British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Posting International Mail in a Post Box (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/posting-international-mail-post-box-932649/)

vivid291 May 11th 2020 11:58 pm

Posting International Mail in a Post Box

Hello all,

Hope everyone is keeping safe. Odd question to which I think I already know the answer but just want to double check: can I stick a letter going to the UK in a regular old post box or do I have to take it to the post office?
I've had a letter from my bank back home, just a standard sized letter, and they've sent me a prepaid international postage envelope in which to return the form they need me to sign. Usually I take international post to the post office as I pay for the postage there and then they send it off for me, but as this is prepaid postage and it's a regular commercial sized envelope, can I just stick it in my neighborhood post box?
Many thanks in advance!

Glasgow Girl May 12th 2020 1:47 am

Re: Posting International Mail in a Post Box

I have done the same thing several times for a bank as well using their pre paid international envelopes. They got there in the normal timeframe and I mailed them unstamped from my home mail box. If you are at all worried or it is a critical item then you can always put domestic stamps on the envelope up to the value required. The USPS accepts any domestic stamps for international mail so long as you have at least the correct value. The forever stamps are worth 55 cents each currently. USPS.com will calculate postage based upon weight if you want to check on the amount required. Wing the weight if you do not have a scale, just err on the higher side.

As a point of reference I mailed a coupe of 11 x 8 stamped letters back to the UK a coupe of weeks ago. They arrived exactly one week after I mailed from my home mail box, which given the current COVID-19 circumstances was excellent service.

RICH May 12th 2020 2:04 am

I have a Mailbox at the end of my drive, and for example ,I put my UK Passport renewal application in it and my new passport arrived within the designated time frame,
And I guessed the cost of postage

Pulaski May 12th 2020 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 12851640)
I have a Mailbox at the end of my drive, ....

:goodpost: This!

I have used that successully too - knowing that an international letter/ card costs $1.15 I have a supply at home and as-often-as-not mail international cards from the box at the end of my drive. :)

scrubbedexpat099 May 12th 2020 2:16 pm

I either go into the Post Office and give it to Amy, unless Bonnie is filling in, or put it in the Box outside.

Jerseygirl May 12th 2020 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12851827)
:goodpost: This!

I have used that successully too - knowing that an international letter/ card costs $1.15 I have a supply at home and as-often-as-not mail international cards from the box at the end of my drive. :)

I did the same when I lived US. Much better than having to go to the PO and buy one stamp each time.

Russet May 12th 2020 10:48 pm

I keep a supply of international forever stamps at home so that I don't need to go to the PO every time I have a card to post.

Jerseygirl May 12th 2020 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12851882)
I did the same when I lived US. Much better than having to go to the PO and buy one stamp each time.

also if I think it may be in the heavy side...I stick 2 stamps on.

vivid291 May 13th 2020 5:18 pm

Thank you so much! I popped it in my local postbox and included a return to sender so if there were any issues I'm sure it'd find its way back to me.

Jerseygirl May 13th 2020 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by vivid291 (Post 12852506)
Thank you so much! I popped it in my local postbox and included a return to sender so if there were any issues I'm sure it'd find its way back to me.

That brought back memories of a birthday card an aged aunt in the UK sent to me. All she put on the envelope was my name, zip code and USA. Unbelievably it found me. In Toronto where I now live someone posted something to me with the full, correct address, apart from getting one character wrong in the post code. For a couple of months it was sent all over the place before it finally reached me.