British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Postal renewal of UK passport while "living abroad" (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/postal-renewal-uk-passport-while-living-abroad-697071/)

jbrown Dec 15th 2010 3:39 pm

Postal renewal of UK passport while "living abroad"

Hi,

I'm a UK citizen with an H1-B visa. I live and work in the US, but I also spend a lot of time in the UK. I need to renew my UK passport. The instructions state that applicants living outside the UK cannot currently apply by post from within the UK. However, this is going to be the cheapest and most convenient option for me. I have a UK address to which I can have the new passport sent and I will be available to sign. I had intended to apply from within the UK via the Post Office Check and Send.

Is it likely that the IPS will reject the application when they see the valid US visa, or am I likely to be OK applying by post from within the UK and supplying a UK address to have the renewed passport sent?

TIA.

James

md95065 Dec 15th 2010 4:05 pm

Re: Postal renewal of UK passport while "living abroad"

There is absolutely no reason why you can't get your UK passport renewed in the UK while you are back over there.

As far as a passport application is concerned you aren't "living outside the UK" if you are actually physically present in the UK at the time when you renew the passport.

jbrown Dec 15th 2010 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 9042185)
There is absolutely no reason why you can't get your UK passport renewed in the UK while you are back over there.

As far as a passport application is concerned you aren't "living outside the UK" if you are actually physically present in the UK at the time when you renew the passport.

Thanks for the reply. I understand that I can certainly renew the passport in person while in the UK. However, I would like to use the postal option if possible. I have read, in various places, that IPS do not currently accept online or postal applications from people residing outside the UK, and it is unclear to me whether they mean only those applicants applying from outside the UK or if they mean, as worded, those residing outside the UK. I am specifically interested in using the post office Check and Send from within the UK, as stated before. I don't want to have the application returned on the basis that they determine "I live abroad", but I would prefer to use the postal option if possible. I have a UK address (my girlfriend's address), but I have been living outside the UK for 10 years (NL then US). Thanks again for your help. :)

MsElui Dec 15th 2010 4:30 pm

i know of at least one person who applied for his renewal via his mothers UK address with no problems.

jbrown Dec 15th 2010 4:33 pm

Great, thanks a lot :)

avanutria Dec 15th 2010 5:14 pm

I've heard that it's not legal to mail a passport across country borders, but if you will be in the UK when you mail it in and in the UK when they mail it back to you I can't see how they'd have a problem with it.

md95065 Dec 15th 2010 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by avanutria (Post 9042317)
I've heard that it's not legal to mail a passport across country borders ...

While that might be true for some countries and / or postal services it is clearly not generally the case for UK passports since the British embassy in Washington processes passport applications for UK citizens living in about 50 different countries and recommends that passports be sent to them by "secure means such as registered post or a courier" ...

Jerseygirl Dec 15th 2010 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by MsElui (Post 9042236)
i know of at least one person who applied for his renewal via his mothers UK address with no problems.

Don't you have to sign a legally binding declaration saying all the above is true?

Bob Dec 15th 2010 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by MsElui (Post 9042236)

Aye, I did it, I sent my expired passport to my mother, even with special delivery to/from her, it was much cheaper.

Bob Dec 16th 2010 12:00 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9042609)
Don't you have to sign a legally binding declaration saying all the above is true?

Not that you're resident of the UK, you're declaring you are who you say you are and the photo's you send are of you.