Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Poverty in the USA

Poverty in the USA

Old Mar 2nd 2012, 9:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poverty in the USA

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
And any remaining debt is forgiven after 25 (?) years.
Don't know if it is still the case, but it was at 50 years of age, when I got mine.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Don't know if it is still the case, but it was at 50 years of age, when I got mine.
Repayments continue until either the loan is paid off, the payments have been continuing for 25 years, or the student turns 65
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Student...gdom#Repayment
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 9:36 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
There will always be poor, it is a relative term, not an absolute.

You could multiply everybody's income by 10 and the numbers remain the same.
That is why income inequality is the issue. Poverty concerns peoples (in)ability to interact with the culture around them.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LillyRobeson
Everyone knows that free means free at the point of use. What I find intersting is that the US spends more public money on health per capita than the UK does and yet so many people are either uninsured or under-insured. And then, of course, the big whack is in the private expenditure which in the US dwarfs anything paid in the UK. The system is really ****ed up in the US.

I did a postgrad degree in sociology at a US university and one of the things I remember is that in the US, poor people nowadays tend to be OK in terms of material things but the poverty is in the services which they can access like education or health.
Welcome Lilly, your comment here in my opinion is thus far the most thought out and intelligent post since this particular thread started a few weeks ago,
It says it all really,
WELL DONE.
But for me having lived way over half my life in the U.S. for me the big thing that separates the poor in the U.K. from the poor in USA is quite simple,
in U.K. you can be the poorest human being there and without a hope in hell of improving your situation anytime soon ------- but you will always have a roof over your head, a nice full belly, ------ and most importantly access to health care if you get sick, the U.K. Government will always make sure everyone has these basic services without having to beg for them or humiliate yourself in any way, you see thats the big difference between the two countries, if you are a UK citizen or legal resident its your right!!!! and everyone is aware of this,
you are entitled to these things,

But in America the government has a few bull s--t programs to give a little help to some people if there eligible, mostly though with so much damn red tape garbage behind them and subjecting there people to huge lines and a mountain of paperwork and taking forever to make a decision, lots of folk just dont even want to go through all the B.S. to try and maybe get help,
The thing is in the States most of the help thats worth a damn comes from the many different charity organizations, ------ and most of the help from these people is only short time, or one time shot, and lots of people feel too embarrassed to even apply for this,

I have been reading all the posts on this thread since it began a few weeks ago, and a lot of people talk a lot of sense but a lot of others have there head stuck so far up there ass they will never be able to see common sense and the truth, and I have observed some on here showing off there college education in the feeble hope that they just happen to impress someone on here, well guess what you dont,

Last edited by jasper123; Mar 2nd 2012 at 10:52 pm. Reason: add more words
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 10:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17185294

Sheds with Beds are London's Modern Day Slums.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 10:51 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
and I have observed some on here showing off there college education
Presumably nothing basic though like confusing an adverb with a pronoun?
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 11:49 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
And any remaining debt is forgiven after 25 (?) years. Whereas in the US you can't discharge college loan debt even in bankruptcy.
There are a number of ways to get rid of college loan debt. I know someone's daughter who joined the police force in Pennsylvania. She gets paid while in training, and her college debt will be taken out of her pay in manageable payments. After a certain number of years of payments, (maybe 10, can't remember the details), the amount owed is then discharged. (This is because it is a public service job).

Other jobs - doctors, nurses, teachers, can apply. Of course there are certain restrictions, go to rural areas or poor areas to work, etc. But it can be done if you are motivated.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

"The Student Loan Crisis Is Crippling America's Families -- Is The Economy Next?"

http://www.forbes.com/sites/sherylna...-economy-next/
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

SATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really nice

"Wikipedia is the devil's vomit" British Army Major in school with me a couple years ago. Great quote. Not fighting....
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 11:06 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SATX John
"Wikipedia is the devil's vomit" British Army Major in school with me a couple years ago. Great quote. Not fighting....
Don't knock it. I use it a lot, but generally as just a starting point to find other sources. Most decent Wikipedia articles are well cited, so it's useful for that at least. I seldom use the Wikipedia article itself as a source though. It'd be not much better than using another post as a source.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 11:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ethelred_the_Unready
Don't knock it. I use it a lot, but generally as just a starting point to find other sources. Most decent Wikipedia articles are well cited, so it's useful for that at least. I seldom use the Wikipedia article itself as a source though. It'd be not much better than using another post as a source.
Agreed. Well-cited wikipedia articles - like the one I cited - are very useful. Ones without citations are much more marginal.

Interestingly, wikipedia has done well in studies comparing its accuracy with traditional encyclopedias.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 11:16 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Major, eh? Presumably a captain's or lieutenant's verdict would not have held so much weight. So do enlighten us, what is your encyclopaedia of choice?
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

SATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really nice

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Major, eh? Presumably a captain's or lieutenant's verdict would not have held so much weight. So do enlighten us, what is your encyclopaedia of choice?
I do not know, he was in the Royal Irish RGT at Command and General Staff College, so he must have something going on for HMG to send him to the US for two years to go to a US military school. His first year was followed by a second at the School of Advanced Military Studies (SAMS) ie Jedi Knights in the venacular. Wiki it. We were class mates.

I agree on the source/ reference material, that would be where I would I go to.

Never cite Wikipedia, but their source when all else fails. I am a fan of Wiki BTW, great start point, not an academcia standard, anywhere.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 11:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I do not know, he was in the Royal Irish RGT at Command and General Staff College, so he must have something going on for HMG to send him to the US for two years to go to a US military school. His first year was followed by a second at the School of Advanced Military Studies (SAMS) ie Jedi Knights in the venacular. Wiki it. We were class mates.
but it's the Devil's vomit.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
but it's the Devil's vomit.
Touche

Although I was being sarcastic.

Last edited by SATX John; Mar 4th 2012 at 12:02 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.