Pre School Options?

Pre School Options?

Old Jun 6th 2012, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Parisangel will become famous soon enough
Default Pre School Options?

Hi All!

Me again with more questions!

My 4 year old (he'll be 5 in March) was due to start school in the UK this September. I gather it's a year later in the US...so is private daycare the only option - he's used to going to nursery 2/3 days a week and for his sanity and mine I'd like him to something - what's the set up? We will be in Houston if that is relevant.

Thanks again
Old Jun 6th 2012, 12:01 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pre School Options?

You want a private pre-Kindergarden, not daycare. He'll go into Kindergarden August 2013 which is state provided.
You'll have a huge range of choice. Church run things are popular here, some of which have huge waiting lists. For the most popular pre-schools, they have a certain day that they start accepting applications for and people queue hours before they open. The one that I picked happened to have a vacancy so I signed up there and then. Your time/day option will depend on where you go. You can get 2 days a week, 3 days a week, or every day. Mine is pre-school at the moment going into pre-k in August. She has done 3 mornings a week this year and next year she goes to 5 mornings a week.
Pre-schools are expensive (IMO). We pay $135/wk for 3 morning. You also have to pay materials fees.
Can't remember if you were transferring over here or coming with a new job. If you are transferring, we get pre-school paid for as it's a cost we wouldn't have has in the UK.
This has loads:
http://www.katymagazine.com/katy-tex...are-preschools
This fair is run twice a year by my moms club;
http://fuellingkaty.com/2010/01/18/7...-this-weekend/
Old Jun 6th 2012, 12:31 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Depends where you are moving to but some school districts offer a half-day "K-4" program. You'll need to check with your school district in the city you are moving to.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 1:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Tends to all depend on school district.

Usually you have to pay and depending on where in the country, can range from $400-1500 a month from couple of part days a week to full time.

Some school areas provide a pre-K for residents, but you may have to have been resident for x amount of time, or there might be a household income requirement.

Realistically, just expect it to be expensive and be pleasantly surprised if it isn't.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 3:28 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Our district runs it's own pre school on each elementary school campus. You can go half days, full days any number of days per week to suit your child. and the price was the same as daycare.
Get cracking soon to find if yours has this option. Ours did registration in May for the next school year, and only empty spots are available now. So not as much choice in what days you go.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

We just signed up DS yesterday. Three days a week, up to 10.5 hours per day between 6am and 6:30pm, $90 per week. In both places we looked at the half days were 80-90% of the price of a full day! Both gave 2x snacks per day but bring your own lunch, microwave provided if required. That's California, not Houston.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GeoffM View Post
We just signed up DS yesterday. Three days a week, up to 10.5 hours per day between 6am and 6:30pm, $90 per week. In both places we looked at the half days were 80-90% of the price of a full day! Both gave 2x snacks per day but bring your own lunch, microwave provided if required. That's California, not Houston.
$90 per WEEK?
I'm assuming that is a public school system, since that sounds like a bargain and I haven't found anything remotely close to that (price wise) in my area.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

As people have mentioned,it depends on your school district but my daughter started Kindergarten the same year she would have done reception in the UK. Our school district was fine with it and she coped with no problem. Depends on the child though and if the SD will let you do that.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Look at co-op preschools if there are any in your area.

My younger two did co-op preschool at age 3 and 4. They did 2 mornings age 3, then 3 mornings age 4. It prepared them enough for kindergarten - similar to how playgroups work in the UK (my oldest was in the UK at that age).

They might also be more reasonably priced than private daycare, but the flipside is you're usually expected to volunteer as a parent-helper and in other roles.

For me it was a great way to get to know other parents, and I made some lasting friendships.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67 View Post
As people have mentioned,it depends on your school district but my daughter started Kindergarten the same year she would have done reception in the UK. Our school district was fine with it and she coped with no problem. Depends on the child though and if the SD will let you do that.
Does she have any problems with being the youngest in the class? We were going to do similar with my oldest when we moved to the US, but she's a June birthday and would have been 1-2.5 years younger than the rest of the class.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
$90 per WEEK?
Correct. The other one was $99 per week but I think slightly less hours.

Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
I'm assuming that is a public school system, since that sounds like a bargain and I haven't found anything remotely close to that (price wise) in my area.
No, private. There are subsidized options but we earn too much to qualify. People may mock me for moving here but I've said it before and I'll say it again - it's cheap!