Pre-School

Old Jul 5th 2010, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

BritishMommyNYC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pre-School

I have litterally just moved to NYC with my 2 children (4 nearly 5) and (2) last week and now I was wandering how old my son has to be before going to pre-school? He'll start day care next week but was wandering what the age limit is, also I'm finding it hard to a good Kindergarten for my daughter to start in September in either the Upper West Side or Brooklyn Heights. Anybody got any ideas
Old Jul 5th 2010, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

Errol is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pre-School

Originally Posted by BritishMommyNYC
I have litterally just moved to NYC with my 2 children (4 nearly 5) and (2) last week and now I was wandering how old my son has to be before going to pre-school? He'll start day care next week but was wandering what the age limit is, also I'm finding it hard to a good Kindergarten for my daughter to start in September in either the Upper West Side or Brooklyn Heights. Anybody got any ideas
I think some pre schools will accept children as early as 2 years of age or younger.

The following website for preschools assists by entering a zip code and a host of schools come up http://www.savvysource.com/preschool...ll_New_York_NY

Errol
Old Jul 5th 2010, 10:02 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Why are you having trouble finding a Kindergarten for your Dd? Are they all full already?
Here the nearest school to you will refer you onto the next nearest school with openings.
You might want to get that all sorted pretty quick, some school are year round and others (us included) start before the end of this month.

Have you looked here for schools? http://insideschools.org/index12.php

Last edited by Mummy in the foothills; Jul 5th 2010 at 10:06 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 9:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Why are you having trouble finding a Kindergarten for your Dd? Are they all full already?
Quite probably....all the decent ones usually are, especially the ones that don't cost the earth.

As for ages, most take them in at 2.9 full time, but you can probably find a few who will take them at 2.3, usually not full time though, well in my neck of the woods, might be different in NY.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 9:29 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

is the local public kindergarten no good? or full?
Old Jul 7th 2010, 12:55 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Quite probably....all the decent ones usually are, especially the ones that don't cost the earth.

As for ages, most take them in at 2.9 full time, but you can probably find a few who will take them at 2.3, usually not full time though, well in my neck of the woods, might be different in NY.

Same for my NYC 'burb 2 yo granddaughter. While we aren't Jewish, they signed up for the JJC locally for the pre-school program, summer camp and adult gym and babysitting services. The annual fee was very reasonable. DGD started camp a/k/a camping in toddler speak on 6/28. She loves it. It's only 2 days a week but the classes are designed for 10 or less children and they have a wide variety of activities for them to participate in. Teacher recommended they think seriously about getting into pre-school as she is not adverse to being separated from mommy, listens well, has a large vocabulary and is social.

NYC, however, will probably have full time pre-school under the name of childcare. Not the private mommy childcare but one such as CareBears, etc.