Reload this Page >

Posting gifts back to the UK

Posting gifts back to the UK

Old Jan 15th 2017, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Amy288 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Posting gifts back to the UK

Hi Guys,

Not sure if anyone could advise me. I picked up a couple of t-shirts at the mall which my 7 year old nephew would love i also promised to write to him while i was away so thought i'd pop them and maybe some sweets in with the letter.

My questions are am i allowed to send sweets by post? it wont be anything big maybe some twizzlers or something similar he cant get at home.

The two shirts were around $30 in total do i need to declare them for customs etc (sorry if that isn't correct i have never done this before)

And finally is the best option just to package them up and take them to the post office?

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 15th 2017, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Posting gifts back to the UK

Yes, and yes and yes. The post office will let you know what you need to do, if you haven't already been able to find the information on the USPS website.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you I had a look at the website but I was either looking in the wrong place or just getting confused, either is equally likely! I will pop in to the post office at some point during the week!
Old Jan 15th 2017, 8:27 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

It's a small form that you have to complete. Be aware that the UK can be extremely strict when it comes to VAT payable on gifts sent into the country - the limit on value is very low and they can (and will) make the recipient pay VAT in addition to a fee for the collection of the VAT. The current limit is, I believe, £34. It's best to make sure that the declared value of the package is less than that.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

It's only two small t-shirts so hopefully shouldn't have any issues, I will let my sister know just in case tho! If she does have to pay is it just the standard 20% still I can't see in anyone's estimation the value being over £30! So fingers crossed I should be fine.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 9:01 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amy288
It's only two small t-shirts so hopefully shouldn't have any issues, I will let my sister know just in case tho! If she does have to pay is it just the standard 20% still I can't see in anyone's estimation the value being over £30! So fingers crossed I should be fine.
I believe it's standard rate plus a fee of something like £8. I'm sure it'll be fine, but thought I'd mention it just in case!
Old Jan 15th 2017, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

So around £20 in total in they apply it then, that's fine if it happens will be with it as he is going to adore what I send. And it's only this once.

Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 15th 2017, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

My family & I make sure to mark "GIFT" loudly & clearly in the "description of contents" bit of the customs forms.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

I will make sure it's very prominent lol
Old Jan 15th 2017, 9:18 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
My family & I make sure to mark "GIFT" loudly & clearly in the "description of contents" bit of the customs forms.
It doesn't make any difference if the value is over the limit -- as I found to my sister's cost in December!
Old Jan 15th 2017, 10:04 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Our Tescos in the U.K. sold Twizzlers when I was there (and I only left last month so they probably still do).

This got me thinking if there is anything edible in the USA that can't be got in the UK? Even at shocking prices. 5 quid for a small box of Lucky Charms, anyone?

The allowance for customs is now £39, by the way, for items sent by post. It's significantly more if you take it back yourself when you travel home.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

My big thing when I was at home last year was Biscuits especially the red lobster ones I did take 5 boxes back with me! Blue voltage Mountain Dew which is probably going to slowly poison me to death and cheddar popcorn. I know there are some American shops dotted around that sell mostly everything else or even amazon but they are just so expensive. I know a can of Dr Pepper cherry in Notts American shop is close to £3 for one can
Old Jan 15th 2017, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
It doesn't make any difference if the value is over the limit -- as I found to my sister's cost in December!
No, but OP appears to be sending items which are under the limit.