Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pregnancy In USA

Pregnancy In USA

Old May 11th 2010, 3:51 pm
Banned

aussie_best has a spectacular aura aboutaussie_best has a spectacular aura aboutaussie_best has a spectacular aura about
Question Pregnancy In USA

Hi,

My hubby is AT&T direct employee and he is on AT&T standard medical cover.The plan have $2400 deductible per year for family.The plan covers preventive methods. I applied for the immunization claim of my child but its very hard to get a single penny back as they need diagnostic codes and CPT codes on all claims. We have HSA savings account which have tax complications (eligible expenses**). He is on H1B and today I figured out that I am pregnant :-) May be I heard a lot of horror stories related with medical insurances and pregnancy cost etc. in US.

I know it will be tough but I see no options....

Cheera

Last edited by aussie_best; May 11th 2010 at 4:07 pm.
Old May 11th 2010, 3:58 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pregnancy In USA

I've read your post several times and don't know what you are asking us?

You should have had your doctor submit his bill for payment directly to the healthcare insurer rather than you paying for it out of pocket and then going to reimbursement. This is normally how it works.

What are the tax complications with an HSA? I have had one for many years and have no tax complications with it.

Congratulations on your pregnancy but what is it you want to know?

Also why have you mentioned your visa fees?
Old May 11th 2010, 5:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Get in contact with your insurance provider, they should be able to help.

Usually, your doctor submits to the insurance and then ages later you get a bill for any out standings that the insurance doesn't pick up.
Old May 11th 2010, 9:48 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

As others said, get the doctors do the submissions. It not a DIY project unless you know things like codes and whatnot, which nearly no one understands.

There are special caveats in most insurance plans re: pregnancy, usually to your benefit. Contact your insurer to find out the specifics. For example, our first born cost only $40 out of our own pocket and insurance covered the rest.
Old May 12th 2010, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

Dreamingaloud is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by penguinsix
As others said, get the doctors do the submissions. It not a DIY project unless you know things like codes and whatnot, which nearly no one understands.

There are special caveats in most insurance plans re: pregnancy, usually to your benefit. Contact your insurer to find out the specifics. For example, our first born cost only $40 out of our own pocket and insurance covered the rest.
$40 and you had more kids?! Who said kids were cheap eh!
Old May 12th 2010, 6:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussie_best
Hi,

My hubby is AT&T direct employee and he is on AT&T standard medical cover.The plan have $2400 deductible per year for family.The plan covers preventive methods. I applied for the immunization claim of my child but its very hard to get a single penny back as they need diagnostic codes and CPT codes on all claims. We have HSA savings account which have tax complications (eligible expenses**). He is on H1B and today I figured out that I am pregnant :-) May be I heard a lot of horror stories related with medical insurances and pregnancy cost etc. in US.

Cheera
My husband also works for AT&T, the deductible is grand, isn't it? I'm looking at over $1000 of medical bills for when I hurt my wrist this past December, all uncovered by United Healthcare because I haven't met the deductible. The only "good" thing is that the insurance negotiates a lower fee for doctor visits, blood tests, etc.

I have no idea about the pregnancy side of things. But I'm assuming you have to meet your deductible before the insurance kicks in. Sorry....

But congratulations on the pregnancy!
Old May 12th 2010, 6:45 pm
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

Every insurance company handles pregnancy differently. In my case, I have only paid $40 out of pocket so far and that was for an extraneous ultrasound. Beyond that, every single visit and test has been covered 100% (and I've only got 8 weeks to go). I don't have a deductible to meet either. Unfortunately, you have to play their game which often times is not ideal.
Old May 12th 2010, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussie_best
I heard a lot of horror stories related with medical insurances and pregnancy cost etc. in US.

Cheera
I found pregnancy coverage to be the most straight forward of all my dealings with doctors/hospitals/insurance.
Old May 12th 2010, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

I thought you needed to have separate cover for pregnancy. I am going to check our insurance documents. Just in case. (I'd have more kids but hubby isn't keen. He thinks pregnancy examinations, ultrasounds, the birth etc would bankrupt us)
Old May 12th 2010, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahG
I thought you needed to have separate cover for pregnancy.
Unless you are on bare bones basic coverage then no.
Old May 12th 2010, 9:57 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I think most state insurance laws require a plan to cover pregnancy. They don't want expectant mothers to skip appointments because they can afford pre-natal care.
Old May 12th 2010, 9:57 pm
Banned

aussie_best has a spectacular aura aboutaussie_best has a spectacular aura aboutaussie_best has a spectacular aura about
Question Re: Pregnancy In USA

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
My husband also works for AT&T, the deductible is grand, isn't it? I'm looking at over $1000 of medical bills for when I hurt my wrist this past December, all uncovered by United Healthcare because I haven't met the deductible. The only "good" thing is that the insurance negotiates a lower fee for doctor visits, blood tests, etc.

I have no idea about the pregnancy side of things. But I'm assuming you have to meet your deductible before the insurance kicks in. Sorry....

But congratulations on the pregnancy!
I am just curious can the people on H1B/H4 or F1/F2, go for Medicare or Medicaid or CHIP etc.
Old May 12th 2010, 10:02 pm

Depends on the state. See this thread for public health options when pregnant

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...98#post8045998
Old May 12th 2010, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Just had a look at that and wouldn't you know the State I am in is not on the list!
Old May 12th 2010, 10:09 pm
Banned

Question Re: Pregnancy In USA

It looks not that bad (at least some breeze of fresh air). H1B/H4 or F1/F2 can get at least some benefit of paying medicare and social security from their each paycheck...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.