Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Postal renewal of UK passport while "living abroad"

Postal renewal of UK passport while "living abroad"

Old Dec 15th 2010, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

jbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nice
Default Postal renewal of UK passport while "living abroad"

Hi,

I'm a UK citizen with an H1-B visa. I live and work in the US, but I also spend a lot of time in the UK. I need to renew my UK passport. The instructions state that applicants living outside the UK cannot currently apply by post from within the UK. However, this is going to be the cheapest and most convenient option for me. I have a UK address to which I can have the new passport sent and I will be available to sign. I had intended to apply from within the UK via the Post Office Check and Send.

Is it likely that the IPS will reject the application when they see the valid US visa, or am I likely to be OK applying by post from within the UK and supplying a UK address to have the renewed passport sent?

TIA.

James
Old Dec 15th 2010, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Postal renewal of UK passport while "living abroad"

There is absolutely no reason why you can't get your UK passport renewed in the UK while you are back over there.

As far as a passport application is concerned you aren't "living outside the UK" if you are actually physically present in the UK at the time when you renew the passport.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

jbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nice

Originally Posted by md95065 View Post
There is absolutely no reason why you can't get your UK passport renewed in the UK while you are back over there.

As far as a passport application is concerned you aren't "living outside the UK" if you are actually physically present in the UK at the time when you renew the passport.
Thanks for the reply. I understand that I can certainly renew the passport in person while in the UK. However, I would like to use the postal option if possible. I have read, in various places, that IPS do not currently accept online or postal applications from people residing outside the UK, and it is unclear to me whether they mean only those applicants applying from outside the UK or if they mean, as worded, those residing outside the UK. I am specifically interested in using the post office Check and Send from within the UK, as stated before. I don't want to have the application returned on the basis that they determine "I live abroad", but I would prefer to use the postal option if possible. I have a UK address (my girlfriend's address), but I have been living outside the UK for 10 years (NL then US). Thanks again for your help.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 4:30 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

i know of at least one person who applied for his renewal via his mothers UK address with no problems.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Great, thanks a lot
Old Dec 15th 2010, 5:14 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard that it's not legal to mail a passport across country borders, but if you will be in the UK when you mail it in and in the UK when they mail it back to you I can't see how they'd have a problem with it.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avanutria View Post
I've heard that it's not legal to mail a passport across country borders ...
While that might be true for some countries and / or postal services it is clearly not generally the case for UK passports since the British embassy in Washington processes passport applications for UK citizens living in about 50 different countries and recommends that passports be sent to them by "secure means such as registered post or a courier" ...
Old Dec 15th 2010, 8:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui View Post
i know of at least one person who applied for his renewal via his mothers UK address with no problems.
Don't you have to sign a legally binding declaration saying all the above is true?
Old Dec 15th 2010, 11:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui View Post
Aye, I did it, I sent my expired passport to my mother, even with special delivery to/from her, it was much cheaper.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 12:00 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Don't you have to sign a legally binding declaration saying all the above is true?
Not that you're resident of the UK, you're declaring you are who you say you are and the photo's you send are of you.