Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Potential move from UK to New York or Phoenix

Potential move from UK to New York or Phoenix

Old Nov 23rd 2018, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potential move from UK to New York or Phoenix

A reasonable income for a professional family of four in NYC or close environs would be say $200k. Obviously lots of families get by on a lot less, but if you’re currently living a comfortable middle-class life in the UK, that’d be the ballpark to reproduce it in NYC. Your wife would be able to work too on her L2, but factor in taking around three months for her Employment Authorization Document to come through.

The WTC is very well served by multiple subway lines to much of NYC, the PATH train to New Jersey and ferry and express bus connections to Staten Island, so you have a lot of choice. Be aware that New Jersey Transit rail is in the wars at the moment: they actually had to temporarily reduce fares recently as they’ve only be able to run about 85% of timetabled services.
Old Nov 26th 2018, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

We moved last year to NJ and we really enjoy this part of the country. We love the seasons and location to NYC, the beaches and mountains. Last winter was amazing, skiing at the weekends and really appreciated the sunny (but v cold) winter days!
Neither of us commute very often to nyc, but our friends that do all tend to drive to Liberty State Park and get the ferry over to the financial district. The ones that work in midtown tend to take NJ transit, which as mentioned hasn’t been great recently.
NYC is also great flights to and from the UK which if for any reason your kids decide to stay or go back home for college, is a consideration, Arizona is that much further and l think 7hr time difference to the UK. This is important to some people, personally we have tried to keep visiting the uk to a minimum and get into life here but when l had to return last week for a family funeral, l was able to get back easily, quickly and about as affordably as you can last minute. I really appreciated this at a time when l just wanted to get back to family.
I have never been to Phoenix so sorry l can’t add anything useful.
l am biased, we didn’t choose here but honestly wouldn’t want to live anywhere else now but l would still have a good look at the packages and make sure they are reasonable for either area (people can give some advise on here if you need it). Go from there unless you have a serious preference or dislike of one or other location. You want to ensure that you have the budget to enjoy the new, exciting life experience for all of you.
Good luck.
Old Nov 26th 2018, 8:55 am
Just Joined

andre55 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm definitely leaning towards East Coast to be honest for the reasons you mention and others. I'll see what they offer and go from there as being able have a reasonable live style in either location is a big consideration as well with regards to adjusting to a new life. I had thought of finding a neighborhood that would work with taking the ferry to work as I like that idea. Do you know how reliable it is in winter when the bad weather rolls in?
Old Nov 26th 2018, 2:33 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming you have spent time in both places, I would pick based on what you know of the places. The question you're asking is a strange one as you must already have some preference. These places are on opposite ends of the spectrum of American cities. To me, Phoenix and NYC are so far apart in terms of geography, culture, demographics, climate, landscape, cost of living, recreational opportunities, educational opportunities etc, etc, etc that they may as well be in different countries.

One other point, someone above said that $200K would be a good household income for a family of 4 in NYC. It depends on your perspective, but I really don't think so. If you want to live in a reasonable town with good schools, own cars, have the various insurance coverage you need, be able to pay for college, save a few pennies here and there etc, I'd say you need significantly more. Honestly, maybe $350K+ as a minimum. This is my opinion and yours may differ, obviously. You can probably live like a king for $200K in Phoenix.

Last edited by Hiro11; Nov 26th 2018 at 2:35 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2018, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andre55 View Post
I'm definitely leaning towards East Coast to be honest for the reasons you mention and others. I'll see what they offer and go from there as being able have a reasonable live style in either location is a big consideration as well with regards to adjusting to a new life. I had thought of finding a neighborhood that would work with taking the ferry to work as I like that idea. Do you know how reliable it is in winter when the bad weather rolls in?
l will find out for you about the ferry!
Also 350k is a lovely salary but don’t get scared, 200k is doable in commuter areas to manhattan in lovely towns. No you won’t live like a king but you will be fine on that.
Old Nov 27th 2018, 2:57 am
BE Enthusiast

The ferry runs rain or shine apparently, the only time it wouldn’t, is if the river froze!!! Not sure that has ever happened!!
Old Nov 27th 2018, 10:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ecto17 View Post
The ferry runs rain or shine apparently, the only time it wouldn’t, is if the river froze!!! Not sure that has ever happened!!
I see you haven’t experienced a true NJ/NY winter! Yes the Hudson River does indeed freeze but the ice is usually broken up so the ferries can still operate.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Nov 27th 2018 at 10:40 am.
Old Nov 27th 2018, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
I see you haven’t experienced a true NJ/NY winter! Yes the Hudson River does indeed freeze but the ice is usually broken up so the ferries can still operate.
l wasn’t sure if he was joking or not!!! No just one winter under our belts at the moment but l now really want to see the Hudson frozen!
Old Nov 29th 2018, 2:55 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Are you considering US or UK universities? I would be worried about the UK residency rules for fees if you came over.
Old Nov 29th 2018, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

andre55 is an unknown quantity at this point

My children would want to go to US colleges / universities.
Old Nov 29th 2018, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I moved two years ago on the L1A, with two children, one of which was 16 at the time. Depending on their age at time of move, right now they would be in 11th Grade, with a year and a half to College. My daughter is now at College and is still on the L2 Visa, which created some confusion but has been generally fine. It does mean she cannot do any work, whereas once you switch to the F1 they can do some limited on campus work.

For the older one you do need to consider the transition at 21 - assuming you switch them to F1, what do you do once they finish College? On the F1, if you do nothing further, they'll be packing their bags and returning to the UK. You mentioned the Green Card - this might be an issue to raise with HR during negotiations - can they push that much quicker? It will take away the potential stress and risk. Having the GC doesn't preclude you all from returning in four or five years time, so no great impact for you other than giving everyone the right to work here. The employer may be worried because it opens the risk of you leaving them, but they can build in claw backs and it will take at least until 18 months over here before you'd be in that position given the time it takes.

I asked for about a 40% increase in package (granted moving from a mid sized town to a small town near a big City, and not NYC). That covered the impact of Healthcare costs, Car Insurance etc. I also got costs of travel/moving covered off. Those first few months will hit you - so many things to buy!!

Last edited by robtuck; Nov 29th 2018 at 5:58 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2018, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

One more thing - get working now on translating GCSE grades for your younger child. I think either location will have experience in doing this, so it should be ok, but the High School system is very different. I am guessing your older one will be transferring existing Uni credits?
Old Nov 29th 2018, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

One more :-)

On timing, we did the HR negotiation in May and moved in September - but it might be a little longer these days (only two years later!)
Old Dec 4th 2018, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

PootleK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by andre55 View Post
Take a look at the Paulus Hook area of Jersey City or Hoboken. Both have plenty of frequent ferries,plus the PATH train straight to WTC as an alternative if you want to save a bit of money (or in the rare event the Hudson really has frozen over!). They're both really safe neighborhoods as well.

Last edited by PootleK; Dec 4th 2018 at 5:17 am.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

So, obviously there’s a lot more going on in NYC area vs. Phoenix and it’s a place people want to be, hence the price difference.
having moved to NYC nearly 2 years ago I give it a big thumbs up as a place to be, overall.
but it is expensive, as others have mentioned.
Money no object, pick NYC, just my impression having come from the U.K. and I was always a west coast, western states kinda guy before.
NJ is a good option for trade off of more space for less money, but the tradeoff is commuting times.
However, assuming you’ll rent to start out, the nice thing is you can always move about and you won’t necessarily be totally car bound, which can be a real bonus.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.