Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Potential move north of uk to new york

Potential move north of uk to new york

Old May 9th 2023, 3:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potential move north of uk to new york

Originally Posted by tht
I assume that all of that puts you on a similar amount to a local salary… and that shuts all grossed up to offset the extra tax you owe on it.

School fees I assume are to keep them on a UK curriculum at an international school, I had an employee in Boston and his kids went to the same school at TB’s children.
Yes, any additional payments are grossed up (most stuff is paid for directly by the company i.e. school is sending the bills to them). And yes, 16 year old son so he'll be at the British school, he couldn't just go to a local school without huge disruption to his education. No idea who TB is?
Old May 9th 2023, 4:12 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yes, any additional payments are grossed up (most stuff is paid for directly by the company i.e. school is sending the bills to them). And yes, 16 year old son so he'll be at the British school, he couldn't just go to a local school without huge disruption to his education. No idea who TB is?
Tom Brady - was QB at NE Pays.. they would see him at pickup sometimes.
Old May 9th 2023, 4:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
Tom Brady - was QB at NE Pays.. they would see him at pickup sometimes.
I was still none the wiser but I've just Googled.
Old May 9th 2023, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

Lem84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Potential move north of uk to new york

Originally Posted by destone
Brooklyn is hardly a suburb.
well call me an ignorant northerner ;-)
Old May 9th 2023, 6:54 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destone
Brooklyn is hardly a suburb.
I am guessing you never lived in Manhattan…

Originally Posted by Lem84
well call me an ignorant northerner ;-)
I described moving to Williamsburg (Brooklyn) as moving to the burbs… and called it Williamsburb…(mainly to annoy the hipsters) but now I live in the real burbs.. with a yard I have to mow and deck I have to stain and basketball hoop…
Old May 9th 2023, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

Lem84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tht
I am guessing you never lived in Manhattan…

I described moving to Williamsburg (Brooklyn) as moving to the burbs… and called it Williamsburb…(mainly to annoy the hipsters) but now I live in the real burbs.. with a yard I have to mow and deck I have to stain and basketball hoop…
with all that space comes all that responsibility ;-)
Old May 9th 2023, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
I am guessing you never lived in Manhattan
Don’t guess; ask. I did, before Covid hit.
Old Jun 15th 2023, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

DualMomma is an unknown quantity at this point

I may be a bit late to the party, here!

Maybe consider central NJ as a good location. There are some very nice small towns, with good school districts, that are easily commutable into NYC/Penn Station. Central NJ is a great place to live (I live here and raised two children in the Garden State!) My husband commuted into Wall St. for years. Easy commute.

Maplewood, Metuchen, Westfield, East Brunswick, Cranford, Edison are some places you could consider. All have a good mix of single family homes and garden apartments.

And, I'm originally from Yorkshire!
Old Aug 11th 2023, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

Babita is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there - Also late to the party but yes, in terms of commuting to work in NYC, knowing whether he'll be near Grand Central Terminal or Penn Station will help you narrow down a place to live in order to give him (and traveling to the city in general) an easier commute. Penn Station is generally better for Long Island and some of the New Jersey towns. Grand Central Station is generally better for towns in Westchester County and Connecticut. There are some really nice towns along the express train lines in Westchester that allow for commuters to walk to the station, which means no need to drive and park. Several of those towns have good schools as well.