British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Potential move to Corpus Christi... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/potential-move-corpus-christi-869269/)

2601NP Dec 16th 2015 1:28 pm

Potential move to Corpus Christi...

Hi guys,

This is my first post on the site (so go easy on me!).
I am wondering if anyone has any experience or thoughts they could share on Corpus Christi in Texas?
I am currently considering an assignment to CC, for approx 2 years, and I am trying to find out as much info as I can. There would be myself and my fiancé (we are due to get married next year) across, both us are late 20's (can't bring myself to say nearly 30 yet!).
I am keen to understand what it is like to live there, lifestyle etc, to try and get a feel fort he place.

Any info any has to share would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

tigersteve Dec 16th 2015 1:58 pm

Re: Potential move to Corpus Christi...

I've got a friend, British woman married to an American over there for several years now.
If you pm an email address to me , I'll ask her if she'll help out, not sure if she's on this forum or not !

SanDiegogirl Dec 16th 2015 3:45 pm

If your fiance is from the UK (your posting does not say she is from the US) then you will need to get married before you go to the US if you want her to get a visa based on yours.

There is there is no "partnership" visa. Without marriage she would have to get her own visa.

Sorry, can't help with CC

2601NP Dec 16th 2015 4:22 pm

Hi SanDiegogirl, yeah she is also form the UK.
Yeah, I am aware that we need to be married for her to get a visa to allow her to work. My company would assist with that. We just need to decide whether we get married in advance (essentially to smooth visa application), or stick to our planned wedding date.

rpjs Dec 16th 2015 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 11815394)
If your fiance is from the UK (your posting does not say she is from the US) then you will need to get married before you go to the US if you want her to get a visa based on yours.

There is there is no "partnership" visa. Without marriage she would have to get her own visa.

Sorry, can't help with CC

Actually there is the B-2 annotated for a co-habiting partner, but OP's fiancée would not be able to work on that. Of course, if OP's "assignment" is under an H-1B, then she wouldn't be able to work on the derivative H-4 either.

2601NP Dec 16th 2015 4:28 pm

As i understand it, I would get an L1 visa, then she could get an L2 then EAD(?) which would allow her to work. This would take circa 3 months to come though.

Pulaski Dec 16th 2015 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by 2601NP (Post 11815449)
As i understand it, I would get an L1 visa, then she could get an L2 then EAD(?) which would allow her to work. This would take circa 3 months to come though.

Looks like you have already done your homework. :)

Owen778 Dec 16th 2015 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by 2601NP (Post 11815438)
Hi SanDiegogirl, yeah she is also form the UK.
Yeah, I am aware that we need to be married for her to get a visa to allow her to work. My company would assist with that. We just need to decide whether we get married in advance (essentially to smooth visa application), or stick to our planned wedding date.

I recommend you marry in advance, and then, if you like, have a "renewal of vows" ceremony or just a big party on your planned wedding date.

username.exe Dec 17th 2015 2:19 am

I have family in Corpus Christi... I hope you like humidity!

CC is a military town and has a big port, too.
There are some nice beaches, South Padre Island is quite sought after and is a bit of a spring break destination. It will probably grow a fair bit in the next few years.
It's got a bit of a small town vibe to it. Couple of hours drive to San Antonio.

It's not to my taste but my family seem to like it down there. COL is cheap and everyone seems to enjoy collecting their big toys (trucks, boats etc).

Still... humidity! :lol: