Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Post your K1/K3 misery here

Post your K1/K3 misery here

Old Jul 22nd 2002, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

cbernard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Post your K1/K3 misery here

Just felt like letting off some steam myself. Anyone else is invited to share....

I married my girlfrend last October. I met her some time before while working abroad, and there was no way we could have broken up. So, like two stupid idiot lovebirds, got married and figured we'd be together forever. Man, were we stupid not learning about the INS process first. Should have gone with the Fiancee visa. But a lawyer said "no problem! the K3 will solve everything!" I guess it was good the first few months, but it wasnt available in my wife's country until the backup began. The lawyer didn't know it wasnt available yet.

On top of that, we decided on our wedding date to be October 26th, 2001, just a month after Bin Laden (may he rot in Hell) ruined it for everyone.

i dont know if we'll ever hear anything about the K1 -- "pleae be informed that it takes between 815 and 825 days to process this type of request" -- reading that on the notice of receipt made my heart sink. I'm not sure what hit harder... The fact that it takes almost 3 years, or the fact that they were smart-ass enough to give a 10-day window almost 3 years from now.

Then my wife finds out that she has been a victim of identity theft for the last 5 years. That put a 2-month halt on sending in the K3 forms until that was all straightened out. She learned that a person she used to work with was working illegal in her country and stole her ID-- to get busted for dugs later on and was admitted into jail under my wife's name. Imagine if her police check was done during that time... ("Sorry, your wife can't come here, she's a prisoner.")

Got the K3 sent in on May 13. Got a receipt a few days later. Thought that would be a sign of good hope -- how quickly the receipt came in. It's been over 60 days. The automated system at the Chicago Service Center said it takes between 30 and 60 days. But press "0" an I can speak with a representative. Which takes me to a dead-end line that hangs up on me. Thanks.

I bought my first house last year for us. I've been living in it alone since August 2001. My wife is falling apart. She's not used to this. She's living alone in a studio apartment watching TV all day and night long. She's been recently diagnosed with migranes. She takes medicine to help her sleep. Just a couple days ago, she asked if i'd come to her funeral if she died out there. I hve to be the strong one here, but I can't even help her like a good husband should.

Thanks for reading. I need to tell someone who might understand.

-Court

Last edited by cbernard; Jul 22nd 2002 at 4:13 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2002, 11:20 am
Cp

Default Re: Post your K1/K3 misery here

Hello Court

I am so sorry to hear about all your heart breaks. I don't have any solution nor do I
really know the process you are going through. I am going the fiance route. We almost
married here in England but with the advice of this news group we decided the fiance
visa route was the best. My fiance was married but has been seperated for 4 years,
the judge just finally granted him his divorce. We have been together for 2 years.
Last summer he sold everything to come and stay with me in the U.S. We figured that
he could come and then get a job and all would be well until the
divorce...WRONG..little did we know about INS. He could not even look for a job being
he came in on the visa waver program. So that meant him coming back to England with
no job, no home, and us apart again 5000 miles away and nothing we could do about it.
He got back on track here in England and we decided that I would quit my job and come
and live with him here for 6 months because that is all they allow, but we would be
together. Well his divorce came through and less than a week later I had the fiance
papers in the mail. Now we are waiting on the second NOA. I leave mid August so again
we will have to be apart but I am hoping it is only for a couple of months. Like I
said I don't have a solution but I do know how much this process sucks. So go on and
vent it does help and someone is listening........

Sheila

cbernard <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Just felt like letting off some steam myself. Anyone else is invited to share....
    >
    >
    >
    > I married my girlfrend last October. I met her some time before while working
    > abroad, and there was no way we could have broken up. So, like two stupid idiot
    > lovebirds, got married and figured we'd be together forever. Man, were we stupid
    > not learning about the INS process first. Should have gone with the Fiancee visa.
    > But a lawyer said "no problem! the K3 will solve everything!" I guess it was good
    > the first few months, but it wasnt available in my wife's country until the backup
    > began. The lawyer didn't know it wasnt available yet.
    >
    > On top of that, we decided on our wedding date to be October 26th, 2001, just a
    > month after Bin Laden (may he rot in Hell) ruined it for everyone.
    >
    > i dont know if we'll ever hear anything about the K1 -- "pleae be informed that it
    > takes between 815 and 825 days to process this type of request" -- reading that on
    > the notice of receipt made my heart sink. I'm not sure what hit harder... The fact
    > that it takes almost 3 years, or the fact that they were smart-ass enough to give a
    > 10-day window almost 3 years from now.
    >
    > Then my wife finds out that she has been a victim of identity theft for the last 5
    > years. That put a 2-month halt on sending in the K3 forms until that was all
    > straightened out. She learned that a person she used to work with was working
    > illegal in her country and stole her ID-- to get busted for dugs later on and was
    > admitted into jail under my wife's name. Imagine if her police check was done
    > during that time... ("Sorry, your wife can't come here, she's a prisoner.")
    >
    > Got the K3 sent in on May 13. Got a receipt a few days later. Thought that would be
    > a sign of good hope -- how quickly the receipt came in. It's been over 60 days. The
    > automated system at the Chicago Service Center said it takes between 30 and 60
    > days. But press "0" an I can speak with a representative. Which takes me to a
    > dead-end line that hangs up on me. Thanks.
    >
    > I bought my first house last year for us. I've been living in it alone since August
    > 2001. My wife is falling apart. She's not used to this. She's living alone in a
    > studio apartment watching TV all day and night long. She's been recently diagnosed
    > with migranes. She takes medicine to help her sleep. Just a couple days ago, she
    > asked if i'd come to her funeral if she died out there. I hve to be the strong one
    > here, but I can't even help her like a good husband should.
    >
    > Thanks for reading. I need to tell someone who might understand.
    >
    > -Court
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Old Jul 22nd 2002, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks. youre doing the right thing going the fiancee route. There's a person helping us, who's not a lawyer, but seems to know more than the lawyers do (lawyers have given us 'by the book' advice, whereas this man helping us is giving advice more in tune with how the system really works). His latest piece of advice is to track down that lawyer who told us to get married and kick his butt. And I wish I could.

Well, anyways, good luck to you.
Old Jul 22nd 2002, 5:21 pm
Steve Hubbard

Our K-3 misery is just as bad...my wife and I were married in jan 2001 and I
submitted the I-130 in Mar of that year...in early Oct I had not received anything
from INS other than the 1st NOA (just a receipt is all that is) so I filed for this
new K-3 visa which was/is suppose to reunite the foreign spouse with the USC spouse
in a timely manner. My wife is in the Philippines and she had a nice house
(grandmothers whom we rented from) which I had fixed up nicely for her over the years
and furnished it with all the creature comforts available...there were nicer things
in that house than in my apartment here in the US...anyway grandmother told us in Jan
of 2002 that she was going to renovate both houses on the property and that my wife
was welcome to stay in the house...the renovations would begin in May...I was in the
PI for the month of Jan and we submitted all of our paperwork to St Lukes Medical
Center who then forwards it on to the Embassy...in March my wife received a letter
placing us under administrative review and was asked for additional evidence...we
hired an attorney to help with the legal matter involved and submitted the evidence
approx 6 weeks later...I have had my Congresswoman's office send numerous letters and
faxes to the US Embassy in Manila as have I but to no avail...I've called a dozen
times and its a joke...simply falls on deaf ears and almost seems that they do not
care...before leaving Manila in Feb I sold off most of our possessions in the house
as I did not want my wife to try to sell them while I was gone and not there to help
her as she is deaf...I figured she would be joining me in the US soon so why not get
rid of the stuff...she wasn't put out of her house but all the "hangers on" showed up
when the grandmother arrived and basically took over my wife's house (we still had a
lease agreement) so she has left and is living in poverty really despite the
allowance I send her...an awful situation for anyone to be subjected to...if I had to
do it all over again I would not recommend this K-3 with the I-130...go the K-1 route
and after getting married here go back to your wife's country and have a ceremony
there...this process is awfull to try and deal with!...I was just made aware
(unsubstantiated by me thus far) that all non immigrant visas have been suspended so
processing is at a stand still right now...I love my country but fear the hell out of
my government!

Old Jul 22nd 2002, 6:20 pm
Jenine Scott

news:<[email protected]>...
    > Just felt like letting off some steam myself. Anyone else is invited to share....
    >
    > Dear Court,
When I read your email this morning, I really felt bad for you. It is hard on
everyone. I wouldn't believe that 825 day notice first of all, 2nd, I would file a K3
with my 1st I130 Noa, 3rd, Become active in your community and encourage others to do
so, why not get involved in a refugee adjustment volunteer program to see the
struggles that other immigrants go through. Encourage your spouse to work with low
income people in her country, then maybe she will see how fortunate she is. Also look
for the humor in things. There was a short comedy skit this past weekend on MAD tv on
a "Drama Queens 101" class. The lesson how to make everything about you. So my reply
to your email if I was a drama queen would be the following (please note, that I am
entertaining you) : You think that your case is bad, I have been a way from my
husband for over a year and we keep getting a bad connection everytime we talk to
each other, I can't bear eating another Red Lobster dinner alone. Well, maybe not
that funny,bordering on corny but MAD TV really got it on the mark.

Take Care, Senora Sanchez, keep writing and I will respond.
    >
    > I married my girlfrend last October. I met her some time before while working
    > abroad, and there was no way we could have broken up. So, like two stupid idiot
    > lovebirds, got married and figured we'd be together forever. Man, were we stupid
    > not learning about the INS process first. Should have gone with the Fiancee visa.
    > But a lawyer said "no problem! the K3 will solve everything!" I guess it was good
    > the first few months, but it wasnt available in my wife's country until the backup
    > began. The lawyer didn't know it wasnt available yet.
    >
    > On top of that, we decided on our wedding date to be October 26th, 2001, just a
    > month after Bin Laden (may he rot in Hell) ruined it for everyone.
    >
    > i dont know if we'll ever hear anything about the K1 -- "pleae be informed that it
    > takes between 815 and 825 days to process this type of request" -- reading that on
    > the notice of receipt made my heart sink. I'm not sure what hit harder... The fact
    > that it takes almost 3 years, or the fact that they were smart-ass enough to give a
    > 10-day window almost 3 years from now.
    >
    > Then my wife finds out that she has been a victim of identity theft for the last 5
    > years. That put a 2-month halt on sending in the K3 forms until that was all
    > straightened out. She learned that a person she used to work with was working
    > illegal in her country and stole her ID-- to get busted for dugs later on and was
    > admitted into jail under my wife's name. Imagine if her police check was done
    > during that time... ("Sorry, your wife can't come here, she's a prisoner.")
    >
    > Got the K3 sent in on May 13. Got a receipt a few days later. Thought that would be
    > a sign of good hope -- how quickly the receipt came in. It's been over 60 days. The
    > automated system at the Chicago Service Center said it takes between 30 and 60
    > days. But press "0" an I can speak with a representative. Which takes me to a
    > dead-end line that hangs up on me. Thanks.
    >
    > I bought my first house last year for us. I've been living in it alone since August
    > 2001. My wife is falling apart. She's not used to this. She's living alone in a
    > studio apartment watching TV all day and night long. She's been recently diagnosed
    > with migranes. She takes medicine to help her sleep. Just a couple days ago, she
    > asked if i'd come to her funeral if she died out there. I hve to be the strong one
    > here, but I can't even help her like a good husband should.
    >
    > Thanks for reading. I need to tell someone who might understand.
    >
    > -Court
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Old Jul 22nd 2002, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Jenine Scott
news:<[email protected]>...
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkgreen>> Just felt like letting off some steam myself. Anyone else is invited to share....</font></i>
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkgreen>></font></i>
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkgreen>> Dear Court,</font></i>
When I read your email this morning, I really felt bad for you. It is hard on
everyone. I wouldn't believe that 825 day notice first of all, 2nd, I would file a K3
with my 1st I130 Noa, 3rd, Become active in your community and encourage others to do
so, why not get involved in a refugee adjustment volunteer program to see the
struggles that other immigrants go through. Encourage your spouse to work with low
income people in her country, then maybe she will see how fortunate she is. Also look
for the humor in things. There was a short comedy skit this past weekend on MAD tv on
a "Drama Queens 101" class. The lesson how to make everything about you. So my reply
to your email if I was a drama queen would be the following (please note, that I am
entertaining you) : You think that your case is bad, I have been a way from my
husband for over a year and we keep getting a bad connection everytime we talk to
each other, I can't bear eating another Red Lobster dinner alone. Well, maybe not
that funny,bordering on corny but MAD TV really got it on the mark.

very true, it could be worse, but i'm not comparing myself to others. i started this thread for people just to let it out. we've been apart for longer than when we got married...she was my girlfrieind for a year before that and i have been back in the states for about 1.5 years.

i have looked into some type of movement to get things sped up but a) it seems hopeless with the weekly reorganization of the INS, and b) i've decided to devote all my time to my job, so i just work, sleep, work, sleep with no free time in between. it helps the days to go by more quickly. i know people have it worse off than my wife and I, but to respond to your 3rd recommendation, my wife was seriously low-income before I met her. She had abvsolutely nothing, and shared a guest house room with a few others. She has such a good heart tho, richer than most people and that's why i married her (sorry for the sappy wording). True, there are others who are even worse off, but they live pretty close to her in refugee camps. Unfortunately, it's better for her to stay away from those than anything else because of the rampant drugs, kidnapping, murder, forced prostitution, disease (not kidding, all of these are at epidemic proportions near her town), and...generally the fact that she needs to stay low until she gets her visa.

on the 825-day notice... yes i believe, at least hope, that that's not true. but i don't know how long my wife can hold on. it's not about me, it's about my wife.

on the K3 filing on the I130, i had to wait a couple months before I could file the I129 because of that identity theft situation. I had to make sure she was ok with the police before submitting the forms.

but yes, those dinners out alone really suck, don't they.
Old Jul 22nd 2002, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

...I was just made aware
(unsubstantiated by me thus far) that all non immigrant visas have been suspended so
processing is at a stand still right now...I love my country but fear the hell out of
my government!
ditto.

Any chance you could elaborate on where you heard about the suspension of non-immigrant visas?
Old Jul 23rd 2002, 1:20 am

Why did your fiance think he could come to the US on a tourist visa waiver and get a
job without any immigration problems?? An Ameican can't do it in the UK.

Old Jul 23rd 2002, 1:20 am

Steve,

I understand your frustrations with K3, but why do you think a K1 would have been
smoother? I don't see anything in your post that would indicate the K1 process (as a
fiance) would have been any better. You deal with the same people and admin issues,
and whatever legal problem there was would still be a barrier to the K1.

Old Jul 23rd 2002, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by [email protected]
Steve,

I understand your frustrations with K3, but why do you think a K1 would have been
smoother? I don't see anything in your post that would indicate the K1 process (as a
fiance) would have been any better. You deal with the same people and admin issues,
and whatever legal problem there was would still be a barrier to the K1.

there's a guy that's helping us, who does translations and visa form filings for a living, and swears by the fiancee route. he said he has sent 4 people off on fiancee visas that filed after my wife and I started the K3
Old Jul 23rd 2002, 8:20 pm
Mrtravel

cbernard wrote:
    >
    > [email protected] wrote:
    > > Steve, I understand your frustrations with K3, but why do you think a K1 would
    > > have been smoother? I don't see anything in your post that would indicate the
    > > K1 process (as a fiance) would have been any better. You deal with the same
    > > people and admin issues, and whatever legal problem there was would still be a
    > > barrier to the K1.
    >
    > there's a guy that's helping us, who does translations and visa form filings for a
    > living, and swears by the fiancee route. he said he has sent 4 people off on
    > fiancee visas that filed after my wife and I started the K3

Did these 4 people have the same "legal problem" you mentioned? Your case appears to
be not a run of the mill one. There would normally be nothing that would delay a K-3
that wouldn't also delay a K-1.

Old Jul 23rd 2002, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

it's just a case of getting some bad advice and getting worried about my wife's well-being.
Old Jul 24th 2002, 4:20 pm

cbernard wrote:
    >
    > it's just a case of getting some bad advice and getting worried about my wife's
    > well-being.
    >
    > --

I am still confused. Was there some other legal problem or just slow processing is
what you consider the "legal probelem"?

Old Jul 24th 2002, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

i didnt mention any legal problem. i just started this thread out of frustration.