British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   pound / Dollar - $1.95 today (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/pound-dollar-%241-95-today-410599/)

franc11s Nov 28th 2006 7:35 pm

pound / Dollar - $1.95 today

Time to sell my UK house :) That's up 40% from the 1.4 money rate I sent over 5 years back :) Plus the House price has gone up more than friggin US properties (here in GA)...

bets on whether it'll be $2 to the pound...

Hayley Nov 28th 2006 7:42 pm

Re: pound / Dollar - $1.95 today

Originally Posted by franc11s
Time to sell my UK house :) That's up 40% from the 1.4 money rate I sent over 5 years back :) Plus the House price has gone up more than friggin US properties (here in GA)...

Holy sh** and I'm selling my US house. at this rate I'll be able to buy a weeks worth of groceries with the proceeds in Blighty.

Big D Nov 28th 2006 7:49 pm

the toruist rate for mortals in the UK is still only 1.85, so thats not too bad :D

Sending money back though will be worse I guess!!

Rushman Nov 28th 2006 7:51 pm

I've already said and its documented in BE ...someplace..that it'll hit 42 to the GBP by May next year. Ray, however, said I was a wanker for thinking that.

gsnichol Nov 28th 2006 7:54 pm

:( and I need to convert some $$ to Sterling too :eek:

moving2montreal Nov 28th 2006 7:55 pm

the american economy is tanking, in case none of you noticed. 2007 u will be in a recession.

Big D Nov 28th 2006 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by moving2montreal
the american economy is tanking, in case none of you noticed. 2007 u will be in a recession.

well rounded arguement, well done!

Dan725 Nov 28th 2006 8:07 pm

But the Dow is at record highs!

Bob Nov 28th 2006 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Big D

:D

moving2montreal Nov 28th 2006 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Big D

this was written in august.
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/busin...838081,00.html

moving2montreal Nov 28th 2006 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Dan725
But the Dow is at record highs!

the dow has been inflated by liquid injections into the market by the federal reserve. greenspan used this tactic a lot also. ferdanke is pretty much using the same rule book. also, stock prices are inflated by companies buying back their own stocks to jack up the prices. please note the high prices of an ounce of gold. investors buy gold in recessions, because the dollar loses value quickly. combines the housing slump, walmarts poor black friday numbers (largest retailer in the USA), negative personal savings rate and you get a poor economy.

BigDavyG Nov 28th 2006 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Rushman
I've already said and its documented in BE ...someplace..that it'll hit 42 to the GBP by May next year. Ray, however, said I was a wanker for thinking that.

42 ???
Jaysus - I'll never be able to afford to go back.

vegas Nov 28th 2006 9:04 pm

Biggest losers = chinese
Biggest winners = Americans

Rodney you plonker Nov 28th 2006 9:58 pm

the dow has been inflated by liquid injections into the market by the federal reserve. greenspan used this tactic a lot also. ferdanke is pretty much using the same rule book. also, stock prices are inflated by companies buying back their own stocks to jack up the prices. please note the high prices of an ounce of gold. investors buy gold in recessions, because the dollar loses value quickly. combines the housing slump, walmarts poor black friday numbers (largest retailer in the USA), negative personal savings rate and you get a poor economy.

Nail on the head with the gold. The price of gold is all you need to watch, when Wall street is on the up and up, that's where people invest. As soon as Wall street starts to look shaky, people invest in something with a lower profit but a guaranteed steady value just to ride the storm. i.e. gold.

Chandler Nov 29th 2006 3:30 am

But you will be in Montreal :scared:

I'll take my chances with the recession thanks.