Reload this Page >

Potential move from UK to New York or Phoenix

Potential move from UK to New York or Phoenix

Old Nov 23rd 2018, 11:40 am
Just Joined

andre55 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Potential move from UK to New York or Phoenix

Hi All,

I am likely to be transferred from UK position to a US office being either located in New York or Phoenix area (My choice on which). I would be on a L1 visa. They are putting a package together to offer but the hiring manager has said he will offer me a job it is just with HR to make the package offer. I would be moving with my wife and 2 children (16 + 19). I have been to the US several times in the last 5 years visiting Phoenix, New York, Chicago, Seattle and a few other major cities. My question is this really what things could / should I be looking at now as a pre-empt to the package offer? I'm leaning towards New York personally but would depend on package being offered financially. My main areas of concerns are:

Weather: None of us are sun lovers which I know is a big against PHX.
Wife: My wife is willing to relocate and give it a go but is not a huge fan of the US. What things would help her feel at home.
Kids: I'm not sure what year my youngest would transfer to high school wise (I'm assuming year 12 ?)

Any help on what areas I should be looking at would be greatly appreciated prior to a package offer as I know time will go quickly once a offer is made and 101 things will need to be done.
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 12:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potential move from UK to New York or Phoenix

I live in Phoenix. If you really can't stand the sun and the heat, Phoenix is not the place for you. Sunny 350 days a year and blazing hot for most of them. LOL

what will your 19 year old do when he ages out at 21? Return home? Get an F-1 to study in the USA? Actually, what will he/she be doing on the L2 visa?

The 16 year old would probably be a junior in high school, I would think.

Rene
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

I think a lot will depend on salary, if HR offers a single figure for both Phoenix and NYC then it’s going to go a lot further in Arizona. A lot further.

Climate-wise well yes Arizona is a lot sunnier over all, but NYC has both very hot summers and very cold, snowy winters. Spring and autumn in NYC are glorious though.

NYC is a huge, busy take-no-prisoners city, but really it’s little different from London in that respect. One of the things I like about it is that every other person here is a foreigner, and we Brits are a dime a dozen here, and that helps make me fit in. You very rarely get “oh I love your British accent” here in NYC, and whilst some ex-pats lap that stuff up, I really like that it doesn’t make me stand out.
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies.

I've stayed in PHX a few times and the temp ranged from 80 to 116 when I was there depending on time of year and it was uncomfortable for me personally (more May to Sept time related to that statement) but I would say that I know various people who work for my company who have moved there from other parts of the US and UK who quickly adapt. For my 19 year old she plans to go to college so the plan would be for her to go over on a L2 visa and then switch to a F1 to make sure age is not an issue while she finishes her course.

Totally understand Arizona would be much cheaper than New York living wise from my initial looking at living expenses and rent. Hard to say what they would offer as salary bands for both areas are so wide it could vary so much. What would be considered a living wage for both locations for a family of 4? My main concern over Arizona would be my wife who I think would struggle with the heat . Understand that New York would also have weather patterns which you have to get through so to speak but from our initial family conversations we all favour a more season based location. The office in New York in near the world trade centre so also looking at places which would be good to commute from if we landed on New York rather than PHX. If it's PHX I was thinking Scottsdale or Gilbert areas which are not far from the PHX office location.
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 1:44 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andre55
Thanks for the replies.

The office in New York in near the world trade centre so also looking at places which would be good to commute from if we landed on New York rather than PHX. If it's PHX I was thinking Scottsdale or Gilbert areas which are not far from the PHX office location.
For a downtown NYC office, you should consider commuting in from New Jersey. If you use the search function to look for posts by Englishmum, you will see that she has posted a lot of good information about life in the "Garden State."
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 1:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

So this is a short term move?
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

With regards to time frames, it's open ended. I'm not being sent over for a period of time. The company will generally sponsor Green Card applications if the candidate wishes on the first renewal of the visa. My basic plan is to move into rented accommodation for the first 6 months to a year while we settle. Post that we may buy rather than rent. We plan to stay for 5 years if all goes well and then decide after that if we have found a new country we call home so to speak for the foreseeable future.
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 2:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

So the oldest will be going home after she finishes college?
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 3:03 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
For a downtown NYC office, you should consider commuting in from New Jersey. If you use the search function to look for posts by Englishmum, you will see that she has posted a lot of good information about life in the "Garden State."

She and Jerseygirl are the resident experts on residing in NJ and working in Manhattan. Both ladies are knowledgeable about the towns, school systems, shopping, etc. in New Jersey.
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 3:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
So the oldest will be going home after she finishes college?
Not if she is smart and in a career after OPT that will generate a work visa.
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

True on the OPT front. I know a little bit about that point but not looked into it extensively. Trying not to go down the rabbit hole too much before HR come back to me but balancing that with once they do my understanding is that 3 to 4 months is a reasonable time frame to expect for L1 processing (if not using premium service) which I'm sure will be filled with sorting out lots of stuff.
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 7:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

So, if 19 year old is going to go to college (followed presumably by the 16 year old), the cost of college education needs to be taken into consideration when contemplating the move .........
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 7:53 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by andre55
True on the OPT front. I know a little bit about that point but not looked into it extensively. Trying not to go down the rabbit hole too much before HR come back to me but balancing that with once they do my understanding is that 3 to 4 months is a reasonable time frame to expect for L1 processing (if not using premium service) which I'm sure will be filled with sorting out lots of stuff.
Actually, you should be seriously charting and considering this. College/University is expensive in the US if your children are going to go to an institution that is not a community college. And if they do not qualify or if you cannot afford the cost are you willing for them to leave the US and return to the UK without you and their mother or would you return with them? You do know that they will not be allowed to work on the L visa, although your spouse will. These are things that a parent seriously should consider when having to make this decision.
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

We have thought and costed some college options. We already have a college fund for both Of them which would cover some of their preferred choices.
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 8:44 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Based on the children's ages, and the potential of them having to return home shortly, I personally would pass on this move. If you don't, you need to be careful and think it all through to avoid a visa mess.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.