power lines

Old Oct 28th 2005, 12:52 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: power lines

Originally Posted by Ray
Not quite true in the shifting sands of Florida...
Remember Florida is just a big sandbank ...

I'm sure they can afford a bit of slack to allow for movement they charge enough.
Old Oct 28th 2005, 1:18 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

You can't just start putting things underground, what would happen to all those nice contracts for maintaining the overhead cables. As with everything else there's probably too much money involved for anything to be done about it.
Old Oct 28th 2005, 1:19 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: power lines

Last year we had a mini-tornado in our street and a couple of adjacent streets; quite a few really old, tall trees came crashing down and took out the power lines. Luckily for us it was in late September and the temps were still mild so didn't have the heating on. We were without power for 30 hours! We were on the verge of checking into a motel as without electricity we have no hot water and can't cook. I remember being a small girl and the power cuts we had in England when Ted Heath was in power (although we did at least have a coal fire and it was fun to make toast by holding up to the fire with a fork LOL!).

During past winters we've often had power cuts during the day for 3-4 hours and I've had to resort to going out to the mall or even spend a couple of hours in the library to warm up in these bitterly cold NE winters ....I find it unbelievable that they don't put power cables underground. My husband has a theory that in our area where many of the homes are being torn down and replaced by McMansions or where people have huge extensions on their houses to double or triple them in size, the local electricity sub-station can't cope with the extra demand and really needs to be upgraded (think about how many electrical gadgets we all have now compared to the 60s or 70s).
Old Oct 28th 2005, 1:32 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Last year we had a mini-tornado in our street and a couple of adjacent streets; quite a few really old, tall trees came crashing down and took out the power lines. Luckily for us it was in late September and the temps were still mild so didn't have the heating on. We were without power for 30 hours! We were on the verge of checking into a motel as without electricity we have no hot water and can't cook. I remember being a small girl and the power cuts we had in England when Ted Heath was in power (although we did at least have a coal fire and it was fun to make toast by holding up to the fire with a fork LOL!).

During past winters we've often had power cuts during the day for 3-4 hours and I've had to resort to going out to the mall or even spend a couple of hours in the library to warm up in these bitterly cold NE winters ....I find it unbelievable that they don't put power cables underground. My husband has a theory that in our area where many of the homes are being torn down and replaced by McMansions or where people have huge extensions on their houses to double or triple them in size, the local electricity sub-station can't cope with the extra demand and really needs to be upgraded (think about how many electrical gadgets we all have now compared to the 60s or 70s).
In New Jersey it won't happen because most contractors are run by the mob. Slightly OT: I work with a lot of publishers and one of them were moving to a new building and they were talking about contracts for garbage collection - they were advised by the previous owners that they should not even consider changing, and when they met the boss it became pretty clear why.
Old Oct 28th 2005, 2:57 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard the excuse that they don't bury the cables because they then become difficult (and expensive and disruptive) to access when it comes time to upgrade or perform maintenance on. Also, imagine if you had a fault, but couldn't locate it

I've also heard another reason is because the tree roots become wrapped around the cables (and water pipes, as happened here this week) Then when a hurricane comes along and uproots all the trees, the pipes and cables are uprooted too.

My power was off after Wilma, but only for 36 hours. Some of my coworkers still do not have any power and have been told it may not come back on until mid November :scared: (Fort Myers/Naples area of SW Florida)
Old Oct 28th 2005, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScousePete
I've heard the excuse that they don't bury the cables because they then become difficult (and expensive and disruptive) to access when it comes time to upgrade or perform maintenance on. Also, imagine if you had a fault, but couldn't locate it

I've also heard another reason is because the tree roots become wrapped around the cables (and water pipes, as happened here this week) Then when a hurricane comes along and uproots all the trees, the pipes and cables are uprooted too.

My power was off after Wilma, but only for 36 hours. Some of my coworkers still do not have any power and have been told it may not come back on until mid November :scared: (Fort Myers/Naples area of SW Florida)
Ours was out for about three days after Wilma, and some of my coworkers are still without power - which probably sucks if they have no generator to run their air con.

Anyone heard from AWP since Wilma?
Old Oct 28th 2005, 3:09 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
without power - which probably sucks if they have no generator to run their air con.
The only upside is that the weather is nice and cool now, so AC is not essential. I heard some horror stories about the days after Charlie - mid August and 95 degrees
Old Oct 28th 2005, 3:18 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

The only upside is that the weather is nice and cool now, so AC is not essential. I heard some horror stories about the days after Charlie - mid August and 95 degrees
Good point.... Gas is underground and that doesn't go out in storm
Old Oct 28th 2005, 3:26 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

All they ahve to do is place cables within conduits, and have inspection chambers at regular intervals. It should be as easy as overhead cables and more secure. Trees here are allowed to grow far too close to buildings and utilities, and they people wonder why it causes problems. Existing tree roots can be controlled using root barriers (or encaseing senstive equipment in concrete).
Old Oct 28th 2005, 5:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The power cuts are bad, and annoying, but whats worse, is the regular little power blips that happen all the time, so have to go around and reset the clocks on microwaves, cookers, alarms...all sorts, as well as knocking out the puter all the time...poor surge protector doesn't have get a work out.
Old Oct 28th 2005, 5:58 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Glad y'all are okay. It sucks. Lost power for 24 hrs last year with one of them (don't ask me which one, they're all the same to me!), and it sucked big time. No aircon, middle of summer. Yuck.
Old Oct 28th 2005, 6:22 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
The power cuts are bad, and annoying, but whats worse, is the regular little power blips that happen all the time, so have to go around and reset the clocks on microwaves, cookers, alarms...all sorts, as well as knocking out the puter all the time...poor surge protector doesn't have get a work out.

It might pay off for you to get one of those battery backup/surge protector box thingys for your computer if you leave it on all the time.
I dont know much about large scale electrical distribution but the grids here seem to be very fragile
Old Oct 28th 2005, 6:26 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chorlton
All they ahve to do is place cables within conduits, and have inspection chambers at regular intervals. It should be as easy as overhead cables and more secure. Trees here are allowed to grow far too close to buildings and utilities, and they people wonder why it causes problems. Existing tree roots can be controlled using root barriers (or encaseing senstive equipment in concrete).
Then of course you have sinkholes ...
Old Oct 28th 2005, 6:40 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Remember having this discussion years ago when I was an apprentice sparky on day release at college...

Basically the reason why power cable are above ground are...

1. They can use smaller diameter cables to shift huge amounts of volts down them, the reason they can use smaller diameter cable = $$$ is because its not "insulated" therefore being up in the air "dissipates" the heat that would be generated by the thousands of volts going down it, "insulation breakdown".

Insulation breakdown is a right pain in the arse and will cause all kinds of nightmares, I.E electricity will jump from one cable to another.

The only down side of this is they look ugly and little jimmy that flys his kite to close and climbs upto untangle it gets 10,000 volts through the poor bugger.

2. By burying cables underground you have to protect the cables by outrages amount of insulation, and from people digging them up etc, very expensive.

I'm sure there are more reasons, but I was bit of a dollard and didn't listen very well in class.
Old Oct 28th 2005, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

mrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Yosser
Remember having this discussion years ago when I was an apprentice sparky on day release at college...

Basically the reason why power cable are above ground are...

1. They can use smaller diameter cables to shift huge amounts of volts down them, the reason they can use smaller diameter cable = $$$ is because its not "insulated" therefore being up in the air "dissipates" the heat that would be generated by the thousands of volts going down it, "insulation breakdown".

Insulation breakdown is a right pain in the arse and will cause all kinds of nightmares, I.E electricity will jump from one cable to another.

The only down side of this is they look ugly and little jimmy that flys his kite to close and climbs upto untangle it gets 10,000 volts through the poor bugger.

2. By burying cables underground you have to protect the cables by outrages amount of insulation, and from people digging them up etc, very expensive.

I'm sure there are more reasons, but I was bit of a dollard and didn't listen very well in class.
So how do all other European countries manage to have them all underground?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.