British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Possible ping-pong... with pregnant wife! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/possible-ping-pong-pregnant-wife-799015/)

Rusty Chainsaw Jun 4th 2013 12:35 am

Possible ping-pong... with pregnant wife!

So, we've been back in the UK for a year and so far so good. However, my previous employer back in the US has come to me with an offer that's almost too good to refuse - my old salary + 50%, and covering the cost of moving us back! That's a pretty good deal, and we'll end up with way more money than I'm earning here in the UK. Plus, being back in the UK is good, but not quite living up to expectations. So I'm very receptive to the idea.

However... my wife is 5 months pregnant with our second child.

I'll get insurance through work if and when we get over, but will her pregnancy be covered? I know about HIPAA, and that the NHS counts as previous creditable coverage for insurance purposes, but does this still apply in our situation?

Bob Jun 4th 2013 12:43 am

Re: Possible ping-pong... with pregnant wife!

Originally Posted by Rusty Chainsaw (Post 10739523)

I'll get insurance through work if and when we get over, but will her pregnancy be covered? I know about HIPAA, and that the NHS counts as previous creditable coverage for insurance purposes, but does this still apply in our situation?

Yes, via the works group policy, if they offer it for new hires on day one for employee and family, but if they don't then you run into problems, so ask them.

Good luck and congrats btw!

Lion in Winter Jun 4th 2013 12:46 am

Originally Posted by Rusty Chainsaw (Post 10739523)
So, we've been back in the UK for a year and so far so good. However, my previous employer back in the US has come to me with an offer that's almost too good to refuse - my old salary + 50%, and covering the cost of moving us back! That's a pretty good deal, and we'll end up with way more money than I'm earning here in the UK. Plus, being back in the UK is good, but not quite living up to expectations. So I'm very receptive to the idea.

However... my wife is 5 months pregnant with our second child.

Will you be able to make the move back before she's too close to delivery to fly? Just a thought to keep in mind for your negotiations with your employer, etc.

Rusty Chainsaw Jun 4th 2013 12:48 am

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 10739532)
Will you be able to make the move back before she's too close to delivery to fly? Just a thought to keep in mind for your negotiations with your employer, etc.

Yep, she's good to fly until mid-August - if this is going to happen, it'll happen before the end of July, which, usefully, is when our tenancy ends on the house we're renting in the UK. So we might even get our deposit back. :D

Lion in Winter Jun 4th 2013 12:55 am

Originally Posted by Rusty Chainsaw (Post 10739533)
Yep, she's good to fly until mid-August - if this is going to happen, it'll happen before the end of July, which, usefully, is when our tenancy ends on the house we're renting in the UK. So we might even get our deposit back. :D

Excellent, you can spend the deposit on baby stuff and you won't notice the sleep deprivation as much since you will be jet lagged anyway. Win win.

scrubbedexpat099 Jun 4th 2013 1:19 am

Wife is American?

How will it happen so quickly?

Michael Jun 4th 2013 1:26 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 10739562)
Wife is American?

How will it happen so quickly?

I wondered the same but the wife being American doesn't help. Do you have green cards? It likely can't be a L1 transfer since you would have to have worked for the company overseas for one of the past three years. No more H1-B visas available and if they were, you couldn't start until October.

Rusty Chainsaw Jun 4th 2013 8:43 am

I'm a dual UK/US citizen, I've already got the blue passport so no issues with going over to work - we can just go.

Michael Jun 4th 2013 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Rusty Chainsaw (Post 10739979)
I'm a dual UK/US citizen, I've already got the blue passport so no issues with going over to work - we can just go.

What is her status for the US?

Rusty Chainsaw Jun 4th 2013 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 10739999)
What is her status for the US?

She's American. So no issues there. :)

Michael Jun 4th 2013 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Rusty Chainsaw (Post 10740001)
She's American. So no issues there. :)

OK, that clears everything up.