm
Banned

I would not recommend that GF give birth in the UK, even if she can come to the UK.

She has no entitlement to the NHS as a non-resident and would incur a hefty bill. Of course the US may not be any better, but if she does not have insurance through work she can at least receive Medicaid to cover some of the costs.

Note also that getting married in the UK requires a specific visa to do so, unlike the US.
Even though the child will have a claim to British Citizenship due to the British father?

Old Aug 31st 2020, 1:59 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Even though the child will have a claim to British Citizenship due to the British father?
That makes no difference, it's her immigration status that's relevant.
Old Aug 31st 2020, 2:00 pm
Often not so civil...

What has that got to do with anything? The child isn't the one seeking the medical care.
Old Aug 31st 2020, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

Access to the NHS is based on residency, not citizenship. A non-UK citizen who resides in the UK can access it (irrespective of whether or not they have “paid into it” or not), a UK citizen who lives overseas and returns for a visit cannot, save for very basic emergency treatment. There is a misunderstanding among many Brits living overseas that they can return to the UK for medical treatment because they “paid into it” whilst living in the UK or purely because they are British. It doesn’t work like that. If you needed emergency care whilst visiting you would receive that, but only the bare minimum to patch you up so that you can return to wherever you live. You can’t travel to the UK for the purpose of a hip replacement or something like that and expect the NHS to cover it.
Old Aug 31st 2020, 3:27 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JDavies17 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am a UK citizen living in the UK and my girlfriend is a US citizen (living in the US). She came to stay with me for 4 months during COVID lockdown and went back to the US last month to go back to work, since returning she has found out she is pregnant. With the current circumstances surrounding travel with covid we are unsure when we will be able to see each other again and if I will legally be aloud to travel to the US for the birth. We have looked at getting married, however she is unable to travel to the UK at the moment due to the work commitments and not wanting to risk flying due to being pregnant, also we know that even if we did get married the processing time for a spouse visa would take over 12 months.

I believe I would be able to enter the US on an ESTA if I had been out of the UK for 14 days (such as Mexico), however this isn't really an option for me.

Thanks
What is your ultimate goal? If the ultimate goal is for you to live in the USA with her and the baby, then I suggest she start the K-1 fiance visa process ASAP. You wouldn't get it in time for the birth, but you'd ultimately live in the USA.

For the birth, keep a valid ESTA and see where the countries policies are at when it gets to a month before she's due to deliver. Have the conversation with her now to prepare yourselves that you might not be present at the birth.

Rene
Old Aug 31st 2020, 5:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

She has no entitlement to the NHS as a non-resident and would incur a hefty bill. ........
If that is an option (GF going to the UK to give birth), she should find out if her US health insurance would cover the cost of the birth outside the US. I believe that US health insurance commonly does cover treatment outside the US, presumably because the cost outside the US is often much cheaper than the same treatment in the US.
Old Aug 31st 2020, 6:56 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
If that is an option (GF going to the UK to give birth), she should find out if her US health insurance would cover the cost of the birth outside the US. I believe that US health insurance commonly does cover treatment outside the US, presumably because the cost outside the US is often much cheaper than the same treatment in the US.
Assuming this is still possible how long would it take to register the birth and get baby's american passport and british passport even because the American mother should not overstay her 6 month window? And the baby will need passport to return to USA. And it is a short window even travelling in October before things are predicted to get bad. Also consider the airlines allowing pregnant women to travel. That is another deadline. There might not be enough time you know.
Old Aug 31st 2020, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
The OP's girlfriend would have to pay the full cost of giving birth in the UK as a visitor.

Being eligible for no cost NHS treatment is dependent on being legally resident in the UK, having indefinite leave to remain, or being a British citizen. Arriving in the UK on a visitor visa, she would be none of those things.
A pregnant woman shows up during covid at border control with a visitor's (or no) visa? I'd say the probability of being denied entry is extremely high.
Old Aug 31st 2020, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
A lot of policies cover emergency care. I'm not convinced they'd cover a birth chosen to happen outside the US.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.