Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Possible move to Virginia

Possible move to Virginia

Old Apr 3rd 2019, 7:13 pm
  #61  
tht
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 813
tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible move to Virginia

Originally Posted by Hotscot View Post
Did I get asked that
Can't remember...
How would they know?


If you completed a DS-160 to get a Non Immigrant Visa after your I-129 was approved you would have been asked all the security and background questions see page 19 onwards :
https://travel.state.gov/content/dam...60_Example.pdf
tht is offline  
Old Apr 4th 2019, 12:19 am
  #62  
 
Sugarmooma's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 17,563
Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible move to Virginia

Originally Posted by Nutmegger View Post
The CP was there when I was doing my visa, many many moons ago!
Me too. Along with the creepy doctor doing the physical..
Sugarmooma is offline  
Old Apr 4th 2019, 1:10 am
  #63  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Boiler's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 30,365
Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible move to Virginia

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
I am not sure what sort of "Brewpub" there would have been in Virginia 30 years ago as the craft beer explosion was still fifteen years away, and bars, meaning "serving alcohol but not meals" are not legal in VA anyway.

I suspect that what you were heading for was more of a roadhouse or honky-tonk than what we would understand today as being a "brewpub".
Long time ago, so racking remaining brain cells, Richmond I think and it was in an old building where the area was at the start of gentrification. We had had little success in finding decent places.

I do remember asking for glasses out of the washing machine and otherwise you got one out of the freezer. I can still picture it, not sure I could find it again.
Boiler is online now  
Old Apr 4th 2019, 7:42 am
  #64  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Georgette's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2019
Location: Hertfordshire
Posts: 46
Georgette is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Possible move to Virginia

So the kind of houses i have been looking at are within a community, the ones with like pools and tennis courts that put events on every month. I assumed these kind of neighbourhoods would be on the safer side? Obviously i have a 1 year old and safety/crime is something i am worried about, there would be times my husband has to travel to the other sites that are being developed in other states and i wont always go with him so i need to feel safe on my own.
Georgette is offline  
Old Apr 4th 2019, 7:44 am
  #65  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Georgette's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2019
Location: Hertfordshire
Posts: 46
Georgette is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Possible move to Virginia

Originally Posted by robtuck View Post
To Georgette, without getting too personal, if you've been living on less than he'd be earning (take home) state side, and you are within spitting distance of the big smoke in the UK, you will probably be ok, especially if he can argue a good case for being paid at the higher end of the bracket you mentioned in your research. If he is in Management then it would seem likely they'll come back with a recommendation for an L1A Visa - the company will need to employ lawyers to submit the application for them. You'll have a pain the arse form to complete which will ask you questions like, have you ever been involved prostitution (I assumed answering No was more likely to get you in, but who knows), and you'll have to outline the responsibilities of what he does today and what he will be doing in the role. If they go down the L1A route, they'll be looking for lots of descriptions about Directing other people to do the work or having Executive style responsibilities over budgets for example.

As per Pulaski's note, treat it like an entirely foreign country, because it is, they just use some of the same words - assuming you end up taking the leap. The line in Pulp Fiction from Travolta around it being the little things is true, but go in with the right mindset and it can be fun.
We currently live on a lower wage than what he would be earning out there, our left over disposable income would be more in USA (after everything i have budgeted for) and i get to be with my daughter so yes we would be better off but only slightly. When i start working we would be much better off even with childcare costs, its just the not knowing how long it will take for me to be able to work (not that i would be in any rush and would only want to work part time)
Georgette is offline  
Old Apr 4th 2019, 7:50 am
  #66  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 27,605
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible move to Virginia

Originally Posted by Georgette View Post
We currently live on a lower wage than what he would be earning out there, our left over disposable income would be more in USA (after everything i have budgeted for)
It might be worth giving that budget, so that those in the know can let you know of anything you've missed off the list, or correct any figures that aren't in the right ballpark. Not sure where you've got your figures from so far, but I'd recommend you stay away from websites like Numbeo. Hopefully as more people add to them the figures will be more accurate, but for now they're usually wildly off the mark.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Apr 4th 2019, 8:09 am
  #67  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Georgette's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2019
Location: Hertfordshire
Posts: 46
Georgette is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Possible move to Virginia

I cant attached a picture so i will write down what i have
Income per month = $5800
rent - 2000
Tax - 400
Electricity - 100
Gas - 100
Water - 50
cable - 70 (we dont have cable here we just use netflix and now TV)
Sofa - 50 (this is a contract from here that we will still have to pay)
Phones - 100
Car monthly x 2- 450
insurance - 200
fuel - 250
Loans - 200 (again we well still have to pay for them)
Home insurance - 50
Health insurance - 500
Life insurance - 30 (just for me, he has it through work)
Food - 550 ( i did a online food shop from Walmart for our weekly shop last week to compare and it came to 120)
Total - 5100 (700 left)
I can also note that my husband has shares in the company and starting in November he can start selling them, the first lot (at this current time) is worth 10k then the next lot are worth 18k so we are going to have a back up fund but we wanted to put some into savings and use it for travelling)

I got most of my figures just from googling and getting fake quotes, let me know how off you think i am
Georgette is offline  
Old Apr 4th 2019, 9:41 am
  #68  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Oz -> UK -> San Diego
Posts: 9,906
Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible move to Virginia

Have you looked at childcare costs in the area that you are planning on living in?
Some parts of the country are astronomical. I'm on the west coast and was paying $1500/mo for a while.

Also, when your husband is negotiating his salary/package, he needs to be aware that it's OK to be talking about large figures. eg if he's on "60" now, saying the words "142" might sound like an outrageous number. The company isn't doing him a favour - it is he who MAY be able to help it out at potentially great personal cost and disruption.
Ozzidoc is offline  
Old Apr 4th 2019, 9:51 am
  #69  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Georgette's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2019
Location: Hertfordshire
Posts: 46
Georgette is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Possible move to Virginia

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc View Post
Have you looked at childcare costs in the area that you are planning on living in?
Some parts of the country are astronomical. I'm on the west coast and was paying $1500/mo for a while.

Also, when your husband is negotiating his salary/package, he needs to be aware that it's OK to be talking about large figures. eg if he's on "60" now, saying the words "142" might sound like an outrageous number. The company isn't doing him a favour - it is he who MAY be able to help it out at potentially great personal cost and disruption.
Ive looked at a few day care's around the area, looks like 3 days would cost around $1000 per month, when i eventually get a job i would hope to take home $1500 ish so still making $500 extra a month. Also yes the high numbers do make us fee like we would be asking to much but we have to remember the exchange rate makes it seem more as well. The worst thing that can happen i suppose is they say no
Georgette is offline  
Old Apr 4th 2019, 9:54 am
  #70  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 27,605
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible move to Virginia

Originally Posted by Georgette View Post
Ive looked at a few day care's around the area, looks like 3 days would cost around $1000 per month, when i eventually get a job i would hope to take home $1500 ish so still making $500 extra a month. Also yes the high numbers do make us fee like we would be asking to much but we have to remember the exchange rate makes it seem more as well. The worst thing that can happen i suppose is they say no
I'd wait and see what they offer first. They may be offering more than you're expecting! So I'd get them to show their hand first personally and then you can negotiate up from there if needed. There's a general rule that's been quoted on here before for getting the same standard of living in the US as in the UK, I've got a vague recollection it's 2.5 times the UK figure i.e. if he's on £50k in the UK, he'd need $125k to give a similar standard in the US. But that is a very vague rule, obviously it will depend on things like the area you're moving to, the medical package offered, etc, etc.

I'm afraid I have no idea on your figures, but others will be along once the US wakes up to help you work out if they're about right or not.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Apr 4th 2019, 10:14 am
  #71  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Georgette's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2019
Location: Hertfordshire
Posts: 46
Georgette is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Possible move to Virginia

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
I'd wait and see what they offer first. They may be offering more than you're expecting! So I'd get them to show their hand first personally and then you can negotiate up from there if needed. There's a general rule that's been quoted on here before for getting the same standard of living in the US as in the UK, I've got a vague recollection it's 2.5 times the UK figure i.e. if he's on £50k in the UK, he'd need $125k to give a similar standard in the US. But that is a very vague rule, obviously it will depend on things like the area you're moving to, the medical package offered, etc, etc.

I'm afraid I have no idea on your figures, but others will be along once the US wakes up to help you work out if they're about right or not.
This is what i'm hoping, they may go in high straight away as my DH was one of the 1st people on this project when it started and now they want it implemented in 20 states across america, so it would be more work than what he is doing now anyway
Georgette is offline  
Old Apr 4th 2019, 10:59 am
  #72  
Lt Col (Retd)
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 45,615
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible move to Virginia

Originally Posted by Georgette View Post
Ive looked at a few day care's around the area, looks like 3 days would cost around $1000 per month, …..
That sounds very cheap - maybe what is known as "in-home daycare", which you may or may not be comfortable with. Or it may be the subsidized rate that is available to those on low income.

We were paying over $1,000/wk (5 days) seven years ago, and having looked at other daycare's the starting point for any facility we would have been comfortable for our daughter, was $800/wk ten years ago …. in an area where costs are much lower than DC. Dependent on income the $1,000/wk facility could have cost some one on low income less than $250/wk, so you can imagine what the unsubsidized rate for your $1,000/mth might be, and honestly around $1,000/3 days - $1,500/wk is what I was expecting to find for childcare in DC. … I just Googled "daycare Washington DC" and the results are coming up with figures "from …" which makes me think they are the subsidized rates being quoted.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 4th 2019 at 11:03 am.
Pulaski is online now  
Old Apr 4th 2019, 11:11 am
  #73  
Lt Col (Retd)
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 45,615
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible move to Virginia

Originally Posted by Georgette View Post
So the kind of houses i have been looking at are within a community, the ones with like pools and tennis courts that put events on every month. I assumed these kind of neighbourhoods would be on the safer side? Obviously i have a 1 year old and safety/crime is something i am worried about, there would be times my husband has to travel to the other sites that are being developed in other states and i wont always go with him so i need to feel safe on my own.
Maybe, maybe not - those types of development have been popular for over 20 years, and some are now a bit down-at-heel. There are sites that allow you to find reports of people who live there, and if they're near a college then they may have students who live there. A colleague (not in DC) has been living in a place like that for the past 18 months while they have a house built, and she reports that living there has been "an experience" - having children has put them in a different demographic from most of the residents.

You might consider looking for a home in a "mixed use development", which is a newer type of development, which combines homes with retail and service businesses in one "walkable" package, so you might typically find that within walking distance there are shops and restaurants, maybe a supermarket and perhaps healthcare services too.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 4th 2019 at 12:37 pm.
Pulaski is online now  
Old Apr 4th 2019, 11:26 am
  #74  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Georgette's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2019
Location: Hertfordshire
Posts: 46
Georgette is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Possible move to Virginia

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
That sounds very cheap - maybe what is known as "in-home daycare", which you may or may not be comfortable with. Or it may be the subsidized rate that is available to those on low income.

We were paying over $1,000/wk (5 days) seven years ago, and having looked at other daycare's the starting point for any facility we would have been comfortable for our daughter, was $800/wk ten years ago …. in an area where costs are much lower than DC. Dependent on income the $1,000/wk facility could have cost some one on low income less than $250/wk, so you can imagine what the unsubsidized rate for your $1,000/mth might be, and honestly around $1,000/3 days - $1,500/wk is what I was expecting to find for childcare in DC. … I just Googled "daycare Washington DC" and the results are coming up with figures "from …" which makes me think they are the subsidized rates being quoted.
Most of the daycare websites i go on don't show prices you have to get in contact which is annoying but i found some that had prices, 1 was $315 per week for 5 days which would cost around $1350 per month full time but i would only want 3 days. Another i found was $1400 per months full time. We would also consider in home daycare, this is what we currently use in the UK for our daughter anyway (its called a childminder here)
Georgette is offline  
Old Apr 4th 2019, 11:29 am
  #75  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Georgette's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2019
Location: Hertfordshire
Posts: 46
Georgette is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Possible move to Virginia

Okay i will look into mixed use development, would be nice to be in walking distance of some kind of shops/coffee shop. I've noticed that playgrounds are quite sparce over there, where i live now i am in 10 minutes walking distance of 4 different playgrounds
Georgette is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.