Reload this Page >

Potential move from UK to New Jersey

Potential move from UK to New Jersey

Old May 5th 2018, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

gtkeeno is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Potential move from UK to New Jersey

Hi

Apologies if this has been asked before, I have searched the forum but I cannot get any results .. i must be doing something wrong i guess

I have the opportunity to move with my job from the UK to New Jersey. The job will be in the Hanover area. I am hoping to get over in a few weeks to check out the areas I have researched and have found to be "ideal for families" - Summit, Maplewood, Short hills, Glen ridge. My wife and 6 yr old daughter would make the move as well should we decide to pursue it. I'd like to know if anyone has any experience of moving from the UK to NJ and how they have found NJ so far ?

In particular I would be grateful if people can share their experience / knowledge of:
  • Best areas to live ?
  • Best schools in these areas ? is it easy enough to enrol ?
  • How easy it is to find rented accommodation ? - what paperwork is required ?
  • Has anyone moved to NJ and found there life to be better than it was in the UK ?
We don't have a bad life in the UK but part of me thinks there are other places out there that can give us a better life. The new job would more than double my current UK salary. the prospect of being 30 mins or so from NYC is appealing as well as being closer to Canada (a place we have always wanted to visit) and other US tourism hotspots. With this in mind would people agree/disagree that NJ//USA could offer us a potential better life ?

The guns issue is a concern but a US colleague tells me that in this area of US he would rate the chances of being shot as in the same bracket as being struck by lightning. Would anyone agree with this? Obviously everywhere has good and bad parts and my research so far indicates that there appears to be some very nice places in NJ to raise families. We want to live in an area with very low crime rates and enough going on to keep ourselves (daughter in particular) entertained.

Grateful for any other relevant information I may have missed on this post

Many Thanks
Old May 5th 2018, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

NYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potential move from UK to New Jersey

Originally Posted by gtkeeno
Hi

Apologies if this has been asked before, I have searched the forum but I cannot get any results .. i must be doing something wrong i guess

I have the opportunity to move with my job from the UK to New Jersey. The job will be in the Hanover area. I am hoping to get over in a few weeks to check out the areas I have researched and have found to be "ideal for families" - Summit, Maplewood, Short hills, Glen ridge. My wife and 6 yr old daughter would make the move as well should we decide to pursue it. I'd like to know if anyone has any experience of moving from the UK to NJ and how they have found NJ so far ?

In particular I would be grateful if people can share their experience / knowledge of:
  • Best areas to live ?
  • Best schools in these areas ? is it easy enough to enrol ?
  • How easy it is to find rented accommodation ? - what paperwork is required ?
  • Has anyone moved to NJ and found there life to be better than it was in the UK ?
We don't have a bad life in the UK but part of me thinks there are other places out there that can give us a better life. The new job would more than double my current UK salary. the prospect of being 30 mins or so from NYC is appealing as well as being closer to Canada (a place we have always wanted to visit) and other US tourism hotspots. With this in mind would people agree/disagree that NJ//USA could offer us a potential better life ?

The guns issue is a concern but a US colleague tells me that in this area of US he would rate the chances of being shot as in the same bracket as being struck by lightning. Would anyone agree with this? Obviously everywhere has good and bad parts and my research so far indicates that there appears to be some very nice places in NJ to raise families. We want to live in an area with very low crime rates and enough going on to keep ourselves (daughter in particular) entertained.

Grateful for any other relevant information I may have missed on this post

Many Thanks
Watch The Sopranos. No better way to understand New Jersey culture than that brilliant series. I don't mean the mafia part of it at all; the writer knows NJ thoroughly and presents its suburban culture in hilarious and accurate fashion.

This obsessive fear of guns, btw, is ridiculous.
Old May 5th 2018, 12:37 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

New Jersey is a popular state on the east coast for Brits who are moving to the US. Posts by Englishmum are particularly helpful and informative as she has made her wealth of information and experience living for decades in New Jersey available to all that need assistance. If you do an Advance Search for Englishmum, choosing the USA forum in the search guide you will find all of her posts.

Here is one for you that might be a good starting point. http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5...k-work-888463/
Old May 5th 2018, 4:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I don’t care for the Hanover area...although I used to shop on Rt. 10. We lived in Morris Plains when we first moved...then quickly moved to Mendham. Good schools...virtually no crime...but property and property taxes are very expensive.
Old May 5th 2018, 6:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is this temporary, work visa or GC?
Old May 5th 2018, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
Is this temporary, work visa or GC?
its a permanent role so it’d be a work visa
Old May 5th 2018, 7:03 pm
Account Closed

its a permanent role so it’d be a work visa
Work Visa's are temporary.

Permanent Residency is well usually Permanent.
Old May 5th 2018, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
Work Visa's are temporary.

Permanent Residency is well usually Permanent.
ok , so what is the point to your question? I asked for advice on certain things. Can you offer any help on the questions I asked ?
Old May 5th 2018, 10:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

ok , so what is the point to your question? I asked for advice on certain things. Can you offer any help on the questions I asked ?
We ask because a large percentage of new members with an opening post similar to yours have no chance of getting a visa. Sometimes those that are in the process of getting a visa hit problems and maybe those of us with experience can help. It would help if you can tell us what visa your company are applying for.
Old May 5th 2018, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

We ask because a large percentage of new members with an opening post similar to yours have no chance of getting a visa. Sometimes those that are in the process of getting a visa hit problems and maybe those of us with experience can help. It would help if you can tell us what visa your company are applying for.
Ok thanks for clarifying that. It would be a H1-b visa .
Old May 5th 2018, 10:30 pm
Account Closed

So you came up in the lottery this year or is this for next year or a non profit?
Old May 6th 2018, 2:38 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

An H1-B is obtained via a lottery for a new employer, you seemed to indicate in your first post that you were being transferred by your employer (“move with my job”)— is that not the case?
Old May 6th 2018, 9:07 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

And this is why we asked. As has been mentioned above, this makes no sense bearing in mind your OP.

its a permanent role
You'll be wanting to negotiate a guaranteed Green Card application sate as part of your relocation package then. Get it in writing.
Old May 6th 2018, 9:18 am
Just Joined

ok thanks for everyone replying. Apologies if i was not clear.

The job would be offered subject to me getting a h1-b visa which based on my research since this post is unlikely to happen (due to number of applicants and the current lottery system) even though I would be working for a reputable financial services company on a big salary. I will speak to the company in question to seek clarification.

Can my OP not be answered hypothetically ?

Thanks
Old May 6th 2018, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

Very briefly as you are potentially a long way off at this point but yes NJ is lovely and having moved here last summer we are really happy with our move.
It is a very expensive state generally so check that your possible salary is doable (this forum can help with that) but we love the quality of life we have here. Skiing, beaches and NYC is still all very exciting to us. We have a little one and we are thrilled with the school, and generally the schools here are really good. You are assigned a school based on your address so when we were looking, l only viewed houses in neighborhoods where l liked the schools and do be honest l hardly discounted any neighborhoods because mainly the schools are very good in this area.
A lovely opportunity if it happens l would say.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.