Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Possible move to Virginia

Possible move to Virginia

Old Apr 4th 2019, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible move to Virginia

Originally Posted by Georgette
They are wanting a few people to travel out there in the next few weeks to start getting the new employee's trained up so we are going to use that as an opporunity for him to explore a bit.

They've already applied for a visa to do this?

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united...siness-visitor
Old Apr 4th 2019, 3:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
I can only seem to find them about $2+
Oh, you're right …. we'll have to cut back.
Old Apr 4th 2019, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Georgette is an unknown quantity at this point

Honestly i have no idea, i dint ask many questions about that i'm more focused on him pushing them for an official meeting to get things started for us
Old Apr 4th 2019, 3:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Delivering training is OK (specifically acceptable) on the VWP, as are a number of other business-related activities, including the broad and nebulous "attend meetings".
Old Apr 4th 2019, 3:55 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Georgette
They are wanting a few people to travel out there in the next few weeks to start getting the new employee's trained up so we are going to use that as an opporunity for him to explore a bit.
Volunteering sounds like a good idea, wouldn't need a green card i suppose? and it would give some purpose to me. Thank you its making me feel like we should definitely go
No, not a green card but an EAD (employment authorization document). Most volunteer work can be done and is done by people who are paid to do that work. In order to do that volunteer work, you need an EAD even if you are not being paid. Just because you would qualify for an EAD doesn't count. You need to have it physically.

Robtuck's wife should think about that with her doing volunteer work.
Old Apr 4th 2019, 3:59 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

From my own experience of visiting for business, and assuming the trip is less than 90 days, and they eligible for VWP, you just have to specify your reason for the business trip at the inspection by CBP and they will mark it as WB (WT is tourist) and you can engage in the same activities as you would on a B1 Visa:
https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/fi...activities.pdf

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united...waiver-program

Of course he should make himself familiar with what’s allowed while on the visit.
Old Apr 4th 2019, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Rete
... Most volunteer work can be done and is done by people who are paid to do that work. …..
Which is a convoluted way of saying that you can volunteer at charitable organizations such as animal shelters, soup kitchens, or similar charitable organizations, but you cannot do work for which others are routinely paid. So in your case, for example, "volunteering" at a daycare would not be permissible, because that is a commercial business that pays people who look after the children. And needless to say, you cannot be paid at all, not even "in kind".

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 4th 2019 at 5:21 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2019, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

The volunteer work is pure volunteering, nobody gets paid anywhere for it. She is well aware she cannot do work normally paid for even if someone claims it to be volunteering, unless she has the EAD in hand. My daughter is in this situation with the College trying to get her to support other students with tuition. It's not paid, but other people DO get paid, so she is having to refuse because she is on an L2 as a dependent. She is also not allowed to babysit, we know the rules and we behave :-) edit: and we did keep our company lawyers appraised of the situation.

Last edited by robtuck; Apr 4th 2019 at 4:07 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2019, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and if you are even half thinking about it, I'd just go ahead and get the EAD, even if you have no plans right now but it is in the back of your mind. My wife was clear she did not want to work for at least 2-3 years.
Old Apr 4th 2019, 4:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Delivering training is OK (specifically acceptable) on the VWP, as are a number of other business-related activities, including the broad and nebulous "attend meetings".
Good to know.
I probably did that years ago and forgot.
Old Apr 4th 2019, 5:07 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Which is a convoluted way of saying that you can volunteer at an animal shelter, soup kitchen, or similar charitable organization, but you cannot do work for which others are routinely paid. So in your case, for example, "volunteering" at a daycare would not be permissible, because that is a commercial business that pays people who look after the children. And needless to say, you cannot be paid at all, not even "in kind".
Actually some city and county animal shelters do pay people to work there to feed, walk, clean kennels, etc.
Old Apr 4th 2019, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Rete
Actually some city and county animal shelters do pay people to work there to feed, walk, clean kennels, etc.
Correct, and those are businesses/ government operations, as distinct from the charitable organizations as I was careful to be specific about (above post #112) ".... you can volunteer at an animal shelter, soup kitchen, or similar charitable organization ….".

ETA: I intended to include "animal shelter" as a charitable organization, but I can see a way of reading what I wrote as contrasting animal shelters with charitable organizations.

ETA2: Post #112 is now fixed.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 4th 2019 at 5:22 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2019, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Here you might want to try this website for living costs in Wash D.C.: <a href="https://www.movoto.com/guide/dc/hington-dc-washington-dc-suburbs-affordable-">https://www.movoto.com/guide/dc/hington-dc-washington-dc-suburbs-affordable-</a><br /><br />This website may give you an idea salary levels in the DC area;<a href="https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_47900.htm">https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_47900.htm</a>

Last edited by jeepster; Apr 5th 2019 at 3:07 am.
Old Apr 5th 2019, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

Georgette is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jeepster
Here you might want to try this website for living costs in Wash D.C.: <a href="https://www.movoto.com/guide/dc/hington-dc-washington-dc-suburbs-affordable-">https://www.movoto.com/guide/dc/hington-dc-washington-dc-suburbs-affordable-</a><br /><br />This website may give you an idea salary levels in the DC area;<a href="https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_47900.htm">https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_47900.htm</a>
I cant get on the site as i live in Europe?
Old Apr 5th 2019, 1:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

VPN?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.