Pre School

Old Mar 18th 2005, 9:05 am
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pre School

[QUOTE=Shish kebab]Hi woodsey I think Pre School is a way of life here. I sent my girl to daycare P/T for a few months before we moved to LA because she was so shy and didn't want to mix with others. I thought if she could mix and I wasn't there for her to cling to it would help and it did. It took a couple of weeks for her to settle in. I found it hard to leave her at first but then I was starting to enjoy the little free time I had. I worked P/T and that helped me to meet other people. Pre School is good for getting them ready for school but I don't really think it is something you must do. I go to the park as much as I can so she can play with the other kids. I have had a look at daycare/pre schools. Don't go with the big corporate places they charge a fortune and you get less for your money the family ones I find are better. There are less kids but they get the attention. Visit a few if you are going to look and remember to ask to see there registered file when you visit. I haven't heard of any co-ops. It is hard not having any family to fall back on if you need a break.

Not necessarily true - my son's class has a maximum of 8 - most preschools have a ratio of 1 to 12. It is as expensive as every other one in the bay area. All the teachers have their degree in early childcare (not all places have their teachers do this)The facilities are very clean, new and they have a lovely play area. I feel we get more for our money there. He goes on outings and has fantastic 'project' time which we do not pay a penny more for.
Just me twopenneth again
Old Mar 18th 2005, 9:31 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

My thought?

Go with YOUR gut instinct. Don't be pressured into putting your kid into pre-school just yet if that is not what YOU want to do
Old Mar 18th 2005, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Shish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really nice

Originally Posted by woodsey
My son is approaching two and a half, I am constantly asked why he isn't in pre school yet. Personally I think he's too young to be going anywhere but is he missing out?
I have never left him with anyone other than family members, the thought of leaving him horrifies me but maybe now is the time...I'm just not sure.
Any experiences, thoughts would be much appreciated.
If you do want to look for a Pre School this web link will help with any questions you have and will send you a list of places around your area but you will still need to go and visit them.

www.ccrcla.org
Old Mar 18th 2005, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

Shish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really nice

Originally Posted by bored-silly
Not necessarily true - my son's class has a maximum of 8 - most preschools have a ratio of 1 to 12. It is as expensive as every other one in the bay area. All the teachers have their degree in early childcare (not all places have their teachers do this)The facilities are very clean, new and they have a lovely play area. I feel we get more for our money there. He goes on outings and has fantastic 'project' time which we do not pay a penny more for.
Just me twopenneth again
Getting less for your money I mean the larger centers I spoke to didn't offer any lunch or snacks I would have to provide it on top of what I pay and with the smaller home run childcare/pre school it was all included. They are a lot more money here in LA for the centers compared to the home ones.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 10:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=bored-silly]
Originally Posted by Shish kebab
Hi woodsey I think Pre School is a way of life here. I sent my girl to daycare P/T for a few months before we moved to LA because she was so shy and didn't want to mix with others. I thought if she could mix and I wasn't there for her to cling to it would help and it did. It took a couple of weeks for her to settle in. I found it hard to leave her at first but then I was starting to enjoy the little free time I had. I worked P/T and that helped me to meet other people. Pre School is good for getting them ready for school but I don't really think it is something you must do. I go to the park as much as I can so she can play with the other kids. I have had a look at daycare/pre schools. Don't go with the big corporate places they charge a fortune and you get less for your money the family ones I find are better. There are less kids but they get the attention. Visit a few if you are going to look and remember to ask to see there registered file when you visit. I haven't heard of any co-ops. It is hard not having any family to fall back on if you need a break.

Just me twopenneth again

I think its all a matter of opinion. Federal law requires that it be a ratio of 1 to 10, and every big corporate preschool that I saw was at that limit and gunning for more kids. In fact Kindercare was at 20, with just two people, what chaos for a group of 3 year olds. On top of that its mandatory here in Washington (and Oregon) that small children in daycare/preschool have to take a 2 hour nap/rest if they're at the school for the whole day. That turned me off big time. Anyway, that aside....I'm still looking for a good preschool.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 10:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shish kebab
Hi woodsey I think Pre School is a way of life here. I sent my girl to daycare P/T for a few months before we moved to LA because she was so shy and didn't want to mix with others. I thought if she could mix and I wasn't there for her to cling to it would help and it did. It took a couple of weeks for her to settle in. I found it hard to leave her at first but then I was starting to enjoy the little free time I had. I worked P/T and that helped me to meet other people. Pre School is good for getting them ready for school but I don't really think it is something you must do. I go to the park as much as I can so she can play with the other kids. I have had a look at daycare/pre schools. Don't go with the big corporate places they charge a fortune and you get less for your money the family ones I find are better. There are less kids but they get the attention. Visit a few if you are going to look and remember to ask to see there registered file when you visit. I haven't heard of any co-ops. It is hard not having any family to fall back on if you need a break.

I have sent you a PM

No you don't have to do preschool, but your child is going to be much better off if he's had at least a bit of preschool. This was something my older daughter's teacher asked as soon as she started normal school. In the end kids are required to learn much more stuff earlier than ever before. Even if they don't "learn" anything, at least they are going to be familiar with the structure of school before they have to go for real.