Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pre-existing Conditions & Health Insurance

Pre-existing Conditions & Health Insurance

Old Jun 4th 2004, 1:15 pm
  #1  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Lottie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 309
Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of
Default Pre-existing Conditions & Health Insurance

Does anyone know what the implications are of having a pre-existing condition and health insurance in the US?

We will be moving from the UK to the US in August and are concerned that we won't be covered for any pre-existing conditions.

i) I've seen a posting on the forum which says that as we are moving from the UK (with a national health service) to the US we needn't worry about being excluded from cover for pre-existing conditions. Is this true?

ii) We both currently have separate UK insurance policies with our UK companies. Are we therefore covered by the HIPAA regulations regarding pre-existing conditions on this?

Any help/advice gratefully received.

Lottie, UK
L-2
Interview 27-May-04
VISA received 28-May-04
Lottie is offline  
Old Jun 4th 2004, 1:18 pm
  #2  
@matthewb76
 
Manc's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Missouri
Posts: 21,886
Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default

If your company are going to put you on their group policy, then it shouldn't be a problem.

If you atre needing your own medical interim policies then they usually will not cover your pre-existing conditions.

Oh and the UK health insurance doesn't mean jack over here. Unless they are going to be the same company insuring you over here too.
Manc is offline  
Old Jun 4th 2004, 1:39 pm
  #3  
BE Enthusiast
 
AlisonPA's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 527
AlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really nice
Default

Originally posted by manc1976
If your company are going to put you on their group policy, then it shouldn't be a problem.

If you atre needing your own medical interim policies then they usually will not cover your pre-existing conditions.

Oh and the UK health insurance doesn't mean jack over here. Unless they are going to be the same company insuring you over here too.
That's the trouble when you change health providers anywhere, they do not cover pre-existing conditions unless you pay a very high premium.
AlisonPA is offline  
Old Jun 4th 2004, 1:59 pm
  #4  
Maño-Americano
 
ironporer's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: In the heart of the Ozarks
Posts: 10,208
ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pre-existing Conditions & Health Insurance

Originally posted by Lottie
Does anyone know what the implications are of having a pre-existing condition and health insurance in the US?

We will be moving from the UK to the US in August and are concerned that we won't be covered for any pre-existing conditions.

i) I've seen a posting on the forum which says that as we are moving from the UK (with a national health service) to the US we needn't worry about being excluded from cover for pre-existing conditions. Is this true?

ii) We both currently have separate UK insurance policies with our UK companies. Are we therefore covered by the HIPAA regulations regarding pre-existing conditions on this?

Any help/advice gratefully received.

Lottie, UK
L-2
Interview 27-May-04
VISA received 28-May-04
This is a very gray area- it all depends on the specific policy and company. I was required to show proof of uninterupted coverage when I changed jobs/policies last year to avoid a 1 year previous exist clause. Be prepared and bring documentation that you have been covered over there, just in case.
ironporer is offline  
Old Jun 4th 2004, 3:52 pm
  #5  
Winter hyphenator
 
monster's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 660
monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of
Default

Wasn't any problem when we moved here 3 years ago -but that was with the company's group plan.
monster is offline  
Old Jun 4th 2004, 4:47 pm
  #6  
Ben
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 920
Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute
Default

My husband didn't have a problem with a pre-existing condition. As I understand it, it depends on the condition. We have also swapped insurance companies quite a few times over the years and have never had a problem with pre-existing conditions from one company to another. The plans have always been through husband's company but we pay for them ourselves.

But I do know that my mother would never get insurance over here for her condition if they moved over here, even though they have insurance in the UK.
Ben is offline  
Old Jun 4th 2004, 4:48 pm
  #7  
@matthewb76
 
Manc's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Missouri
Posts: 21,886
Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Group policies through employers are not subject to the same underwriting rules as private medical policies.
Manc is offline  
Old Jun 6th 2004, 12:30 pm
  #8  
Essex Girl
 
HelenWebber's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Colchester, Essex. UK / Naperville, Illinois US
Posts: 58
HelenWebber is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Originally posted by Ben
My husband didn't have a problem with a pre-existing condition. As I understand it, it depends on the condition. We have also swapped insurance companies quite a few times over the years and have never had a problem with pre-existing conditions from one company to another. The plans have always been through husband's company but we pay for them ourselves.

But I do know that my mother would never get insurance over here for her condition if they moved over here, even though they have insurance in the UK.

AArrgghh! I have insulin dependent diabetes, how will it affect me then?
HelenWebber is offline  
Old Jun 6th 2004, 1:10 pm
  #9  
Maño-Americano
 
ironporer's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: In the heart of the Ozarks
Posts: 10,208
ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Originally posted by HelenWebber
AArrgghh! I have insulin dependent diabetes, how will it affect me then?
You really need to have your fiancee/husband who I presume has the insurance read the policy, or contact the HR dept or insurance company involved. With thousands of"flavors" policies each tailored to the individual employers it really is a case by case issue.
ironporer is offline  
Old Jun 6th 2004, 1:17 pm
  #10  
Essex Girl
 
HelenWebber's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Colchester, Essex. UK / Naperville, Illinois US
Posts: 58
HelenWebber is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Originally posted by ironporer
You really need to have your fiancee/husband who I presume has the insurance read the policy, or contact the HR dept or insurance company involved. With thousands of"flavors" policies each tailored to the individual employers it really is a case by case issue.
Well he has a work one, and he 'says' it will be fine. Not sure if he has checked into it or not! I have told him how expensive buying the things I use could get.
HelenWebber is offline  
Old Jun 6th 2004, 1:26 pm
  #11  
Maño-Americano
 
ironporer's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: In the heart of the Ozarks
Posts: 10,208
ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Originally posted by HelenWebber
Well he has a work one, and he 'says' it will be fine. Not sure if he has checked into it or not! I have told him how expensive buying the things I use could get.
As a very great man once said "Trust, but verify".
ironporer is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.