Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pre CR1 Submission; Job Hunt.

Pre CR1 Submission; Job Hunt.

Old Aug 15th 2017, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

ChDaun331 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Pre CR1 Submission; Job Hunt.

Hi there, My Fiance (soon to be wife in 2 weeks) are currently gathering all evidence together and beginning the path to submit a CR1 Visa application. I was hoping that someone would be able to advise which would be the best way to apply for work in California (orange county), or even if it is possible to begin applying for work mid visa process? Would this be something employers would consider? conditional job offers based on visa acceptance for lack of a better term?

I have been offered interest working on trawlers out of the Bering Sea, but the company would not entertain the idea unless I had received my SS number, and its touch and go as to whether this will materialise as reality so I dont want to put all my eggs in one basket so to speak.

Im not looking for a company to Sponsor me for a work related visa, but only enquiring as to whether it would be possible to forward plan on the job front.

Any help and friendly advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Daniel.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 10:54 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pre CR1 Submission; Job Hunt.

I was on the same visa path and I applied for and was offered my job prior to receiving my visa on the understanding that I would start on x date and be able to prove on that date that I could legally work in the country. I started work less than 2 weeks after I arrived. The company I work for is a huge international company with over 80,000 employees and has employed people who are here under all sorts if visa circumstances before. They were immediately aware what a CR-1 visa means and that I don't need sponsorship, etc. I also applied with a much smaller company just because the position seemed very interesting and a bit different but despite my cover letter detailing the visa route I was on I received a stock response of "we don't sponsor foreign workers". They clearly didn't read the letter, just saw the address and sent the rejection.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

ChDaun331 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah thats interesting, so basically you applied for Jobs at your destination as you would anywhere else, but just simply stated in your cover letter your circumstances with the Visa? Then they issued you with a start date (was this based on an estimated completion date for the cr1?) all you had to do was prove what you stated in your cover letter was true and that on the date given you could legally work , providing them with relevant documentation on the day?
Old Aug 15th 2017, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Slightly different as I required an EAD, but I had a job offer that specifically said start on this date contingent upon receiving an EAD.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 11:49 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChDaun331
Ah thats interesting, so basically you applied for Jobs at your destination as you would anywhere else, but just simply stated in your cover letter your circumstances with the Visa? Then they issued you with a start date (was this based on an estimated completion date for the cr1?) all you had to do was prove what you stated in your cover letter was true and that on the date given you could legally work , providing them with relevant documentation on the day?
Pretty much that was how it went. Saw a job doing almost the same as what I was doing in the U.K. but with a different airline. Was interviewed by skype. I gave a rough estimate of when I would be moving and once NVC had completed my case and I had an interview date I contacted them and we agreed a start date based on that.

Then all I had to do was show up at the HR department with something that satisfies an I-9 requirement (in my case an endorsed immigrant visa) and I was shown to my desk. I didn't have an SSN when I started so I couldn't be added to payroll but I got it a week later.