British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Pre-existing Conditions & Health Insurance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/pre-existing-conditions-health-insurance-234462/)

Lottie Jun 4th 2004 1:15 pm

Pre-existing Conditions & Health Insurance

Does anyone know what the implications are of having a pre-existing condition and health insurance in the US?

We will be moving from the UK to the US in August and are concerned that we won't be covered for any pre-existing conditions.

i) I've seen a posting on the forum which says that as we are moving from the UK (with a national health service) to the US we needn't worry about being excluded from cover for pre-existing conditions. Is this true?

ii) We both currently have separate UK insurance policies with our UK companies. Are we therefore covered by the HIPAA regulations regarding pre-existing conditions on this?

Any help/advice gratefully received.

Lottie, UK
L-2
Interview 27-May-04
VISA received 28-May-04

Manc Jun 4th 2004 1:18 pm

If your company are going to put you on their group policy, then it shouldn't be a problem.

If you atre needing your own medical interim policies then they usually will not cover your pre-existing conditions.

Oh and the UK health insurance doesn't mean jack over here. Unless they are going to be the same company insuring you over here too.

AlisonPA Jun 4th 2004 1:39 pm

Originally posted by manc1976
If your company are going to put you on their group policy, then it shouldn't be a problem.

If you atre needing your own medical interim policies then they usually will not cover your pre-existing conditions.

Oh and the UK health insurance doesn't mean jack over here. Unless they are going to be the same company insuring you over here too.
That's the trouble when you change health providers anywhere, they do not cover pre-existing conditions unless you pay a very high premium.

ironporer Jun 4th 2004 1:59 pm

Re: Pre-existing Conditions & Health Insurance

Originally posted by Lottie
Does anyone know what the implications are of having a pre-existing condition and health insurance in the US?

We will be moving from the UK to the US in August and are concerned that we won't be covered for any pre-existing conditions.

i) I've seen a posting on the forum which says that as we are moving from the UK (with a national health service) to the US we needn't worry about being excluded from cover for pre-existing conditions. Is this true?

ii) We both currently have separate UK insurance policies with our UK companies. Are we therefore covered by the HIPAA regulations regarding pre-existing conditions on this?

Any help/advice gratefully received.

Lottie, UK
L-2
Interview 27-May-04
VISA received 28-May-04
This is a very gray area- it all depends on the specific policy and company. I was required to show proof of uninterupted coverage when I changed jobs/policies last year to avoid a 1 year previous exist clause. Be prepared and bring documentation that you have been covered over there, just in case.

monster Jun 4th 2004 3:52 pm

Wasn't any problem when we moved here 3 years ago -but that was with the company's group plan.

Ben Jun 4th 2004 4:47 pm

My husband didn't have a problem with a pre-existing condition. As I understand it, it depends on the condition. We have also swapped insurance companies quite a few times over the years and have never had a problem with pre-existing conditions from one company to another. The plans have always been through husband's company but we pay for them ourselves.

But I do know that my mother would never get insurance over here for her condition if they moved over here, even though they have insurance in the UK.

Manc Jun 4th 2004 4:48 pm

Group policies through employers are not subject to the same underwriting rules as private medical policies.

HelenWebber Jun 6th 2004 12:30 pm

Originally posted by Ben
My husband didn't have a problem with a pre-existing condition. As I understand it, it depends on the condition. We have also swapped insurance companies quite a few times over the years and have never had a problem with pre-existing conditions from one company to another. The plans have always been through husband's company but we pay for them ourselves.

But I do know that my mother would never get insurance over here for her condition if they moved over here, even though they have insurance in the UK.

AArrgghh! I have insulin dependent diabetes, how will it affect me then?

ironporer Jun 6th 2004 1:10 pm

Originally posted by HelenWebber
AArrgghh! I have insulin dependent diabetes, how will it affect me then?
You really need to have your fiancee/husband who I presume has the insurance read the policy, or contact the HR dept or insurance company involved. With thousands of"flavors" policies each tailored to the individual employers it really is a case by case issue.

HelenWebber Jun 6th 2004 1:17 pm

Originally posted by ironporer
You really need to have your fiancee/husband who I presume has the insurance read the policy, or contact the HR dept or insurance company involved. With thousands of"flavors" policies each tailored to the individual employers it really is a case by case issue.
Well he has a work one, and he 'says' it will be fine. Not sure if he has checked into it or not! I have told him how expensive buying the things I use could get.

ironporer Jun 6th 2004 1:26 pm

Originally posted by HelenWebber
Well he has a work one, and he 'says' it will be fine. Not sure if he has checked into it or not! I have told him how expensive buying the things I use could get.
As a very great man once said "Trust, but verify".