Power Cuts

Old Sep 9th 2006, 7:58 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Power Cuts

Woke up this morning at about 8:20 to discover that we had no power. Found out from the neighbours it went off around 7:30am, and it eventually came back on at 10:55am. Then at about 2:30pm, just as I was putting the finishing touches to a lengthy email, the bloody power went out again, but this time for only 10 minutes. This is not as unusual as you might think - in the 25 months we've lived in our current house we've had a couple of power cuts obviously due to storms but about half a dozen outages (including today's as one) in good weather for no apparent reason. I lived for a similar period of time in a town in Uganda and can honestly say that I found the power supply there to be marginally more reliable than it is here in north-central NJ.

Is the power supply more or less reliable than this for everyone else? We live in a fairly suburbanised area 30 miles west of New York - it's not like we're out in the sticks here.
Old Sep 9th 2006, 8:09 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: Power Cuts

Power went out here at 2300 hrs last night and went on again at 1430. happens at least twice a month in the winter months up here due to snow fall and/or ice storms.

I am so sick of hearing how advanced this country is.......power lines on poles in winters with snowfall measured in feet NOT inches ???? WTF is all that about. I can remember the last time I had a power cut in the UK.

We have 6 kids here....I can't afford to be subjected to regular powercuts. Everytime the lights come back on there's another bloody mouth to feed.
Old Sep 9th 2006, 8:15 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

It happens enough here that I bought a small generator to power the essentials.
We has a similiar thread a while back on the subject:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=386276

Originally Posted by elfman
Woke up this morning at about 8:20 to discover that we had no power. Found out from the neighbours it went off around 7:30am, and it eventually came back on at 10:55am. Then at about 2:30pm, just as I was putting the finishing touches to a lengthy email, the bloody power went out again, but this time for only 10 minutes. This is not as unusual as you might think - in the 25 months we've lived in our current house we've had a couple of power cuts obviously due to storms but about half a dozen outages (including today's as one) in good weather for no apparent reason. I lived for a similar period of time in a town in Uganda and can honestly say that I found the power supply there to be marginally more reliable than it is here in north-central NJ.

Is the power supply more or less reliable than this for everyone else? We live in a fairly suburbanised area 30 miles west of New York - it's not like we're out in the sticks here.
Old Sep 9th 2006, 8:20 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Texas_Dave
We has a similiar thread a while back on the subject:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=386276
Ah - I missed that because I was back in the old country on holiday (and the last time I remember experiencing a power cut in Britain was back in the late 70s).

Edit: just read that thread - perhaps this one will also end up with people having sex with farm animals in Home Depot.

Last edited by elfman; Sep 9th 2006 at 8:25 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2006, 8:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

power cuts, yup, loads of them, on really hot days with AC madness, in heavy rain because people crash into the poles, in snow, because theres a lot of it and poles break...

it was pretty bad in maine as well, even in a "City"...but it's as bad here down in mass..
Old Sep 9th 2006, 9:11 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Power cuts are a way of life in Florida.
Old Sep 9th 2006, 9:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

The states need to start paying their bills for the hydro that they are buying from canada!
Old Sep 9th 2006, 9:16 pm
A lion in your lap

Originally Posted by willmore
The states need to start paying their bills for the hydro that they are buying from canada!
It amused me the way they at first tried to blame Canada for the big blackout in the northeast USA in August 03.
Old Sep 9th 2006, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It amused me the way they at first tried to blame Canada for the big blackout in the northeast USA in August 03.

Ah with the bush administration we get blamed for everything - just the other day bush was quoted as saying that canada was a "terror threat".
Old Sep 9th 2006, 9:21 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Ah with the bush administration we get blamed for everything - just the other day bush was quoted as saying that canada was a "terror threat".
I thought Canada was just the USA's hat?
Old Sep 9th 2006, 9:29 pm
A lion in your lap

Oh Canada - also known to certain people as the Soviet Republic of Canuckistan.

Old Sep 9th 2006, 9:43 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Here the US map
Attached Thumbnails Power Cuts-according-us.jpg  
Old Sep 9th 2006, 10:57 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
Here the US map
England is a bit specific - shouldn't it be London?
Old Sep 9th 2006, 11:03 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Edit: just read that thread - perhaps this one will also end up with people having sex with farm animals in Home Depot.
You called?

Frequent power outages in South Jersey, seems to be when it rains hard for some reason.
Old Sep 9th 2006, 11:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
I thought Canada was just the USA's hat?

I thought we were just considered the "bedroom" of the states!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.