Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Poverty in the USA

Poverty in the USA

Old Feb 16th 2012, 4:52 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poverty in the USA

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Again, you are assuming a level playing field in who is able to enter lucrative organizations and progress within them.
I don't think I am. People who have the drive to succeed, will succeed. If someone doesn't make it to the level they believe they should be at, then they either don't have sufficient drive or they don't have realistic expectations.

Do you really believe there is no nepotism and no prejudice in the world, and everyone is judged entirely on his or her merits?
I'm well aware of the nepotism and prejudice... which is why I'm not a Republican! I do, however, wish that everyone was judged entirely on his or her merits.

Ian
Old Feb 16th 2012, 6:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Healthcare? In the US only four states give Medicaid to adults without children.

Good point about food stamps. That is one thing that is keeping a friend afloat right now, although I don't know what's going to happen once her house is foreclosed on.
At this point I would trade healthcare for food.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 8:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
At least the US has somewhat better safety net for the poorest and assistance programs for food.
It's shit though...it doesn't help vast chunks of people who are poor and/or struggling, as the income thresholds to qualify are so low that when most people are there, they're already seriously up the wall.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 8:19 pm
Banned

ukmedic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
At this point I would trade healthcare for food.
think good food and good health go together really
Old Feb 16th 2012, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukmedic
think good food and good health go together really

The US is really screwed then.............
Old Feb 16th 2012, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Hmm... income distribution via a progressive tax system. Well, I guess that's one way of looking at it. I don't see it as distribution... in the sense that I'm not getting income distributed from anyone other than my employer.

Ian
Allow me to explain. Person X has an annual income of $300,000. Person Y has an annual income of $30,000. Person X pays $80,000 in taxes each year. Person Y pays $5,000. Person X receives receives $10,000 in government services each year and Person Y receives $15,000. Therefore, the tax system is transferring $10,000 ($15,000 - $5,000) from high income tax payers (like Person X) to Person Y. Person X, on the other hand, is transferring $70,000 ($80,000 - $10,000) of his/her income to low income tax payers like Person Y.

This is a crude way of describing income redistribution via a progressive tax system. All developed countries do this.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 9:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's shit though...it doesn't help vast chunks of people who are poor and/or struggling, as the income thresholds to qualify are so low that when most people are there, they're already seriously up the wall.
Its not much here. You have to be destitute and have no other options such as life insurance , selling your car etc.

Pays very little. A single gets 235/month. If you have housing they will pay up to 375 for rent.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 1:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

I don't think I am. People who have the drive to succeed, will succeed. If someone doesn't make it to the level they believe they should be at, then they either don't have sufficient drive or they don't have realistic expectations.

Ian
If only it was just black and white. Unfortunately there are shades of gray that has nothing to do with unrealistic expectations or insufficient drive.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 12:16 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brigette
Unfortunately there are shades of gray that has nothing to do with unrealistic expectations or insufficient drive.
Would you kindly care to elaborate?

Ian
Old Feb 17th 2012, 9:00 pm
Banned

londonights is an unknown quantity at this point

Ian

i feel the example of having to eat a rat is very sad but i feel v.extreme
Old Feb 17th 2012, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Ian
Sure All I'm saying is that just because someone is not successful does not "necessarily" mean that is from lack of trying or lack of drive. Your concept for the most part though valid, does not account for variability.

Example: some people can do everything right, work hard and continue to do so, yet they are not at the level they should be. Other people can be in the same position, and just get a lucky break... in the right place at the right time, know the right people, have the right connections etc

So while I agree with the concept of what you are saying, I just have a more nuanced view of it. For me it's just too much of a blanket statement to lump all together without allowing for varying circumstances. So yeah most people who have the drive to succeed will probably succeed. Will there be an outlier here and there, yes, there will be...and that's the point I was trying to make. So while there was validity there, (in your statement) it sounded like a sweeping generalization (or that was my interpretation of it) and so I wanted to account for "shades of gray".

Sorry for being so long winded... but this was a welcome break from working on my research methods project which is about to drive me mad
Old Feb 20th 2012, 7:23 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Marocco
I remember being surprised by many homeless I saw in Toronto less than two years ago. Most of them seemed to congregate near shopping malls, and appeared to be able bodied and of working age.
You never know what could be wrong with someone, plenty of people can lok able bodied and be working age but not be able to work.

If your look at me you would say the same, but health concerns prevent me from working, they are just not a visible problem.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 4:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sid50
I think there was an element of sensationalism and bias in what they showed. Billions are spent on Medicare and Medicaid for the poor so dont see why that health camp was set up.
As I've mentioned before in this thread, only four states give Medicaid cover to adults without children. Additionally the income and asset thresholds are typically very low to qualify. Millions fall into the trap of not qualifying for Medicaid, not getting employer health insurance, and not being able to get affordable individual coverage.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 11:32 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Really struggling to understand why so many Americans have such abysmal attitudes towards the poor. The UK isn't perfect either, but I don't recall hearing as much vitriol against the working poor, nor do I recall healthcare being denied to the poor, or it even being implied.

Thoughts?
Old Feb 27th 2012, 11:35 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cluedweasel
The US is really screwed then.............
Yep. Eating well here costs a small fortune and there isn't the variety of fresh food that is common in Europe. The US needs to create more small scale farms to grow fruit & veg only for towns & cities in a 50 mile radius and end subsidies to farmers to grow endless corn to be turned into corn syrup (bad). This would bring down costs significantly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.