Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Power Of Attorney Question

Power Of Attorney Question

Old Sep 10th 2005, 12:22 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute
Default Power Of Attorney Question

How do i go about giving someone in the UK power of attorney on my behalf?

I only need them to act for a limited time, maybe 12 months.

Anyone done this?
Old Sep 10th 2005, 12:50 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Power Of Attorney Question

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride

Anyone done this?

I imagine this will have to be done through a solicitor. Why not contact whoever did your will or conveyancing when you were still in the UK?
Old Sep 10th 2005, 1:11 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
I imagine this will have to be done through a solicitor. Why not contact whoever did your will or conveyancing when you were still in the UK?
What I need to know is how I would go about doing this as I am here and the person I wish to act as my POA is in the UK and I need them to act for me in the UK. I don't have a solicitor that I used for my conveyancing as I still own my property in the UK.

Does anyone know if I would go to a solicitor here or one in the UK? Or has anyone done this?
Old Sep 10th 2005, 1:21 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

errr....your bank in the UK might have someone that could set it up, hsbc offered to do it for me, well i had them do my will and stuff in case i kick the bucket and they were really good about it.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

What I need to know is how I would go about doing this as I am here and the person I wish to act as my POA is in the UK and I need them to act for me in the UK. I don't have a solicitor that I used for my conveyancing as I still own my property in the UK.

Does anyone know if I would go to a solicitor here or one in the UK? Or has anyone done this?
It's easy peasy. Find a power of attorney form on the internet and buy it, I bought one two years ago and it cost around ten quid I think. Print it off and fill it in with the dates you require it to last for. Have a witness sign it and voila.

We used it when my hubby's grandparents died and we wanted to let my parents have control over our share of the estate.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...al_affairs.htm

http://www.clickdocs.co.uk/ordinary-...f-attorney.htm

Last edited by snorkmaiden; Sep 10th 2005 at 2:26 am.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 1:20 pm
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think a US power of attorney will cover the UK since a UK Will does not cover US property. We had to have two Wills prepared to cover property in the UK and US. Contact your Bank in the UK they are usually pretty helpful, or just find an UK attorney with a webpage and ask them.

If you need someone just to handle your bank account then a simple solution is to include that person as a signatory to the account.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynne
I don't think a US power of attorney will cover the UK since a UK Will does not cover US property.
She just needs to download a UK power of attorney form as she needs someone to act on her behalf in the UK.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 10:01 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
She just needs to download a UK power of attorney form as she needs someone to act on her behalf in the UK.
Thanks. I've had a look at the links and there is no formal document for a temporary power of attorney.

Do you know if I have something drawn up and notarized here then will it be valid in the UK? I thought there was some problem using a document in the UK that hd been notarised here.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 10:24 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I've had a look at the links and there is no formal document for a temporary power of attorney.

Do you know if I have something drawn up and notarized here then will it be valid in the UK? I thought there was some problem using a document in the UK that hd been notarised here.

Sorry, can't help you, but you might want to try the Legal Issues board at the Motley Fool (under Helpful Fools): www.fool.co.uk
Old Sep 10th 2005, 10:49 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

Sorry, can't help you, but you might want to try the Legal Issues board at the Motley Fool (under Helpful Fools): www.fool.co.uk
Thanks, will do.

I was just hoping that someone here would have had experience of doing this. I'm surprised it hasn't come up before.
Old Sep 11th 2005, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

proo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to all

Anyone done this?
I'm doing this myself. You don't need a solicitor unless you want it in case you become mentally incapacitated also. You need to get a general/ordinary power of attorney (valid for England and Wales, or Scotland) either from the internet or you can order them off Amazon, WHSmith, legal sites etc. Fill it all in and get a 3rd party to witness it. The attorney can go to the bank themselves with the certificate although I was told by the bank to send a cover letter explaining the situation (just in case). If you have non-regular accounts e.g. stocks and shares ISAs, you need to get the local branch to send a 'certified' copy (the branch can attest it) to the relevant office.
Old Sep 11th 2005, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

I didn't get mine notarized, I just got it witnessed by someone that works with my husband.

I put in the dates I wanted it to last for (it was a month I think) and I sent it to the UK with a letter explaining why I was unable to come home to deal with things myself and that was it.
Old Sep 11th 2005, 4:10 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

Originally Posted by proo
I'm doing this myself. You don't need a solicitor unless you want it in case you become mentally incapacitated also. You need to get a general/ordinary power of attorney (valid for England and Wales, or Scotland) either from the internet or you can order them off Amazon, WHSmith, legal sites etc. Fill it all in and get a 3rd party to witness it. The attorney can go to the bank themselves with the certificate although I was told by the bank to send a cover letter explaining the situation (just in case). If you have non-regular accounts e.g. stocks and shares ISAs, you need to get the local branch to send a 'certified' copy (the branch can attest it) to the relevant office.
Thanks for the post. Thats all the info I need! Karma sent!
Old Sep 11th 2005, 4:12 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
I didn't get mine notarized, I just got it witnessed by someone that works with my husband.

I put in the dates I wanted it to last for (it was a month I think) and I sent it to the UK with a letter explaining why I was unable to come home to deal with things myself and that was it.
Thanks too snork. I'll get mine notarized, we have someone we know who does it. I want to make sure everything goes smoothly and a few official looking stamps and flourish will no doubt help with the twits at my bank!
Old Sep 11th 2005, 4:13 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

I posted thanks. Haven't been back to check yet but I have all the info I need from here now.