Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Potential Move to North NJ from UK…lots to consider

Potential Move to North NJ from UK…lots to consider

Old Oct 1st 2017, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potential Move to North NJ from UK…lots to consider

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
The OP might want to check out the cost of any sports that their kid wants to do. For me, that was the biggest cost surprise. Stuff that cost next to nothing in France to do, here in the USA they all seem to be training future Olympians. I breathed a sigh of relief when my son started rowing and I only needed to budget $250 a month + rowing gear, littlest went from cheap horse-riding in France to $250 a month for 1 group lesson a week. No chance of any competitions which run to $1200 a day once you've added horse lease, groom fee, transportation for horse and rider and competition fees. Other child did martial arts which was a very cheap $100 a month.
This is very true, martial arts are $170 a month for 2 lessons a week. This took me by serious surprise. The school however does a number of clubs for far less and whilst we haven't joined yet the Y is meant to have far more affordable programs for kids that are very good. Also the Boy Scouts is free after an initial joining fee.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 6:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Then there is summer camp...
Old Oct 1st 2017, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That is the exact opposite of what you said in the post I quoted.

Maybe you meant something different from the way I read it.
Wandering around the supermarket posting probably didn't lead to my clearest post!
Just meant that l think they could spend less then $500 if they wished, we do easily but then l like the Newark outlet mall!
Old Oct 1st 2017, 6:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Then there is summer camp. .....
Little Miss P is booked on her first "stay away" camp, for three weeks next summer. .... I may be looking for an additional part time job.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 7:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Little Miss P is booked on her first "stay away" camp, for three weeks next summer. .... I may be looking for an additional part time job.
I didn't like the idea of sending my daughter away for most of the summer holidays. Fortunately her best friend's mum was European and felt the same way. They did an odd week or so at tennis day camp. Also when hubby travelled on biz...we went with him.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

fbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond repute

$4,000/month for rent seems doable to me for a 3 bed in Montclaiir, which along with Maplewood/South Orange is one of the towns Brooklynites flock to. An example of a home would be https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...3-75683#photo8 OR https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...2-50394#photo1 (I can't see the backyard for this one). I would hope you are able to find something similar in Maplewood/South Orange.
Obviously the higher the budget, the more options you have. There are various parts of Montclair that are quite walkable, especially if your wife really doesn't want to drive. I do recommend having at least one car though.

PS: I do not live in Montclair, just a town over.

Last edited by fbf2006; Oct 1st 2017 at 7:29 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

Telic is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,
Thank you for all your help.

Weighing everything up (and keeping a spreadsheet updated) Ive decided not to take the offer.
We'll stay in Blighty for now!

Perhaps another time
Thanks all
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

After all of that

Seriously though, thanks for updating us as so many people hit and run and we never hear what happens next. Best wishes.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by yellowroom
After all of that

Seriously though, thanks for updating us as so many people hit and run and we never hear what happens next. Best wishes.
I know it was rather a slog, but contrary to many who thought I was a nutter with images of golden paved streets...I guess I proved that wrong.
I'm disappointed but hey, next time...

Wouldn't hit n run, really appreciated all the help :-)

Thanks all
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 5:43 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I ran the numbers through that calculator and although I couldn't include your health insurance costs, the net salary was about $7k for a 2 weeks salary - $14K a month. With all your bills coming in at about $8k a month, that leaves a fair bit to live on.

eta actually not even to live on, just left over after bills are paid...
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 6:13 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I ran the numbers through that calculator and although I couldn't include your health insurance costs, the net salary was about $7k for a 2 weeks salary - $14K a month. With all your bills coming in at about $8k a month, that leaves a fair bit to live on.

Not sure the OP ever mentioned what visa the employer had in mind -- perhaps that was the deal breaker, not the numbers.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

Plus having to keep up my uk mortgage on the short term though....no chance
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Not sure the OP ever mentioned what visa the employer had in mind -- perhaps that was the deal breaker, not the numbers.
Nope o1 visa, mentioned in this new post
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 6:29 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Telic
Plus having to keep up my uk mortgage on the short term though....no chance
Many, many of us have had to think long and hard in the same situation. We opted to sell and were lucky enough to get a buyer in a few months. Others have rented out the UK house to cover costs.

It depends on what you think the long term goal is - to become a permanent resident or to move back in a few years. Not many jobs will offer sufficient salary to pay rent on a decent house in the USA and pay a mortgage on an empty house elsewhere.

Anyway, like the others have said, thanks for coming back and telling us. Good luck !
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

Take home wouldn't be 7 on 200, that's gross, it's 4.6 net, so 9k per month

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.