British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Pre School Options? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/pre-school-options-760846/)

Parisangel Jun 6th 2012 11:48 am

Pre School Options?

Hi All!

Me again with more questions!

My 4 year old (he'll be 5 in March) was due to start school in the UK this September. I gather it's a year later in the US...so is private daycare the only option - he's used to going to nursery 2/3 days a week and for his sanity and mine I'd like him to something - what's the set up? We will be in Houston if that is relevant.

Thanks again ;)

Weeze Jun 6th 2012 12:01 pm

Re: Pre School Options?

You want a private pre-Kindergarden, not daycare. He'll go into Kindergarden August 2013 which is state provided.
You'll have a huge range of choice. Church run things are popular here, some of which have huge waiting lists. For the most popular pre-schools, they have a certain day that they start accepting applications for and people queue hours before they open. The one that I picked happened to have a vacancy so I signed up there and then. Your time/day option will depend on where you go. You can get 2 days a week, 3 days a week, or every day. Mine is pre-school at the moment going into pre-k in August. She has done 3 mornings a week this year and next year she goes to 5 mornings a week.
Pre-schools are expensive (IMO). We pay $135/wk for 3 morning. You also have to pay materials fees.
Can't remember if you were transferring over here or coming with a new job. If you are transferring, we get pre-school paid for as it's a cost we wouldn't have has in the UK.
This has loads:
http://www.katymagazine.com/katy-tex...are-preschools
This fair is run twice a year by my moms club;
http://fuellingkaty.com/2010/01/18/7...-this-weekend/

penguinsix Jun 6th 2012 12:31 pm

Depends where you are moving to but some school districts offer a half-day "K-4" program. You'll need to check with your school district in the city you are moving to.

Bob Jun 6th 2012 1:44 pm

Tends to all depend on school district.

Usually you have to pay and depending on where in the country, can range from $400-1500 a month from couple of part days a week to full time.

Some school areas provide a pre-K for residents, but you may have to have been resident for x amount of time, or there might be a household income requirement.

Realistically, just expect it to be expensive and be pleasantly surprised if it isn't.

Mummy in the foothills Jun 6th 2012 3:28 pm

Our district runs it's own pre school on each elementary school campus. You can go half days, full days any number of days per week to suit your child. and the price was the same as daycare.
Get cracking soon to find if yours has this option. Ours did registration in May for the next school year, and only empty spots are available now. So not as much choice in what days you go.

GeoffM Jun 6th 2012 4:05 pm

We just signed up DS yesterday. Three days a week, up to 10.5 hours per day between 6am and 6:30pm, $90 per week. In both places we looked at the half days were 80-90% of the price of a full day! Both gave 2x snacks per day but bring your own lunch, microwave provided if required. That's California, not Houston.

jackattack Jun 6th 2012 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 10103847)
We just signed up DS yesterday. Three days a week, up to 10.5 hours per day between 6am and 6:30pm, $90 per week. In both places we looked at the half days were 80-90% of the price of a full day! Both gave 2x snacks per day but bring your own lunch, microwave provided if required. That's California, not Houston.

$90 per WEEK?
I'm assuming that is a public school system, since that sounds like a bargain and I haven't found anything remotely close to that (price wise) in my area.

lisa67 Jun 6th 2012 7:39 pm

As people have mentioned,it depends on your school district but my daughter started Kindergarten the same year she would have done reception in the UK. Our school district was fine with it and she coped with no problem. Depends on the child though and if the SD will let you do that.

kins Jun 7th 2012 3:31 pm

Look at co-op preschools if there are any in your area.

My younger two did co-op preschool at age 3 and 4. They did 2 mornings age 3, then 3 mornings age 4. It prepared them enough for kindergarten - similar to how playgroups work in the UK (my oldest was in the UK at that age).

They might also be more reasonably priced than private daycare, but the flipside is you're usually expected to volunteer as a parent-helper and in other roles.

For me it was a great way to get to know other parents, and I made some lasting friendships.

kins Jun 7th 2012 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by lisa67 (Post 10104339)
As people have mentioned,it depends on your school district but my daughter started Kindergarten the same year she would have done reception in the UK. Our school district was fine with it and she coped with no problem. Depends on the child though and if the SD will let you do that.

Does she have any problems with being the youngest in the class? We were going to do similar with my oldest when we moved to the US, but she's a June birthday and would have been 1-2.5 years younger than the rest of the class.

GeoffM Jun 7th 2012 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by jackattack (Post 10104315)
$90 per WEEK?

Correct. The other one was $99 per week but I think slightly less hours.

Originally Posted by jackattack (Post 10104315)
I'm assuming that is a public school system, since that sounds like a bargain and I haven't found anything remotely close to that (price wise) in my area.

No, private. There are subsidized options but we earn too much to qualify. People may mock me for moving here but I've said it before and I'll say it again - it's cheap!