Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

'Pre-existing condition' and upcoming changes in healthcare

'Pre-existing condition' and upcoming changes in healthcare

Old Sep 23rd 2013, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute
Default 'Pre-existing condition' and upcoming changes in healthcare

Hi all,

I'm sure this has been thrashed out before (but I can't find a search function so I'm starting a new thread).

My boyfriend has been offered a job in California. There's no health insurance for the first year. After the first year, he (and I) can go onto the company health insurance policy. He will be on an H1B visa (and we'll get married if he accepts the job so I can accompany him. I am British, he is Portuguese, we are currently located in the Netherlands).

The problem is that he has Crohn's disease (requires treatment as an outpatient every 2 months + regular medication) and I'm finding it very hard to find out estimates of how much it's going to cost us on a private policy for the first year.

Can someone direct me to some clear information?

I understand that there will be some changes occurring in healthcare which makes it illegal to refuse to insure those with existing conditions (and, can this be true, means the premiums can't be loaded for these people?).

Are the insurance companies already taking these new laws and changes into account? I can't seem to get online quotes for more than 45 days in advance (we won't need insurance until next year). I need to come up with some numbers so we can work out whether private insurance is viable or we have to wave goodbye to a fantastic opportunity.

Finally, my brain is bursting with all the information about co-pays and waiting periods (seriously wtf's the point in having any insurance if you can't use it for a year?) and deductibles.

Is there anyone here who came to the US with a pre-existing condition and can share their story with me?

We've been told that if we go for private insurance, we'll face a significant waiting period to use it because we have no previous insurance (we are insured privately in the netherlands but this doesn't count apparently).

So, we've been advised to go with expat insurance...I've found only *one* company who will cover pre-ex and they want to charge almost $1,000 a month for one person.

We understand that the first year will be expensive in terms of healthcare, and have accounted for this.

However, we need to ensure that we are covered for as much as possible from day 1. We cannot be paying $$$ and only be able to use the insurance in x months time. Any information greatly received.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 2:48 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Pre-existing condition' and upcoming changes in healthcare

Individual states are setting up "insurance exchanges." Enrollment begins on October 1; coverage begins on January 1.

You won't be able to get any firm price quotes until next month, and the prices will vary based upon the insurance company and the level of coverage that you choose. Age will be a factor in setting the premiums.

You should note that insurers in the US have "networks" of doctors, hospitals and other providers, so you'll want to make sure that the insurer that you choose has the providers who you want. If you use a provider who is not in your insurer's network, then a greater quantity (or potentially all) of the costs for using that provider will be your responsibility -- you can't just use whoever you want without paying the price, literally.

The website for California's exchange is here: www.coveredca.com

Last edited by RoadWarriorFromLP; Sep 23rd 2013 at 2:51 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Individual states are setting up "insurance exchanges." Enrollment begins on October 1; coverage begins on January 1.

You won't be able to get any firm price quotes until next month, and the prices will vary based upon the insurance company and the level of coverage that you choose. Age will be a factor in setting the premiums.

You should note that insurers in the US have "networks" of doctors, hospitals and other providers, so you'll want to make sure that the insurer that you choose has the providers who you want. If you use a provider who is not in your insurer's network, then a greater quantity (or potentially all) of the costs for using that provider will be your responsibility -- you can't just use whoever you want without paying the price, literally.

The website for California's exchange is here: www.coveredca.com
I'm not sure the H-1B and H-4 visas are covered under the Affordable Care Act. The program is primarily for USCs and legal permanent residents but does include some visa types.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 3:00 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I'm not sure the H-1B and H-4 visas are covered under the Affordable Care Act. The program is primarily for USCs and legal permanent residents but does include some visa types.
According to this, visa holders are eligible, but with some limitations:

http://www.nilc.org/immigrantshcr.html
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 3:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

$1000 a month doesn't sound far off if you are paying 100% of the cost. Personally if the job doesn't offer healthcare for a year I wouldn't consider taking the job. Mostly because in general you wait 30-90 days for coverage to start so waiting a year is crazy and makes me think they would screw over employees in other ways.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 3:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
$1000 a month doesn't sound far off if you are paying 100% of the cost. Personally if the job doesn't offer healthcare for a year I wouldn't consider taking the job. Mostly because in general you wait 30-90 days for coverage to start so waiting a year is crazy and makes me think they would screw over employees in other ways.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure if we can apply for these things without a US address though? ...I'm so happy these changes are being enforced though. I knew the system was bad but not as bad as I found out it was when I started doing some research about it. Oh and age shouldn't be too much of a problem (we are both mid 30s and non smokers...)

Last edited by sherbert; Sep 23rd 2013 at 3:13 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 3:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
According to this, visa holders are eligible, but with some limitations:

http://www.nilc.org/immigrantshcr.html
I'm not sure it says that. It says Legally Present Immigrants and people working on visas are not immigrants.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Michael
I'm not sure it says that. It says Legally Present Immigrants and people working on visas are not immigrants.
I've contacted them to find out but I'm not holding out my hopes for this :/
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 3:26 pm
Bloody Yank

Originally Posted by sherbert
I've contacted them to find out but I'm not holding out my hopes for this :/
Visa holders are among those who are "lawfully present."

Under the Affordable Care Act, you'll not only be able to buy insurance, but you'll be required to buy it. If you don't have coverage, you'll have to pay a fine to the IRS (tax collection authority.)
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Why a 'fantastic opportunity' would make them wait a year for health insurance would be my question too.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brilliant, I am all for mandatory health coverage... can't believe it's taken the USA this long to get to this point. However, I need to find out some prospective costs within the next week as we need to make some proposals to the prospective employer about whether he can take the position or not...

Does anyone know whether the new, wonderful changes will do away with the waiting periods I've been hearing about?

Yay, healthcare for all, welcome to civilis(z)ation
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

tony1980 is an unknown quantity at this point

My own company had been looking into transferring me to Australia before but are now set for Charlotte, N.C and I have similar concerns. My wife has Ankylosing Spondylitis and is on regular medication (Arcoxia) and needs an infusion of Remicade every 6 weeks as an outpatient.

My job is going to provide healthcare for our family but are only just starting to look into it. I am very interested to see what kind of info you get in this thread as I would hazard a guess that your boyfriend is on probably the same infusion my wife is on as its used to treat Crohn's disease also. Best of luck and hope all works out for you and you have exciting times ahead :-)
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Why a 'fantastic opportunity' would make them wait a year for health insurance would be my question too.
It's the company policy apparently...they consider you to be temporary for the first year it seems.

It's a fantastic opportunity in the academic world, which may not be quite what a corporate worker may see as a fantastic opportunity ... different horses for different courses and all that.

We won't get rich from the move but we'll get a different experiences (and yes, access to better doctors and treatments ...even if we have to use our savings to pay for it, which if I was a praying woman, I would pray no one would ever have to do, but shit happens...)
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherbert
It's the company policy apparently...they consider you to be temporary for the first year it seems.

It's a fantastic opportunity in the academic world, which may not be quite what a corporate worker may see as a fantastic opportunity ... different horses for different courses and all that.

We won't get rich from the move but we'll get a different experiences (and yes, access to better doctors and treatments ...even if we have to use our savings to pay for it, which if I was a praying woman, I would pray no one would ever have to do, but shit happens...)
We are in the academic world too.

I am just suggesting caution because access to healthcare over here is not what people from advanced countries are used to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.