Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pregnant Girlfriend

Pregnant Girlfriend

Old Aug 31st 2020, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pregnant Girlfriend

I'd be hugely surprised if a US health insurance company would cover having a delivery overseas - i.e you elect to have the birth overseas.

While some policies might cover complications due to pregnancy when a pregnant woman is out of the US (i.e medical issues), choosing to have the birth overseas is not something I could envisage.

The woman returned to the US after 4 months in the UK - wonder what type of job or type of insurance she has which allows for that much vacation. (Covid would NOT have prevented her returning to the US)
Old Aug 31st 2020, 6:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
I'd be hugely surprised if a US health insurance company would cover having a delivery overseas - i.e you elect to have the birth overseas. .....
Elective surgery by US citizens visiting countries in Latin America, including some countries in the Caribbean, is not unusual.

That said, I agree that a woman choosing to give birth in another country from where she lives, would be a little strange, ..... unless she was Chinese.
Old Aug 31st 2020, 6:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Elective surgery by US citizens visiting countries in Latin America, including some countries in the Caribbean, is not unusual.
It isn't, but typically in those cases it's the person themselves paying for it, not insurance. Another risk with a birth is what happens if there are complications for baby (or mother) post birth? It could be an expensive proposition even at NHS prices.

What's missing in this discussion is what healthcare the OP's girlfriend has. Seems she's employed... what coverage, if any, does that provide? If nothing, is she eligible for Medicaid?

Last edited by Giantaxe; Aug 31st 2020 at 6:33 pm.
Old Aug 31st 2020, 6:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

If the birth is due in February 2021 then the OP should plan to be in the US around that time - quarantine period notwithstanding.

As said, they are not going to get a spouse visa for the US between now and then; they are not going to be able to give birth on the NHS (budget for around 15K GBP for a private birth) without obtaining a spouse visa for girlfriend; if the OP qualifies for the financial requirements to get a spouse visa for her for the UK (and pays for priority service) they might get a visa and slide in under the 36th week of pregnancy for flying.

Presuming the girlfriend has medical insurance to cover the birth in the US, personally, I think, that sounds like the best idea.
Old Aug 31st 2020, 6:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... slide in under the 36th week of pregnancy for flying. .
I believe for most airlines it's around the 31st week - two months before your due date.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 31st 2020 at 6:56 pm.
Old Aug 31st 2020, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I believe for most airplines it's around the 31st week - two months before your due date.

Googling, one finds anything from 28 (if you are carrying 2 or more! sheesh) up to 37 weeks if healthy and raring to go...... dates change even between airlines... so you need to check
Old Aug 31st 2020, 8:00 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
A pregnant woman shows up during covid at border control with a visitor's (or no) visa? I'd say the probability of being denied entry is extremely high.
If she has an issued visa to enter the UK, then there are virtually no grounds on which she can be denied entry.
Old Aug 31st 2020, 8:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
If she has an issued visa to enter the UK, then there are virtually no grounds on which she can be denied entry.
What if they believe there's a significant risk of overstay?

Given the UK is trying to discourage tourist visits due to covid, would she even get a tourist visa in advance right now?
Old Aug 31st 2020, 8:14 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Given the UK is trying to discourage tourist visits due to covid, would she even get a tourist visa in advance right now?
If the person has a visa issued at a UK Embassy, Consulate or High Commission the only ground for refusing entry at a port is being able to show the visa was fraudulently obtained.

After I typed my first comment I was trying to think when that rule came in. It was while I was still working alongside immigration at LHR, and before I was posted as controller in the National Ports Office. So prior to mid 2002. Up until then if an immigration officer thought someone might not comply with the rules they could refuse entry.
Old Aug 31st 2020, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

She's American... she does not need a tourist visa....

A tourist visa (for those that need them) does not allow you to use the NHS for giving birth anyway.....

If, as previously said, she obtained a spouse visa and could enter the UK before the birth then she could give birth in the UK
Old Aug 31st 2020, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

She's American... she does not need a tourist visa....
A US citizen doesn't need one to visit as a tourist, but I have known Americans get one because (i) it reduces (apparently removes) the risk of being turned away on arrival and (ii) not being granted entry for as long as you want to stay, particularly if they want to be in the UK close to the six months possible on such a visa.

A tourist visa (for those that need them) does not allow you to use the NHS for giving birth anyway.....

Allow free use. I guess it could be an option if they are willing to pay. Not one I'd in the slightest recommend though.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Aug 31st 2020 at 9:57 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2020, 7:54 am
Just Joined

JDavies17 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for the responses. My girlfriend is covered medically from her employer and is choosing to have the baby in the US, so no need to worry about cost of having the baby in the UK.

From what I've read and everyones responses there isn't much I can do other than wait and see how the borders are in a few months time. Worst case scenario I have to go to Mexico for 14 days prior to entry into the US if my ESTA allows me too.

Long term plan is to get married and eventually go down that route.
Old Sep 1st 2020, 11:09 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I'm hoping that the '17' at the end of your name is not your age - or you might have immigration problems for a few years if wanting to move to the US.
Old Sep 1st 2020, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
I'm hoping that the '17' at the end of your name is not your age - or you might have immigration problems for a few years if wanting to move to the US.
I thought the minimum age is 18 for K-1 and CR-1
Old Sep 1st 2020, 1:02 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking it was 21... will have to go check.

EDIT: It is indeed 18. Consider my point withdrawn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.