Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Potential Car Seat Hassles and Delta

Potential Car Seat Hassles and Delta

Old Apr 3rd 2006, 4:02 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potential Car Seat Hassles and Delta

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
The alternative is a wiggling child not being properly restrained, especially on take-offs and landings. In the end its just more comfortable for them to be in their carseat as well.
Haven't you heard of duct tape ??
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Haven't you heard of duct tape ??
Apparently you've never taken a child on a long distance flight/journey - hell is a word that just doesn't compare.....
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 4:15 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently you've never taken a child on a long distance flight/journey - hell is a word that just doesn't compare.....
Hence the duct tape - just strap the child's head to the seat - afterall you are simply using the car seat to restrain them so duct tape would do the same job and it would fit into your handbag.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 4:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Hence the duct tape - just strap the child's head to the seat - afterall you are simply using the car seat to restrain them so duct tape would do the same job and it would fit into your handbag.

Old Apr 3rd 2006, 4:25 pm
Thinking about it

You confessed that the car seat is to restrain your child on the flight, so I don't see then problem.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

commoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud of

The alternative is a wiggling child not being properly restrained, especially on take-offs and landings. In the end its just more comfortable for them to be in their carseat as well.
I reread my initial message and understand the confusion. That's what I get for posting and paying attention to the baby at the same time! Sorry about that.

A while ago I purchased two plane tickets to the US, one for me and one for our daughter. She's going to be 9-months-old and will need to fly in a car seat.

Delta's website states all car seats used to transport children on Delta's aircraft must be FAA approved. There isn't an EU equivalent mentioned on their website.

I emailed Delta and told them I would be flying from England to the US and back, and they mentioned any car seat I wanted to use would be fine, as long as it was FAA approved. I guess the bit about not living in the US and therefore not owning an American car seat didn't stand out in the email.

I called Britax and the woman recommended the model Freeway. She couldn't tell me for sure if the car seat had a badge stating it was airline approved.

This morning I called Delta's London office, and was told the same thing over the phone. I asked the woman how foreigners, flying with babies, coped with not being able to use FAA approved seats. She had absolutely no idea and directed me to call the FAA.

The FAA's hotline wanted me to address my problem over an automated system and leave a name and telephone number so they could contact me. I doubt they would have called England.

So the kid and I drove to Gatwick airport two hours ago. The Delta woman printed off some car seat information regulations which state:

Now I have something in print that'll help me call UK car seat manufacturers with some solid information, instead of talking out of my ass.

AmerLisa hit the nail on the head. The baby will stay safer and will hopefully stay more comfortable and less cranky.

Other than the baby flying without a car seat, my fear is landing in Atlanta airport and not being able to use the car seat I have, because it isn't branded FAA.

And now I'm drinking a can of Stella that's almost bigger than my head. Life is sweet.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

commoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Just keep asking for supervisors until you get someone who knows what they're talking about.

Where is Sussex are you? My family was from there and I visited my grandparents there the whole time.
West Sussex, in Crawley. An hour from London and 40 minute train ride from Brighton.

Crawley isn't a bad place to live, but I like it's location more than anything else.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Celsius
Why do you think you need a car seat during the visit to the US. You say you'll not be driving or renting a car whilst here. If your 9 mth old ends up riding in a car, can't a relative/friend/neighbor in the US let you borrow a car seat for car journeys?

Is it for use during the flight? Don't airlines have booster seats for passengers as young as 9 mths?
Children have to be 40 lbs more heavier to use a booster seat. The baby is still too floppy, so she needs to be belted in.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 4:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I believe they told that FAA stuff as well, I don't think that ever came into question when we brought the carseat onto the plane. Meaning, no one ever checked that it was ok'd by the FAA. I wouldn't go to through the hassle of buying a seat here in the US - the Britax, for some odd reason have a wider base than the UK ones. Therefore I don't think they'd fit as easily in a airplane seat.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 10:33 pm
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a Graco baby seat and it has the very label on it (certified for use in aircraft).The label has no mention of the government/faa/or anything it has the telephone number of the manufacturer.
car seat

The same as that one except that one has grey seat belt clips. You can buy it if you want. Or, why not go down to mothercare and look at the display seats or even toysrus.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 11:53 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commoner
Hello all,

The kid (9-months-old in June) and I are flying from England to the US and back. I flirted with the idea of ordering an American car seat and having it shipped over to use, and some nice person pointed out the foreign car seat wouldn't be covered in the event of an accident in England.
It may be too late for you now, but have you considered asking for a bulkhead seat? On BA flights on the bulkhead there are two fold down tables to which they can attach either a bassinet or a recliner seat (both provided by BA).

Our 6 month old slept in the bassinet and the couple next to us had a toddler in the reclining seat.

On getting to the UK we were disgusted by the car seat that the car rental company gave us. We ended up buying one and leaving it at my parents for future use.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 1:41 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

No but I've been on flights where others have........and I have never felt so compelled to throw myself out of a moving plane.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Better read this before you book those Delta flights, if you haven't already.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060404/...e/delta_pilots

Old Apr 4th 2006, 6:46 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I believe they told that FAA stuff as well, I don't think that ever came into question when we brought the carseat onto the plane. Meaning, no one ever checked that it was ok'd by the FAA. I wouldn't go to through the hassle of buying a seat here in the US - the Britax, for some odd reason have a wider base than the UK ones. Therefore I don't think they'd fit as easily in a airplane seat.
We've used Britax Renaissance (UK) and Britax Wizard (US) on planes without any physical "fit" problems. Only thing I have had a slight problem with occasionally is getting my hand in the back to release the airline seat catch when trying to remove the seat, but if you've got small hands, it shouldn't be a problem.

We've had a problem with an airline (European Aviation) disallowing use, despite the seat being marked as FAA approved, but thats another story...........
Old Apr 4th 2006, 6:57 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commoner
I reread my initial message and understand the confusion. That's what I get for posting and paying attention to the baby at the same time! Sorry about that.

A while ago I purchased two plane tickets to the US, one for me and one for our daughter. She's going to be 9-months-old and will need to fly in a car seat.

Delta's website states all car seats used to transport children on Delta's aircraft must be FAA approved. There isn't an EU equivalent mentioned on their website.

I emailed Delta and told them I would be flying from England to the US and back, and they mentioned any car seat I wanted to use would be fine, as long as it was FAA approved. I guess the bit about not living in the US and therefore not owning an American car seat didn't stand out in the email.

I called Britax and the woman recommended the model Freeway. She couldn't tell me for sure if the car seat had a badge stating it was airline approved.

This morning I called Delta's London office, and was told the same thing over the phone. I asked the woman how foreigners, flying with babies, coped with not being able to use FAA approved seats. She had absolutely no idea and directed me to call the FAA.

The FAA's hotline wanted me to address my problem over an automated system and leave a name and telephone number so they could contact me. I doubt they would have called England.

So the kid and I drove to Gatwick airport two hours ago. The Delta woman printed off some car seat information regulations which state:

Now I have something in print that'll help me call UK car seat manufacturers with some solid information, instead of talking out of my ass.

AmerLisa hit the nail on the head. The baby will stay safer and will hopefully stay more comfortable and less cranky.

Other than the baby flying without a car seat, my fear is landing in Atlanta airport and not being able to use the car seat I have, because it isn't branded FAA.

And now I'm drinking a can of Stella that's almost bigger than my head. Life is sweet.

Another optin might be one of those Cat Carriers- though for a 9 month old, maybe a dog carrier (for small dogs) might be better. Then, just check the baby at the baggage counter, and pick it up at the other end. Saves all those worries about screaming/crying/tantrums/poop diapers/ etc. Much easier for the other passengers also.
Attached Thumbnails Potential Car Seat Hassles and Delta-carrier1.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.