British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Potential Package (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/potential-package-603167/)

The_Bax Apr 12th 2009 10:07 pm

Potential Package

As our reccy/interview trip looms closer I wonder if somebody would be kind enough to cast a few more pointers.
I am totally lost when it comes to what would be good/bad/indifferent in a job package. I am not going to ask how much money - that is too simple; I mean things like health care, dental, pension, whatever else may be in there. We have 2 young children (3&5) so cover extension to family members would presumably be good? Are there usually any exclusions for pre-existing conditions? If so, what is the deal?
I know - more naive questions and all that but if you don't ask...

Thanks,
Bax

penguinsix Apr 12th 2009 10:32 pm

Re: Potential Package

The Hong Kong wiki has some recommendations

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Before_You_Move

There is one in the Aussie WIKI but I can't find it. It's much more extensive on what to ask for.

The Horticulturalist Apr 12th 2009 11:02 pm

Hi Bax,

You'd need to have medical insurance that covers all of your family members. Ask them for details of the plan and the insurer, also will they cover the whole family as part of the job package, or will other family members be covered but for an additional monthly fee? It varies from one employer to the next.

Pre-existing conditions - depends on the condition, and the insurer whether they will cover it and what, if any, the additional cost will be.

If you can get dental cover that would be great,it may or may not be included with your overall plan.

Make sure that you get the employers to agree to pay for repatriation in the event that they deem you surplus to requirements.

Once you have more details on what you are being offered then I'm sure folks on here would be more than willing to advise you on whether you are being offered a good deal or not.

When do you come over, and where are you headed?

The_Bax Apr 12th 2009 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist (Post 7474411)
When do you come over, and where are you headed?

Flying on the 16th for 2 interviews. Ohio on the 23rd and Virginia on the 27th.
Got a 2000 mile round trip planned visiting friends and exploring both areas.

Rete Apr 13th 2009 12:37 am

Originally Posted by The_Bax (Post 7474448)
Flying on the 16th for 2 interviews. Ohio on the 23rd and Virginia on the 27th.
Got a 2000 mile round trip planned visiting friends and exploring both areas.

Just curious what visa you are using.

Bob Apr 13th 2009 12:45 am

There's quite a few threads, especially for people moving to NYC and Houston that might be worth searching out, but take with a pinch of salt because since the economy went shit, packages have dramatically gone down the pan as they don't need to offer great stuff to entice people these days, just medical insurance and most are good to go.

MsElui Apr 13th 2009 1:47 am

you want to think about

flights over for you and family at beginning and end of assignment
emergency flights home if required (ie family ill)
sea container shipping for your general goods
air freight shipping for the most urgent/essential items
white goods replacement
compensation for loss due to early repayment of car loan/home rental contracts
hotel on arrival (for a month?)
assistance in finding accomodation here/getting ssn/driving licence etc (ie relocation services)

salary wise
we get health insurance for the family (for which we have to contribute about $250 a month). That includes optional dental for us all and optional optical for my husband.
English pension is still paid
english NI is paid instead of american SS

The_Bax Apr 13th 2009 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 7474560)
Just curious what visa you are using.

Company transfer, so L1 seems likely.
As it is intended to be a permanent move I guess this will be followed by a GreenCard application of some sort.
Bax

The_Bax Apr 13th 2009 9:33 am

Originally Posted by MsElui (Post 7474661)
you want to think about

flights over for you and family at beginning and end of assignment
emergency flights home if required (ie family ill)
sea container shipping for your general goods
air freight shipping for the most urgent/essential items
white goods replacement
compensation for loss due to early repayment of car loan/home rental contracts
hotel on arrival (for a month?)
assistance in finding accomodation here/getting ssn/driving licence etc (ie relocation services)

salary wise
we get health insurance for the family (for which we have to contribute about $250 a month). That includes optional dental for us all and optional optical for my husband.
English pension is still paid
english NI is paid instead of american SS

Are you on a temporary assignment as you are maintaining your UK footprint?
As this move is plugged as permanent I can't see that bit being viable?
Thanks for that though - a comprehensive checklist to have in mind!
We may be wandering through the outer edges of Columbus next week - I will pm you with any daft detail questions.
Bax

Rete Apr 13th 2009 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by The_Bax (Post 7475321)
Company transfer, so L1 seems likely.
As it is intended to be a permanent move I guess this will be followed by a GreenCard application of some sort.
Bax

If it is a company transfer who do you have job interviews set up with?

The_Bax Apr 13th 2009 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 7475680)
If it is a company transfer who do you have job interviews set up with?

Panel interviews (teams I will/may be working with) and facility tours at two potential locations - one is a transfer to a subsidiary organisation the other is a transfer to my current sister team in the USofA.

lisa67 Apr 13th 2009 12:57 pm

make sure that it's in your contract that they will apply for your GC :)

emailrob Apr 13th 2009 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by lisa67 (Post 7475752)
make sure that it's in your contract that they will apply for your GC :)

Absolutely! And after how long - some companies have wait periods before they allow filing, often waived for internal.

Also, find out which L1 they would be transferring you on - they each have different lengths of which to get a green card (EB1 being the best, EB 3 being the worse). I don't know your job role or title, but EB1 makes a lot of difference as you can skip certain things in the green card process. With two young kids, long term security will be important to you!

http://www.immihelp.com/greencard/index.html

MsElui Apr 14th 2009 1:46 am

Originally Posted by The_Bax (Post 7475335)
Are you on a temporary assignment as you are maintaining your UK footprint?
As this move is plugged as permanent I can't see that bit being viable?
Thanks for that though - a comprehensive checklist to have in mind!
We may be wandering through the outer edges of Columbus next week - I will pm you with any daft detail questions.
Bax

We came as temp with a view to seeing how it went. We have now applied for green cards though as we are very happy here. However - if my husband lost his job tomorrow - we would HAVE to go home so those expenses would be needed. YOU cant guarantee that the job will remain (or company doesnt sell of a division to an NON us based entity or some other weird scenario that could make the visa invalid) until a green card come through so its temporary for you too at least until then (and green card looks like it will take about a year). Cover your Arse - JUST IN CASE.

The_Bax Apr 14th 2009 7:42 am

Originally Posted by MsElui (Post 7477640)
We came as temp with a view to seeing how it went. We have now applied for green cards though as we are very happy here. However - if my husband lost his job tomorrow - we would HAVE to go home so those expenses would be needed. YOU cant guarantee that the job will remain (or company doesnt sell of a division to an NON us based entity or some other weird scenario that could make the visa invalid) until a green card come through so its temporary for you too at least until then (and green card looks like it will take about a year). Cover your Arse - JUST IN CASE.

Firstly, glad to hear that you like it so much you are staying - it gives us a totally unjustifiable warm feeling about the whole thing.
Secondly, yes you are bang on right but I cannot foresee the company maintaining my UK NI & Pension on a 'permanent' transfer - I will be pushing for a repatriation clause though!
Thanks MsElui - it is appreciated!
Bax