Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Poverty in the USA

Poverty in the USA

Old Mar 6th 2012, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poverty in the USA

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Oh my we've gone back to infants school.
MITF yes you sure got that one right just ignore him and he may disappear
Old Mar 6th 2012, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Yeah, I'm sure a few people on the dole are the tipping point for the British finiancial situation and not the wilful loss of industry and throwing money away chasing after the US as they fight yet more of their pointless oil excursions; I mean wars on terror ...
Naïve.
Shame on you!! If you are not with the US, then you are with the terrorists!!

Originally Posted by dogloverus
The welfare budget for the UK is £140bn more than health, education and defence combined so I fail to see how the 'welfare state' is anything other than one of the biggest drains on the UK public purse hence that is why Cameron is trying to reign it in - bit late may I add though!
Irrespective of your rubbery figures, you people never even consider why. All you do is repeat the mantra that the welfare recipient is actually dripping with cash-and rorting welfare.

and why are you so pro welfare state one of the reasons we move to the States is that more of our income is in our pockets as opposed to funding those who simply to put it bluntly cant be arsed.
Very commendable. There is no need for you to ever return to the UK then, is there?

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Nice non-sequiteur from attempting to defend your dodgy spending numbers!

I don't really consider myself "so pro welfare state". I do believe there should be a solid safety net to help those that truly need it. Otoh, I believe that welfare must not become an impediment to encouraging people to be in work. It's a difficult tradeoff to pull off, and both the US and UK fail in different respects.

Interesting that you feel able to state that "one of the reasons we move to the States is that more of our income is in our pockets as opposed to funding those who simply to put it bluntly cant be arsed.". Well, maybe that was true for you but it sure as heck wasn't for me. Generalize much?
Exactly!

go back and live in england then you are in love with the place!!!!!!
Dey sayin' dis to de White man too???!!!
Old Mar 6th 2012, 11:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
Shame on you!! If you are not with the US, then you are with the terrorists!!

Irrespective of your rubbery figures, you people never even consider why. All you do is repeat the mantra that the welfare recipient is actually dripping with cash-and rorting welfare.

Very commendable. There is no need for you to ever return to the UK then, is there?

Exactly!

Dey sayin' dis to de White man too???!!!
The dog bloke has been seen off
Old Mar 7th 2012, 2:51 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
The dog bloke has been seen off
Ah crap, they always get seen off before I get a chance to have a proper barney with them
Old Mar 7th 2012, 2:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Ah crap, they always get seen off before I get a chance to have a proper barney with them
They usually pop up again.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 3:04 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
They usually pop up again.
I'll be ready
Old Mar 7th 2012, 2:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be ready
You'll have to be quicker than that though
Old Mar 7th 2012, 2:23 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Bob
You'll have to be quicker than that though
Did I miss another one?
Old Mar 7th 2012, 3:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Did I miss another one?
Old Mar 7th 2012, 3:49 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Bob
Bloody hell!
Old Mar 25th 2012, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Poverty in the USA

The sad thing about the poverty here is that once the Recession disappears most people will forget for pushing for a solution, so the same thing does not happen again.
Old Mar 25th 2012, 2:15 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
Feel sorry for these kids - but the rat story doesn't make any sense, unless the child in question comes from an abusive home.

Not an expert in the US welfare system by any stretch but my wife and mother in law were on welfare/food stamps for a number of years so I ran it past them. Certainly nowhere near a perfect system (health insurance etc..) but there were options to put food on the table beyond what the state and the schools give out - local charities (in Vegas they have Mormon humanitarian groups) soup kitchens, churches, food banks, food pantries, shelters etc. Have seen families in rural parts that hunt for food and eat stuff like squirrel - rats though?

Glad to say that the school in the BBC clip was awarded $100,000 from Target and now receives daily donations from local businesses. It has been able to start a trust fund to help impoverished kids get to college.
Indeed, programs like Second Harvest spring to mind as being worthwhile. Editorial comment- I would rather have seen MORE volunteers on a mission project go to NO after Katrina, then off to Guatemala...........
Old Mar 26th 2012, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

SATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really nice

Originally Posted by veryfunny
The sad thing about the poverty here is that once the Recession disappears most people will forget for pushing for a solution, so the same thing does not happen again.
The irony here is there is no "solution" to poverty. It has been tried Soviet etc... it failed, nor was it fair. Poverty is not non-existent in Europe, or any other part of the planet. Poverty will always exist, everwhere, especially since the definition is vague, even in government descriptions.

I would post a link to the "Radical" UK preacher on public assistance but hey it is the DM. Although an exception, that was not what the programs were designed for. People do take advantage of these programs in the US and UK.

I only advocate the system should be reformed. Get free housing etc... do a service, pick up trash on the road or something, anything. It should also not be unlimited assistance. That was the intent, assist people to eventually provide for themselves, not subsidize all facets of life while not contributing back to the general welfare of the population.

If everyone does not have to work and gets free housing, food and healthcare, where is the motivation to work?

Our parents worked hard to provide us all a better future, the challenge is some on the rolls want it, but expect someone else to do all the work for them and their children.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SATX John
The irony here is there is no "solution" to poverty. It has been tried Soviet etc... it failed, nor was it fair. Poverty is not non-existent in Europe, or any other part of the planet. Poverty will always exist, everwhere, especially since the definition is vague, even in government descriptions.

I would post a link to the "Radical" UK preacher on public assistance but hey it is the DM. Although an exception, that was not what the programs were designed for. People do take advantage of these programs in the US and UK.

I only advocate the system should be reformed. Get free housing etc... do a service, pick up trash on the road or something, anything. It should also not be unlimited assistance. That was the intent, assist people to eventually provide for themselves, not subsidize all facets of life while not contributing back to the general welfare of the population.

If everyone does not have to work and gets free housing, food and healthcare, where is the motivation to work?

Our parents worked hard to provide us all a better future, the challenge is some on the rolls want it, but expect someone else to do all the work for them and their children.
SATX, you highlight the consequences of human failings - as I state in posts elsewhere, in 1 or 2 areas where I think you & I violently disagree about the how, if I read your post here correctly, then I share your frustration that some people won't help themselves, and are conditioned to expect a handout. I would much rather see people who need a little bump up get that from wherever, without constraint. Back in the Uk there are people who come from 2-3 generations of people who have never worked, have lived on state handouts. I hate that, but I blame the system more than I blame them. It's not just a waste of money, it's also a waste of lives and potential. But on balance I'd rather have that than have a system that eliminates this expectation of handout in return for nothing and as a result some vulnerable people fall through the cracks. Am I prepared to pay for it in higher taxes? Yes (and I suspect that is where you and I part company on this). Does that mean I don't want it reformed? No. Although it's not clear to me what I could do to help with reform... at least, not yet.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

SATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really nice

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
SATX, you highlight the consequences of human failings - as I state in posts elsewhere, in 1 or 2 areas where I think you & I violently disagree about the how, if I read your post here correctly, then I share your frustration that some people won't help themselves, and are conditioned to expect a handout. I would much rather see people who need a little bump up get that from wherever, without constraint. Back in the Uk there are people who come from 2-3 generations of people who have never worked, have lived on state handouts. I hate that, but I blame the system more than I blame them. It's not just a waste of money, it's also a waste of lives and potential. But on balance I'd rather have that than have a system that eliminates this expectation of handout in return for nothing and as a result some vulnerable people fall through the cracks. Am I prepared to pay for it in higher taxes? Yes (and I suspect that is where you and I part company on this). Does that mean I don't want it reformed? No. Although it's not clear to me what I could do to help with reform... at least, not yet.
Excellent post Harry, I agree with you on many points.

If only the Pol's determined a way forward vs. only "my way or highway". Both parties are guilty of this type of behavior. I think I have been critical of the Rep's too.

Cheers