Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Practical driving test

Practical driving test

Old Sep 21st 2017, 1:34 am
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Practical driving test

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I wonder if it was the location of performing the stop? Technically it is supposed to be at the STOP line, but most of the STOP lines near me are set so far back that having stopped there you cannot see other traffic and determine whether it is safe to proceed. I have seen advice that during the test you should stop twice, once at the line, and then roll forward and stop again where you can see whether it is safe to pull into the junction.
That's what I taught my daughter. She also had some professional driving lessons and her instructor confirmed that was the appropriate M.O. at least in CA.

Personally, I do think it's a good idea for new arrivals to take a 1 hour lesson. They can also use the driving school car for the test. A good instructor will be familiar with the preferences and foibles of the local examiners and can offer good tips on how to pass first time! It's worth the small expense, IMO.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 1:36 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Practical driving test

Originally Posted by mrken30
We have roundabouts in Oregon, just not many.
We only have a few, but they multiplying. Two new ones have been added this summer, and I know of five more that are coming - related construction work has already started.