British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Pre-existing medical conditions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/pre-existing-medical-conditions-928971/)

Laura1975 Oct 31st 2019 10:23 am

Pre-existing medical conditions

Hi All
My husband has been offered a great job opportunity in Houston, TX. The trouble is, he has diabetes and arthritis, and I suffer with PTSD, anxiety and self harming tendencies since being stabbed in a robbery in 2014.
Obviously I know there are companies that will cover the husbands issues, as they are fairly common and his condition is stable. The worry is me. Do you think they would let me in to the USA, and would medical insurance cover my ongoing care needs?
Also, can anyone recommend where to start looking in terms of a healthcare package please (also to include our 14 year old daughter, who is fairly healthy, apart from well controlled Asthma)

Many Thanks for reading

Laura

civilservant Oct 31st 2019 11:28 am

Re: Pre-existing medical conditions

Your 'self harming tendencies' might constitute a barrier to permanent residency, if it can be suggested that you are a continuing danger to yourself and others. That would not apply to a temporary work visa though.

Is this a new employer for him or does he work for them in the UK?

Other than medication, what other care do you actually require? Your husbands health coverage would in all likelihood cover the medication that you need.

penguinsix Oct 31st 2019 1:23 pm

Hi and welcome,

If your husband has a job offer, you need to contact the HR department and get a copy of the health insurance policy (or a summary) that will explain what is and what is not covered. Care for dependents (i.e. you and your daughter) is actually pretty common in most health care plans. Well, let me rephrase that, if it is not offered you should not take this job because your husband would be working for a crappy company. Most health care plans were required to cover mental health conditions, but recent proposed changes in Washington are scaling that protection back so you may need to double check on that.

sarasota chic Oct 31st 2019 4:45 pm

i don’t know if this applies but when we went for our medicals for our GC due to my husband having depression he had to get a delailed report from our GP as to weither he was a danger to himself or others. With self harming I’m not sure if it may be a stumbling block, the worst is you are denied a visa, or you may need a psychiatric consultation which will be with a private Dr. Good luck I hope all goes well for you.

Laura1975 Oct 31st 2019 5:02 pm

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it.

I (and my councellor) believe that my self harming will stop should I move. Most of my anxieties revolve around the fact that I live just a few hundred metres from where I was attacked, so I just don't feel safe. Moving to Houston will put a few thousand miles between me and that place, so I will feel safer. I am sure my doctor would write letters or fill in forms to verify that.

Laura1975 Oct 31st 2019 5:06 pm

The husbands job offer is with his current employer, it is a promotion too, not just a direct transfer.
Also, I am an operating theatre nurse, with 17 years experience, so have a few skills to offer too. Although I would love to work in a US operating room, I will try anything....well.....almost anything, even after 17 years at this gig, I still can't handle eyeballs, I can't even watch people putting contact lenses in 🤢

civilservant Oct 31st 2019 5:08 pm

A transfer on an L1 for him will net you an L2 and will allow you to work (after you receive an EAD) - but it is very unlikely that you are currently sufficiently trained to get registered and practice as a Nurse in the US.

I would suggest you do a search of the forum for others who have tried to get registered as Nurses in the US coming from the UK, it can be a pain.

Laura1975 Oct 31st 2019 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12757146)
A transfer on an L1 for him will net you an L2 and will allow you to work (after you receive an EAD) - but it is very unlikely that you are currently sufficiently trained to get registered and practice as a Nurse in the US.

I would suggest you do a search of the forum for others who have tried to get registered as Nurses in the US coming from the UK, it can be a pain.

Don't worry, I know I won't be able to hit the ground running. I would ideally look to be their equivalent of an HCA while I study towards the state NCLEX, that way I can learn how their hospitals work, without the responsibility of being a trained nurse for a while. I am already in contact with nurses currently working in the USA too, so they would hold my hand while I work towards the conversion too.

scrubbedexpat099 Oct 31st 2019 7:47 pm

Did not think a L required a medical, that would be for Immigrants.

excpomea Oct 31st 2019 7:49 pm

I'm sure his new position will offer a full health insurance package to cover the family. Would not be a promotion if it didn't.

My wife works as an RN over here in Pediatric ICU.
She worked for the NHS for about 7 years, but had previously obtained a nursing degree in the US, so I'm sure easier than the typical immigrant.
It would be worth investigating this. There are nurses that have made the swap from UK to US. A few hoops to jump through.
Her sister is actually an OR nurse, well now on OR nursing manager. $175K with $25-30K yearly bonus. So worth the effort if you intend staying.

civilservant Oct 31st 2019 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12757226)

Right. I made the leap that PR would be an objective in the future.

sarasota chic Oct 31st 2019 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Laura1975 (Post 12757144)
The husbands job offer is with his current employer, it is a promotion too, not just a direct transfer.
Also, I am an operating theatre nurse, with 17 years experience, so have a few skills to offer too. Although I would love to work in a US operating room, I will try anything....well.....almost anything, even after 17 years at this gig, I still can't handle eyeballs, I can't even watch people putting contact lenses in 🤢

Im an RN working in cardiac high dependency, my background is PACU. If you want to work as a nurse you will be required by the BON to have the correct number of hours in Paeds, Psych, Obstetrics, if your training was after P2000 you may not have the required hours to allow you to sit the NCLEX. Maybe worth you looking into this prior to your move.

Jerseygirl Oct 31st 2019 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12757226)

Ours didn’t...but that was in ‘96 and it may have changed,

petitefrancaise Nov 5th 2019 12:49 am

No medical required for an "L" visa. There will be one for LPR if they go that route.

Rete Nov 5th 2019 12:56 am

Originally Posted by Laura1975 (Post 12757139)
Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it.

I (and my councellor) believe that my self harming will stop should I move. Most of my anxieties revolve around the fact that I live just a few hundred metres from where I was attacked, so I just don't feel safe. Moving to Houston will put a few thousand miles between me and that place, so I will feel safer. I am sure my doctor would write letters or fill in forms to verify that.

I have to ask --- why have you remained in the same place since 2014 til 2019. I would have certainly moved house within a few months of the incident.