Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Potential move from UK to New York or Phoenix

Potential move from UK to New York or Phoenix

Old Dec 29th 2018, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

andre55 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Potential move from UK to New York or Phoenix

Thanks to everyone who has replied and given great advice. Just to give people an update. I have expressed New York as my preferred location. The hiring manager has agreed this is possible. I have been given a verbal offer (kind of, by which I mean I chased the HR person who said via instant massager that the manger agreed to a base salary of X but has not agree relocation expenses yet). This has been typical of what has been happening for the last 4 weeks which seems HR and the hiring manager have not been able to talk to each other. I have tried to arrange meetings between both parties and me for only 1 party to turn up (beside me) so only half the story gets agreed. When ever I pressed HR during that time they would just say they are waiting on the hiring manager, who sometimes answers my emails and sometimes not.

The entire process has unsettled me as HR seem to be unable to worth with my manager and seem to be clueless on how international relocations should work (I had them asking me what visa to apply for). There has also been a further complication now with them asking me to change role in the UK first before going to the US (same company different line of business). I had already sent an email to both the hiring manager and his director (I would be doing some work for him short term when I start) when this was raised to say I see no value to this given the time line suggested by HR is 3 months, during that time 1 month would be lost to my current LOB, I have 2 weeks holiday already booked in Feb and 2 long weekends and in March have 1 week booked off to look for places to live. Plus I have worked for this LOB in the UK before which means generally working 12 hour days to cover US time zone which I can not do and get my family / house ready to move while the visa is processed.

Neither of them replied to the email but his director phoned my out the blue while I was on Christmas PTO to say they have opened a UK position. I explained my objections, no contract, limited time during that 3 month period to actually work for them, getting ready for move, etc. He said I understand and let me look into those points. He then send a email an hour later ignoring everything and just giving me the UK job link and saying please apply as soon as possible as it will only be up a few days.

It has got to the point were in my gut I no longer want to work for them but I know international relocation opportunities are not easy to come by and timeline wise still need to move next year so may well take it still if they ever get a written offer out but may refuse to accept UK position in mean time (which I don't know how they will take this if I dig my heels in). I have also had a final interview for a position in SLC which I'm waiting to hear back on.

Sorry for long ramble but wanted to give proper update to people who had taken the time and effort to reply so far.
Old Dec 29th 2018, 9:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like you issues are mainly inter company and seems to read like this is a large Company that does not have systems in place that are familiar to this situation.

Is it common for them to move people internationally? Do you know people who have moved, can you speak with them? Just wondering if this is a Corporate thing or a one off situation.
Old Dec 29th 2018, 10:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I feel for you. It's stressful being in limbo.

So you've not had anything substantial, in writing, offering to transfer you, at all?
Do you even know if there's a place to slot you in available in the U.S.
Old Dec 29th 2018, 10:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andre55

(I had them asking me what visa to apply for). .

,,,,, the above sounds ominous. Does the job on offer qualify for a visa? Do YOU qualify for a visa (not meaning to be rude but both L1's and H-1B's have quite strict criteria)
Old Dec 29th 2018, 11:00 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Is the SLC position with your existing company? If not, you have a whole new visa to research.
Old Dec 29th 2018, 11:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Is the SLC position with your existing company? If not, you have a whole new visa to research.

I'm not sure where SLC, (Salt Lake City?), came into the mix...

Did you physically go there for an interview?
And this employer knows you'd need a visa?
Old Dec 30th 2018, 1:26 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Why are they asking you to take a different job before moving to the USA? Has the immigration lawyer recommended this? It could be that the new position will make the visa application viable/easier?
If you work for a multinational company that transfers employees to the USA on a regular basis, then maybe you could just ask if it will help with the transfer and chill a bit. In my experience, if a move is going to happen, it will. And if there are obstacles all the way, it probably won't.
Old Dec 30th 2018, 11:24 am
Just Joined

Your right they are a multi national and do this all the time. The reason I'm stressed is this is an odd request. I know 3 people who have done the move in the last 4 years none of them transferred internally first or where asked to.

I spoke to some senior VP I am friendly with and they all thought this was a very wierd request. Also the is is coming from the HR person who asked me about visas not immigration services with in our company.

add into the mix I have a instant message confirmation only that the Hiring manager is ok with my salary expectations and no official offer but they expected me to apply for an internal transfer before even offering me an official position in the US strikes me as unprofessional and requires huge amounts of trust on my side.
Old Dec 30th 2018, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

A question that is actually move related ) .

For coming over to look around neighbourhoods pre move we are considering how long in general (number of days) we need to allocate to this activity. Any recommendations?
Old Dec 30th 2018, 1:39 pm
Account Closed

It is all inter related, are they providing you with time off for your look around and covering your expenses. Seems currently a bit premature.
Old Dec 30th 2018, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

They generally provide a week pre start to move but most people take some pto prior to move in their current job to look round. Get an apartment sorted etc. Would not do anything until a written offer is made but given I'm not familar with any of the surrounding areas of NYC I was just wondering how much time I need to think about pto wise.

relocation expenses are being negotiated but no firm offer made
Old Dec 30th 2018, 2:50 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andre55
A question that is actually move related ) .

For coming over to look around neighbourhoods pre move we are considering how long in general (number of days) we need to allocate to this activity. Any recommendations?
That's a bit of a piece of string question. Will your package include the services of a relocation company? I think you were thinking in terms of NJ -- have you narrowed the choice down to a specific town you are interested in? Within that town, have you chosen a school district? (Don't forget, your street address governs the school your child will attend.) As you are unfamiliar with the area, it sounds as if you would be better off coming alone and basing yourself in an extended stay hotel until you find a house, and then bringing your wife and child when you've found a suitable place. It also sounds as if this move is far from cut and dried at this stage.
Old Dec 30th 2018, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Waste of time doing anything until you have an official confirmed offer of a contract in writing. Why can't you pin down management and HR on this?

What was the SLC thing?

'relocation expenses are being negotiated'

How are they being negotiated if there's not been an offer? This all seems strange/dodgy...

Last edited by Hotscot; Dec 30th 2018 at 3:11 pm.
Old Dec 30th 2018, 3:37 pm
Account Closed

I would look at it this way:

Job Offer with an appropriate salary and relocation package.

A viable visa route, which in this case there seems to be, many on here fail at this point.

Then recce, unless Company are paying as part of the offer.

If you want to use up your Holiday just seeing then no harm, depends on how much time and money you wish to commit.

Everybody will tell you visiting is not the same as living so do not get too tied down to one option when you may regret x months down the road.
Old Dec 30th 2018, 3:41 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Hotscot,
Nothing is happening until you get your offer letter. Nothing can happen until then.
In your email above, you wrote "no contract" as an objection to this new job offer in London. What on earth did you mean by that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.