Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Poverty in the USA

Poverty in the USA

Old Feb 15th 2012, 2:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poverty in the USA

Originally Posted by Marocco
Not to mention that they make no economic sense whatsoever.
The jury's out on that one. Some studies have said that; some have concluded that by putting a floor on wages, it increases demand in the economy as people typically spend all of their income at those wage levels.

There's a bunch of papers here:

http://www.irle.berkeley.edu/research/minimumwage.html
Old Feb 15th 2012, 4:11 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yes... on the assumption the person's skill set is worth that much! A cardiologist should not earn the same as a Walmart greeter... indeed, the cardiologist should earn considerably more! A person's earning capacity should be based on his ability.

Since you mention it though, I also believe there should be no minimum wage. Minimum wage is a lot like affirmative action... both are insulting.

Ian
You assume that a person earns money in a vacuum. I suppose some people do, but it's quite unusual. Mrs FB for example works solely for herself: she buys materials on the open market, adds value to them thorough her labour and skill, and then sells the final product or rights to it on the open market. Her product is a luxury, not a necessity. There should, indeed, be no limit to what she can earn.

The guy with the crazy salary I quoted earlier, however, is the CEO of United Healthcare. Healthcare is not open, is a necessity, and the CEO works with many of thousands of other people within the company to allow it to function.

Stepping over the lack of openness in the market and necessity for folks to be given access to healthcare (both big issues!), I believe he should have no limit to his earnings, either. However, that remuneration cannot be solely on the backs of his co-workers. He earns 20 times, 30 times or even 50 times what the cleaner of his office does, fine! He earns 10,000 times as much and we have a very big issue.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Thing is, it can take 6 months to get section 8 housing in MA, so you could be homeless by then.

It takes at least 3 months to get food stamps and about that for WIC to come through.

If you're looking for help to get childcare costs, there's a waiting list of 3 years.
Aye that's true. But even then we still aren't quite into Private Baldrick territory given the other help on offer.

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Not necessarily. I've been in Newark, New Jersey (Brazilian National Day) and was offered a guinea pig to eat from a street barbie. It was on a skewer and still had the flipping head, ears and tail on it. I shuddered...and passed on the offer.
Wow - I knew those were a delicacy in South America but I didn't know you could buy roasted ones in Newark. I used to have 3 guinea pigs growing up called Lenin, Stalin and Trotsky and to be honest they were rubbish pets (2 of them copped it pretty quickly and the cat ate the last one). Perhaps I would have been better sticking them on the Barbeque.

Last edited by HumphreyC; Feb 15th 2012 at 4:17 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 6:50 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
There should, indeed, be no limit to what she can earn.
I agree 100%.

I believe he should have no limit to his earnings, either. However, that remuneration cannot be solely on the backs of his co-workers. He earns 20 times, 30 times or even 50 times what the cleaner of his office does, fine!
Those who decide such things, have decided he has the skills and abilities to warrant that sort of salary. If the cleaner has those same skills and abilities, then I submit his life is being wasted and he should look elsewhere for work.

There's also the other side of the coin... people like me, who are sitting at the top of Mazlow's Heirarchy. I work because I want to and because I enjoy what I'm doing - the pay isn't great, and I could get 2x or 3x as much in the private sector... but I'm content applying my skills at this level. I enjoy the interaction with my coworkers and with our graduate students. I've gone back to school myself, because I can. I don't need a PhD to further my career, and I'm fully qualified for what I do... but I'd like to get a PhD anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's tragic that people can't make ends meet... but many (although certainly not all) of those people have unrealistic expectations. They believe they should be paid more than they're skills are worth, and then they whine about the inequities of life because they're unwilling to face the truth about themselves.

Ian
Old Feb 15th 2012, 6:55 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Those who decide such things, have decided he has the skills and abilities to warrant that sort of salary. If the cleaner has those same skills and abilities, then I submit his life is being wasted and he should look elsewhere for work.
And who are those who decide such things?
Old Feb 15th 2012, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly, who decides what someone's skills are worth, why shouldn't a k-12 teacher earn the same as a CEO?
Old Feb 15th 2012, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

MrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
Exactly, who decides what someone's skills are worth, why shouldn't a k-12 teacher earn the same as a CEO?
I'm not sure how comparable the two are in business terms as one has the potential to earn a corporation millions in profits and the other doesn't, although the teacher may arguably perform a more socially and societally (is that a word...) beneficial job.

This does raise the point of whether a persons earnings should be based purely on creating wealth, or on a person's ability to improve society, the environment etc..... Unfortunately money making is the key (and often only) in these things.

Perhaps more approriate to compare workers within a single company.... There is a hierarchy for a valid reason (I guess....) and yet the people at the top can't exist without the pee-ons who actually do all the work - that is what smarts for the average worker - all the hard work for none of the reward
Old Feb 15th 2012, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrBaker2011
I'm not sure how comparable the two are in business terms as one has the potential to earn a corporation millions in profits and the other doesn't, although the teacher may arguably perform a more socially and societally (is that a word...) beneficial job.

This does raise the point of whether a persons earnings should be based purely on creating wealth, or on a person's ability to improve society, the environment etc..... Unfortunately money making is the key (and often only) in these things.

Perhaps more approriate to compare workers within a single company.... There is a hierarchy for a valid reason (I guess....) and yet the people at the top can't exist without the pee-ons who actually do all the work - that is what smarts for the average worker - all the hard work for none of the reward
But the teacher could teach the child the skills or give the inspiration to go on and make millions. Personally I don't believe it should be assessed only on the ability to make money.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 9:30 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I'm guessing, since he's a CEO, that the Board of Directors decides such things.

Ian
Old Feb 15th 2012, 9:40 pm
Account Closed

Exactly, who decides what someone's skills are worth...
The individual decides what his skills are worth. If he chooses to work for an employer that pays less than that, that's his choice. If he can't stomach the salary, he can go into business for himself.

... why shouldn't a k-12 teacher earn the same as a CEO?
As a former K-12 teacher, I'd very much like to have been paid the same as a CEO... but I chose to accept what the Board of Education was willing to pay me.

But since you brought it up... for the answer to why a K-12 teacher doesn't earn the same as a CEO (much as I believe they should), one need only look at how schools boards are funded.

Ian
Old Feb 15th 2012, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

MrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond repute

But the teacher could teach the child the skills or give the inspiration to go on and make millions. Personally I don't believe it should be assessed only on the ability to make money.
Essentially, that is what I was getting at. Sadly this is more than a little ideological - the world can't work that way as the money to pay the teacher has to come from somewhere, and unfortunately there is very little we can do to change that. Maybe the teacher should get a bonus if the kid they teach becomes a millionaire....
Old Feb 15th 2012, 9:48 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by MrBaker2011
... that is what smarts for the average worker - all the hard work for none of the reward
On the contrary, their paycheck is their reward. That is what they traded their skills for. Those who enjoy what they're doing understand that. Those who feel they sold out, are angry with themselves for accepting less than they believe they're worth. But instead of being mature and accepting responsibility for their actions, they whine about the inequities of life to all and sundry. They can either live with their situation, or work to improve it... their choice.

Ian
Old Feb 15th 2012, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

garfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the rough

Indeed! Some people will also earn more because they not only have greater ability, they're also smarter - which is different than "better educated".

For the record, I'm not a Republican... so I dismiss your earlier "right wing" comment.

Ian
maybe not but you sound like one, probably because you live in Kentucky and are surrounded by them.
and dont even get me started on what a drain your state and others are on society..... (real americans HAHA)
when you dont really matter
what do you make in Kentucky that benefits anybody?
Cannon fodder for endless wars!!!

Last edited by garfro; Feb 15th 2012 at 10:05 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

garfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the rough

On the contrary, their paycheck is their reward. That is what they traded their skills for. Those who enjoy what they're doing understand that. Those who feel they sold out, are angry with themselves for accepting less than they believe they're worth. But instead of being mature and accepting responsibility for their actions, they whine about the inequities of life to all and sundry. They can either live with their situation, or work to improve it... their choice.

Ian
dont forget the Cadillac healthcare package!!!
Old Feb 15th 2012, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

Ian
This is true, it is a free market economy. But when you are in that position it is difficult to appreciate.

Unfortunately, our society has got to a level where too many want what they can't afford and feel that they have a right to it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.