Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Potential move from UK to New York or Phoenix

Potential move from UK to New York or Phoenix

Old Jan 9th 2019, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

andre55 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Potential move from UK to New York or Phoenix

I have now been offered an official contract which I have agreed to and signed (based in NYC) . Thanks everybody for the advice I can now start to plan a trip to see different areas with regards to a location to live
Old Jan 9th 2019, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andre55
I have now been offered an official contract which I have agreed to and signed (based in NYC) . Thanks everybody for the advice I can now start to plan a trip to see different areas with regards to a location to live
Wonderful news! Congratulations. Do you now know what visa they are applying for? Without question for us, the most stressful part of the process was the internal comings and goings and delays! The actual visa approval was far simpler then getting HR to talk to the business etc! So worth it in the end thou.
We are 18months to our lives in NJ and if you want any help or advise about the area please shout, there are some beautiful commuter towns around and some great schools. Good luck!
Old Jan 13th 2019, 8:25 am
Just Joined

andre55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Any advice on areas in new jersey would be great. I'm coming over in Feb to look around different areas. Ideally would be near train line stop into NYC. Have old town feel. For school my youngest would be in final year of high school next year. He is an athlete being part of the England development program in basketball so a school with a strong basketball program but also good academic wise to bring his grades up would be good.
Old Jan 13th 2019, 1:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Any advice on areas in new jersey would be great. I'm coming over in Feb to look around different areas. Ideally would be near train line stop into NYC. Have old town feel. For school my youngest would be in final year of high school next year. He is an athlete being part of the England development program in basketball so a school with a strong basketball program but also good academic wise to bring his grades up would be good.
We lived in Mendham...but if you are commuting to NYC...Milburn, Short Hills. Search for posts by Englishmum...she’s posted great info in the past.
Old Jan 14th 2019, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

As mentioned, Short Hills, Milburn, Summit, Chatham, Madison, Westfield are all lovely walkable commuter towns but they are expensive so will depend on both your budget and your expectations as to the size and style of the home you want. A lot of the homes in these areas are historical and smaller. Well worth a look thou as l would happily live in any of these towns. We live a little further out but people commute from here but they will drive to Jersey City or Newark for the ferry or path so still lots of other towns to consider if these ones mentioned aren’t a fit.
When we came over we based ourselves in Morristown (great town but not the strongest schools but great base) to look around and we got a good feel for the area within 4 days, obviously there is only so much you can do but we viewed houses, a school (we were lucky to do that), cars, towns, supermarket (food prizes are high here!) just to get a sense of things and the level of detail was really helpful to us.
Schools, there are a lot of great schools in these areas., if you look on realtor.com the house details will often include which school is assigned to this address. I can’t help with sports programs as l have an uncoordinated 7 yr old! But safe to say you will have plenty of good schools in these areas but do your own research as legally a realtor can’t comment on if a particular school is good or bad etc.

Old Jan 14th 2019, 12:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ecto17

As mentioned, Short Hills, Milburn, Summit, Chatham, Madison, Westfield are all lovely walkable commuter towns but they are expensive so will depend on both your budget and your expectations as to the size and style of the home you want. A lot of the homes in these areas are historical and smaller. Well worth a look thou as l would happily live in any of these towns. We live a little further out but people commute from here but they will drive to Jersey City or Newark for the ferry or path so still lots of other towns to consider if these ones mentioned aren’t a fit.
When we came over we based ourselves in Morristown (great town but not the strongest schools but great base) to look around and we got a good feel for the area within 4 days, obviously there is only so much you can do but we viewed houses, a school (we were lucky to do that), cars, towns, supermarket (food prizes are high here!) just to get a sense of things and the level of detail was really helpful to us.
Schools, there are a lot of great schools in these areas., if you look on realtor.com the house details will often include which school is assigned to this address. I can’t help with sports programs as l have an uncoordinated 7 yr old! But safe to say you will have plenty of good schools in these areas but do your own research as legally a realtor can’t comment on if a particular school is good or bad etc.

Morristown has some very good areas and some very bad areas IMO. The high school has a gang problem...but it has one of the best private schools in NJ.

For the OP...generally the higher the house prices...maybe more importantly is the higher the property taxes...the better the schools.
Old Jan 14th 2019, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Morristown has some very good areas and some very bad areas IMO. The high school has a gang problem...but it has one of the best private schools in NJ.

For the OP...generally the higher the house prices...maybe more importantly is the higher the property taxes...the better the schools.
we were steered away from Morristown for living but love going there for nights out. Never a bad rule of thumb house prices but you don’t necessarily need to be in one of the towns mentioned to get one of the best schools is all l am trying to say.
when we moved over we had about 4 towns that we were seriously looking at, all nice towns, good schools etc and we just went with the house we liked the most as there was very little available in Summit (my first choice) for the dates we needed the tenancy to start. So the advice we were given was find a couple of towns you like and see what is on the market at that time.
Old Jan 14th 2019, 3:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Ecto17

we were steered away from Morristown for living but love going there for nights out. Never a bad rule of thumb house prices but you don’t necessarily need to be in one of the towns mentioned to get one of the best schools is all l am trying to say.
when we moved over we had about 4 towns that we were seriously looking at, all nice towns, good schools etc and we just went with the house we liked the most as there was very little available in Summit (my first choice) for the dates we needed the tenancy to start. So the advice we were given was find a couple of towns you like and see what is on the market at that time.
Englishmum has posted extensively about schools in the Summit/Milburn area. I cannot comment about state schools as my daughter went to private school.