Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Practical things you wished you'd done/not done before you moved to the US

Practical things you wished you'd done/not done before you moved to the US

Old Jun 4th 2012, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

Katsu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Practical things you wished you'd done/not done before you moved to the US

I've found and received lots of useful information on this forum which is helping me and my husband prepare for our move to San Francisco next month (L1/2 visas but thinking of the move as indefinite for now).

Apart from things like setting up bank accounts and organising a car in advance, I wondered if there are any such tasks that any of you who have already moved to the US didn't do before leaving the UK but later wished you had? Or things you were hasty in ceasing/closing in the UK but later regretted?

I'm not really trying to make our 'to do' list any longer if I don't need to, but any tips or suggestions about less obvious (or apparently minor) things we could/should do before we go to make life easier in the US would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jun 4th 2012, 12:10 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Practical things you wished you'd done/not done before you moved to the US

Make sure people can use Skype and have webcams and microphone already set up!
Old Jun 4th 2012, 12:14 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Practical things you wished you'd done/not done before you moved to the US

Originally Posted by Weeze
+1 to this.

Never thought getting people set up could be such a PITA.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

Good point, though the chance of some of our relatives using Skype without problems, no matter how well we get them working with it before we go, is pretty slim! I can see our remaining time being spent on Skype tutorials...

Thanks for the tip!
Old Jun 4th 2012, 12:52 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Even the computer savy seem to fail with the basics
Old Jun 4th 2012, 1:01 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Even the computer savy seem to fail with the basics
I bought my parents a computer and paid someone to go install it for them and set it up. Never used.

I bought them a laptop and had someone to go in and set that up for them (with wireless) cos i thought that would encourage them to use it more. Nope. Grrrr

I send emails / pics to them and they MAYBE pick them up 6 months later. or sometimes never.

Last visit home, a few weeks ago, I went with them and got an ipad. They DO seem to check email on it more regularly than on the laptop... Then they telephone me to tell me they got my email.

When they reply to email, its normally in reply to one I sent ages ago on a different subject, but thats ok cos they then telephone me to tell me that they have replied and what it says.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

We tried Skype with my parents a while ago. Worked first time; second time it didn't. Cue lengthy and tense phone calls... turned out my dad hadn't plugged the webcam into the PC. The third time we tried he hadn't logged into Skype.

When we first had a VCR years ago they asked me to write instructions for them on how to record a programme. I assumed they'd know to put a blank cassette in first...

I'm now writing some instructions on how to use Skype - starting with 'make sure you are sitting by the PC and it is switched on'.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Katsu
I'm now writing some instructions on how to use Skype - starting with 'make sure you are sitting by the PC and it is switched on'.
I feel for ya.

I still havent got mine to master email... Skype is a distant dream.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
I bought my parents a computer and paid someone to go install it for them and set it up. Never used.

I bought them a laptop and had someone to go in and set that up for them (with wireless) cos i thought that would encourage them to use it more. Nope. Grrrr

I send emails / pics to them and they MAYBE pick them up 6 months later. or sometimes never.

Last visit home, a few weeks ago, I went with them and got an ipad. They DO seem to check email on it more regularly than on the laptop... Then they telephone me to tell me they got my email.

When they reply to email, its normally in reply to one I sent ages ago on a different subject, but thats ok cos they then telephone me to tell me that they have replied and what it says.
Quite like "Herding Cats" isn't it?

Jim.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Quite like "Herding Cats" isn't it?

Jim.
Yes, it is.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

gemmabl is an unknown quantity at this point

We got rid of our DVDs and video games before coming here, and later realized we could get converters for everything. That was a regret.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gemmabl
We got rid of our DVDs and video games before coming here, and later realized we could get converters for everything. That was a regret.
That's good to know. We are currently selling/giving away electrical items which we know won't work in the US. We have sold the XBox and Wii, and sadly also the games, but it's probably about time we grew up and stopped playing them anyhow

Will table and floor lamps work over there?
Old Jun 4th 2012, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Katsu
Will table and floor lamps work over there?
Table should be fine.. Not sure about the lamps

Voltage is 110 Vs 230/240. Bulbs may be different too. (screw fitting vs bayonet). Depends on the type used.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 3:46 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Things I'm glad I did are:

Signed up to pay Voluntary Class 2 NI.

Understood the US tax implications of UK bank and investment accounts and pensions.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Nutek

I can totally relate to this (although we bought my parents a Mac and it seems to be making a difference as they appear to be able to navigate and use it more easily than a regular PC). But my parents like to call me up and read out the contents of the email that they just wrote to me!

Now we have their three grandkids over here, including one who is interactive enough to be able to talk to them over video chat, I'm impressed that they are able to figure this out (they do usually call first though to ask if we can video chat).

To the OP: this isn't necessarily something specifically for moving from UK to US, but I scanned in all my important documents including vaccination records, passports, credit cards, driving license etc plus onto my computer so that I could access them in case I couldn't lay my hands on the originals immediately when asked during the administration phase on arrival in the US.

I also arranged for Power of Attorney so my Dad could do things on my behalf that I hadn't anticipated (has come in useful for banking and property). The usefulness of this totally depends on your living situation and if you have anything in the UK that might need attention in your absence. It's proved useful for me.

good luck with the move

Last edited by jackattack; Jun 4th 2012 at 3:49 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.