Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Potential move to Corpus Christi...

Potential move to Corpus Christi...

Old Dec 16th 2015, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

2601NP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Potential move to Corpus Christi...

Hi guys,

This is my first post on the site (so go easy on me!).
I am wondering if anyone has any experience or thoughts they could share on Corpus Christi in Texas?
I am currently considering an assignment to CC, for approx 2 years, and I am trying to find out as much info as I can. There would be myself and my fiancé (we are due to get married next year) across, both us are late 20's (can't bring myself to say nearly 30 yet!).
I am keen to understand what it is like to live there, lifestyle etc, to try and get a feel fort he place.

Any info any has to share would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 16th 2015, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

tigersteve is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Potential move to Corpus Christi...

I've got a friend, British woman married to an American over there for several years now.
If you pm an email address to me , I'll ask her if she'll help out, not sure if she's on this forum or not !
Old Dec 16th 2015, 3:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

If your fiance is from the UK (your posting does not say she is from the US) then you will need to get married before you go to the US if you want her to get a visa based on yours.

There is there is no "partnership" visa. Without marriage she would have to get her own visa.

Sorry, can't help with CC
Old Dec 16th 2015, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

Hi SanDiegogirl, yeah she is also form the UK.
Yeah, I am aware that we need to be married for her to get a visa to allow her to work. My company would assist with that. We just need to decide whether we get married in advance (essentially to smooth visa application), or stick to our planned wedding date.
Old Dec 16th 2015, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl View Post
If your fiance is from the UK (your posting does not say she is from the US) then you will need to get married before you go to the US if you want her to get a visa based on yours.

There is there is no "partnership" visa. Without marriage she would have to get her own visa.

Sorry, can't help with CC
Actually there is the B-2 annotated for a co-habiting partner, but OP's fiancée would not be able to work on that. Of course, if OP's "assignment" is under an H-1B, then she wouldn't be able to work on the derivative H-4 either.
Old Dec 16th 2015, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

As i understand it, I would get an L1 visa, then she could get an L2 then EAD(?) which would allow her to work. This would take circa 3 months to come though.
Old Dec 16th 2015, 4:33 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 2601NP View Post
As i understand it, I would get an L1 visa, then she could get an L2 then EAD(?) which would allow her to work. This would take circa 3 months to come though.
Looks like you have already done your homework.
Old Dec 16th 2015, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 2601NP View Post
Hi SanDiegogirl, yeah she is also form the UK.
Yeah, I am aware that we need to be married for her to get a visa to allow her to work. My company would assist with that. We just need to decide whether we get married in advance (essentially to smooth visa application), or stick to our planned wedding date.
I recommend you marry in advance, and then, if you like, have a "renewal of vows" ceremony or just a big party on your planned wedding date.
Old Dec 17th 2015, 2:19 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

I have family in Corpus Christi... I hope you like humidity!

CC is a military town and has a big port, too.
There are some nice beaches, South Padre Island is quite sought after and is a bit of a spring break destination. It will probably grow a fair bit in the next few years.
It's got a bit of a small town vibe to it. Couple of hours drive to San Antonio.

It's not to my taste but my family seem to like it down there. COL is cheap and everyone seems to enjoy collecting their big toys (trucks, boats etc).

Still... humidity!